I purchased an $800 pearl necklace... and now I'm not so sure!!

Vancouverboy

Hi all,

I recently purchased (on a Boxing Day sale) a 16" 5.5mm pearl necklace. Unfortunately in my rush to take advantage of the Boxing day sale, I neglected to do my due diligence research on pearls (as I am a first time purchaser) or on the vendor (who turn out to have terrible reviews online and of course have a 'no refund' policy). Suffice it to say I am relatively certain I have paid at least twice what they are actually worth.

I ordered based on a discussion with a jeweler in a shop, and a written order which stated:

Custom made 5.5mm w. pearl natural, 16 inch long attached yellow gold plate (plated)
And then below that stated 'lovek RS INI' which means I have no idea what.

In any case, when I went to pick up the pearls, I found that A) they were poorly matched, as they had a wide variation in size, roundness, and lustre even to my untrained eye, and B) were most definitely not natural pearls, as I since found out how rare natural pearls are.

Now I am contemplating attempting to force them to give me a refund, as the consumer law here in British Columbia (Sale of Goods Act) says that implied in the sale of a new item is a condition that the goods must match the description of the order - which they clearly do not.

I am wondering what people on here think of the value of this necklace, and my contemplated next steps?

Any help is much appreciated. Never will I be buying jewelry again without proper research!

IMG_1338 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1341 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1342 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1343 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1345 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1349 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1356 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1357 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1358 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1359 (1024x768).jpg

You're correct. The pearls are not natural. They are cultured, Chinese freshwater. The quality isn't terrible, but is commercial. I find it very surprising that the clasp is plated when the necklace is being sold at such a crazy high price. $800 is fine jewelry. Plated clasp is fashion jewelry, IMO.

You could probably have a number of people recreate the necklace for you for around $50. If the pearls were sold/finished/knotted in China (considering the clasp has little to no value), maybe $10 to $15.

The price is outrageous. You were given a good deal for a strand of naturals, but sold a strand of low-grade, very small (5.5 mm) Chinese freshwater = very bad deal.

Whoa! The pearls are not bad, but definitely NOT worth the price, especially with gold plated clasp! :eek:

What is their description of the necklace quality? I don't understand how it's working there, but try to do whatever you can to get refund.

What is the vendor, btw?

If the Canadian Sale of Goods Act is anything like the UK one there has been a clear breach of a sale by description. They were described as natural pearls, they aren;t they're cultured.

Definitely go back and insist on a refund. The law is on your side as a consumer, since the vendor sold you an item that clearly does not match its description.

I agree. Calling them "natural" pearls is a fraud, and charging 10 times their value as akoya pearls, proves it. I would take strong measures.

Do whatever you must, but get your money back. Clearly, you've been a victim of fraud. With that budget you can buy fabulous pearls! Please let us know how this gets resolved. If you paid with a credit card you may be able to dispute the charges through that company.

you really should report this, you were sold inexpensive freshwater pearls. If $800 was the boxing day price I'd hate to see the everyday price they wanted? I'd explain to them why you are upset with the purchase and ask for a refund, if they refuse contact your local BBB.

That is an amazing story. Get tough and go back and demand a refund. We're in your corner! :)

You bought that from a store in BC. Insist on a refund. Nothing extraordinary in the pearls, clasp or workmanship. That piece is < 100 CDN

Thanks all for your advice and help. I am having the pearl necklace evaluated this Friday so I have a piece of paper I can go into the store with and demand a refund (or an exchange for something of proper value). I have been warned by 2 separate jewelers not to be too aggressive, as the people may react - 'honey is better than vinegar'. Not too sure how that approach will work however. I have also written a letter to them officially rejecting the merchandise they have given me, as it does not comply with the written order. I want to do everything I can to resolve this outside a small claims court, as I am leaving the country for New Zealand at the end of next week - so any advice on how best to resolve this quickly would be appreciated.

I have also made a leaflet with the terrible Google reviews on this place which I plan to threaten to sit outside their store all day Saturday and hand out if they do not comply.

In any respect, let this be a warning to ALL PEOPLE thinking of buying jewellery - stay away from Saatchi and Saatchi on Robson street in Vancouver! They are terrible! There are so many stories and complaints I have now heard about this company - ripping off everyone they can, especially tourists.
Google reviews (0 out of 10):
https://plus.google.com/104464382132103771219/about?gl=CA&hl=en-CA
BBB:
http://www.bbb.org/mbc/business-rev...y-in-vancouver-bc-112802/complaints#breakdown

Saatchi.jpgSaatchi2.jpg

Attachments

• Saatchi.jpg
    Saatchi.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Saatchi2.jpg
    Saatchi2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 26
I find the best way to do this is to simply and calmly state your case, don't get drawn into a debate or discussion and then, if they refuse say, well, that's absolutely no problem, I'll just nip down to the county court (or the Canadian small civil claims equivalent) and issue a writ...you are required by law to tell me the name of the company registered office (or you can get it from your equivalent of Companies House). you do realise that this will add all sorts of court costs to my claim, don't you?
make sure you are talking to an organ grinder and not a monkey too. Someone authorised to give a refund, otherwise you could be telling the story over and over.
icy calm and no discussion is the secret

Thanks again for all your help, everyone - I really appreciate it and have been greatly encouraged to find honest people out there! I have had the pearls appraised, and they are 'oval shaped white fresh water cultured pearls'. It was also 3/4" too short (15.25" instead of 16"). The replacement value was stated at $200 - i.e. 1/4 of the value I paid for them.

I went to the jewellers (Saatchi and Saatchi) yesterday, and at first they threatened to throw me out, because I demanded a refund under the BC Goods and Sales Act as the pearls did not match the order description ('natural' pearls). They stated that they employed a lawyer full year round and if I wanted to take this in a legal direction, as I had taken the pearls out of the store (to have them appraised) there was no way I could prove that these were the ones they had originally sold me. I don't want to get embroiled in a claims case and so at that point decided to opt for the friendly route. This seemed to work better, as their original response eventually moved to a willingness to give me a gift certificate for the original value.

I decided to opt for this gift certificate, as they have Bulova watches in their store which seem to be selling for similar prices to those on Amazon/eBay. My question now is how to 'move' several watches were I to purchase them. I have also posted an ad on craigslist for the gift certificate at a 15% reduced value in hopes someone would be interested.

Difficult situation, but life lesson well learnt! Any further advice on what to do with my gift certificate appreciated...

Unfortunate. They stole from you and lied to you. Even your $200 replacement value is extraordinarily high retail for what you have. You really were dealing with crooks.

Disgraceful!

I hope you will add to whatever bad reviews they already have online.

I decided to opt for this gift certificate, as they have Bulova watches in their store which seem to be selling for similar prices to those on Amazon/eBay. My question now is how to 'move' several watches were I to purchase them. I have also posted an ad on craigslist for the gift certificate at a 15% reduced value in hopes someone would be interested.

Difficult situation, but life lesson well learnt! Any further advice on what to do with my gift certificate appreciated...

Very sorry to hear this sad tale of a bad deal. Disappointing all round.
As the Monty Python song goes, 'always look on the bright side of life' - you have got rid of the pearls, you have a gift certificate for $800 that you might be able to sell on or why not spend it in the shop (I know, hard to swallow) on various items that you can give to family and friends for birthdays and other special occasions through the year. Who knows, they might even give you a big discount? LOL.

Back