Am I asking too much for my Budget?

MissPanda

I am looking to purchase a used Mikimoto pearl necklace for my pearl jewelry collection. My budget is $1500, and I prefer a necklace with a length of 16 to 18 inches and pearl sizes ranging from 7mm to 7.5mm, of Akoya quality. I'm wondering if my budget is sufficient to find a necklace that meets these specifications or if I should consider adjusting my expectations. Ive been looking for used or estate sales. So far no luck.

Any advice or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

The risk with buying a Mikimoto 'brand' piece is that there is no guarantee that the pearls which are on that clasp and in that box started out with the clasp and box.
Even if you go to Mikimoto to get them inspected they can only suck their teeth and say the pearls are the right quality etc for that clasp. Reputable auctioneers might be a source, but I did see a horrible strand of Tahitians listed on one such. (local or national level, either specific jewellery sales or house clearances) The pearls looked as if they had spent some time being chewed by a vacuum cleaner, poor things. Reserve price was £950.

That specific brand, Mikimoto, in that specific size and length would be an in-demand item, therefore harder to find.
And there is that issue that pearlescence mentioned-- any pearls can be strung with a Mikimoto clasp. Unless the necklace comes with original paperwork I'd be leery.

I would say: "Why Mikimoto and not just look for High Quality Akoya pearls elsewhere?"
I know it is a brand name and this means a lot for many people, but what you really want are high quality Akoya pearls!
And right now...pearl prices HAVE GONE UP! Best to look for freshwater pearls to find that price range.

What about these? They have authentication. They appear to be 6mm or so, not 7-8mm. Just worth a look...

I know that ANY pearls could be put on a Mikimoto clasp, but WHY? Why would someone remove high-end lovely Mikimoto pearls from a Mikimoto clasp and then put them on a lesser clasp in order to put lesser pearls on a Mikimoto clasp? (Other than perhaps damage to the original pearl necklace). That act alone would devalue both the pearls and the clasp. Perhaps someone can explain this to me.

I have an Anniversary 1894 Mikimoto strand of pearls but would never restring them myself, as it would invalidate their value. I learned from Mikimoto that if you need your pearls restrung, and you want your pearls to remain authentic, you must bring or send them to Mikimoto for restringing.

I have seen Mikimoto clasps sold on eBay.
A buyer could then attach them to any strand.

Edited to add:
Here are a few that sold recently:
Miki white gold clasp sold recently on eBay

Miki yellow gold clasp sold recently on eBay

I also see a bracelet clasp currently listed.
OK, so I guess the pearls were either damaged or repurposed without this original clasp. Makes sense now, people trying to perhaps recover some money for a damaged strand that is not sellable. Thanks for this information.

I have seen Mikimoto clasps sold on eBay.
A buyer could then attach them to any strand.

Edited to add:
Here are a few that sold recently:
Miki white gold clasp sold recently on eBay

Miki yellow gold clasp sold recently on eBay

I also see a bracelet clasp currently listed.
During my initial search on Etsy, I came across a seller who had an extensive collection of "Mikimoto" necklaces. However, I noticed they were missing the M charm and did not come with a certificate of authenticity. The seller was asking prices ranging from 2k to 4k for these necklaces. After reading everyone's input, I am grateful that I didn't make a purchase without questioning the authenticity. It seems unusual for one seller to have such a large quantity of necklaces from a high-end brand with larger pearl sizes, raising suspicions about their legitimacy. Thanks again!

What about these? They have authentication. They appear to be 6mm or so, not 7-8mm. Just worth a look...

I know that ANY pearls could be put on a Mikimoto clasp, but WHY? Why would someone remove high-end lovely Mikimoto pearls from a Mikimoto clasp and then put them on a lesser clasp in order to put lesser pearls on a Mikimoto clasp? (Other than perhaps damage to the original pearl necklace). That act alone would devalue both the pearls and the clasp. Perhaps someone can explain this to me.

I have an Anniversary 1894 Mikimoto strand of pearls but would never restring them myself, as it would invalidate their value. I learned from Mikimoto that if you need your pearls restrung, and you want your pearls to remain authentic, you must bring or send them to Mikimoto for restringing.
Wow, I must say I'm extremely jealous of your necklace. It must be absolutely stunning. Oh, I didn't realize that restringing pearls couldn't be done at a local jewelry shop. I was planning on doing this with my Mikimoto. Thank you for sharing this helpful information with me.

During my initial search on Etsy, I came across a seller who had an extensive collection of "Mikimoto" necklaces. However, I noticed they were missing the M charm and did not come with a certificate of authenticity. The seller was asking prices ranging from 2k to 4k for these necklaces. After reading everyone's input, I am grateful that I didn't make a purchase without questioning the authenticity. It seems unusual for one seller to have such a large quantity of necklaces from a high-end brand with larger pearl sizes, raising suspicions about their legitimacy. Thanks again!
I don't know when Mikimoto began adding the M charm (does anyone know?)

I don't...but I searched online and found this:

"Mikimoto pearls is a brand of cultured pearls founded by Kokichi Mikimoto, who created the world’s first cultured pearls in 18931. The “M” charm, also known as the Mikimoto clasp, is a signature feature of Mikimoto pearl jewelry that represents the initial of the founder and the quality of the pearls. According to the web search results, the “M” charm was introduced in 1930, when Mikimoto opened his first overseas store in London2. The “M” charm was designed to appeal to the European market and to distinguish Mikimoto pearls from other brands3. Since then, the “M” charm has become a symbol of Mikimoto’s legacy and craftsmanship."

My anniversary 1893 Mikimoto round clasp with a diamond push button, DOES have the "M" charm.
Here is what it says on the Mikimoto website:
You can always identify Mikimoto jewelry by our trademark, which is either the outline of an oyster or the Mikimoto name engraved on every piece. This engraved mark can be found in the following locations:

• Necklaces and bracelets: back of clasp. They are also fitted with a signature M charm. As the clasp is the only place in a strand or bracelet where the Mikimoto trademark is engraved, it is not possible to appraise a strand or a bracelet as genuine Mikimoto without it.
  • Earrings: on post, earring nuts or back of earrings
  • Rings: inside the shank
  • Pendants: on the back of the bail
  • Brooches: on the underside of the brooch
This was posted on forum.purseblog.com
I though it was very interesting! Good information...
I just purchased a vintage mikimoto 18 inch pearl strand for 2500. The pearls are 8.5mm. Is that a good price? I don't know too much about pearls but I like 8mm size. Are there any issues/concerns with "vintage" pearls? I do not know how old they are but it has the classic 18k clasp with the seed pearl in the middle. It does not have the M initial on it. I have not received them yet but the jeweler described them as "excellent" and it will come with an appraisal. Do you think I should keep the vintage necklace or just save and save and get a brand new one. Do pearls wear badly if one doesn't take care of them?? I am just afraid of buying "vintage" because I do not know the history and care of the pearls. Please help me!

Thanks!

Hi! I know this is a super old thread, but I am a huge fan of Mikimoto pearls and can help.

On the "M" charm, it started in the 2000s, and the "M" first was first at the first position (the first pearl after the clasp). I have a necklace where my "M" is in the first position and that necklace was purchased in 2008. The newer necklaces have the "M" charm in the third position. You can look at the Mikimoto website and old photos to see the difference.

On your strand, I would recommend you send it to Mikimoto to do two things:
1) Have it restrung and 2) Get it appraised.

I say this because they will confirm the exact size and grade of your necklace. Your pearls are Akoya, and the largest these pearls get is 10mm. An 8mm is a great size, but if they are 8.5mm, there is a bigger jump in price. Then when you get to 9-9.5mm, there is even a greater jump in price. So... you should know if they are 7.5mm-8.0mm or 8.0-8.5mm.... it makes a difference. The other thing they will tell you is the grade. AAA is the best and A1 is the lowest. That said, if your pearls are A1, it still means they are in the top 3% (something like that) of all pearls. So don't worry if they come back A1... really, you just want them to be confirmed as genuine Mikimoto. I have purchased A1, A, AA... and quite frankly, I some of my A1s look prettier than my A, so I wouldn't get hung up on that. The grade will also affect the pricing.

On pricing, the restringing is very reasonable. It is priced by the inch, and last time I restrung mine, it was $4.00 per inch. You can also purchase an "M" charm. They are about $110.00 each. Also, if you wish to lengthen your strand, Mikimoto can match your pearls and lengthen. Just imagine they can do anything, so while they are restringing them, it would be the time to make any adjustments (e.g. add the "M" charm).

Congratulations on your Mikimotos! I love love love MIkimotos and I am sure you will too. I bet they will not be your last strand either! Mikimoto pearls glow and are well worth the price. You got a great price on yours!

For the "full story" from purseblog, see this link:

Interesting info, thanks!
I'm sure if I dig through your threads I can find a photo of the "anniversary 1893 Mikimoto round clasp with a diamond push button" (BTW did you mean to write 1983?) but if you can direct me to a photo I'd love to see it. Or post a photo. :)

I have mixed feelings about visible charms in pearl necklaces. (I feel the same way about wearing clothing and accessories with visible logos.)
I also wonder if the charm will scratch the adjacent pearls over time.

Mikimoto officially started in 1893, so in 1993 they created an "1893" clasp to celebrate 100 years. This is the anniversary clasp. It has Mikimoto 1893 stamped around the ball, and has a diamond push button open. These strands also have the "M" charm. The one shown is from an EBay strand of Tahitian pearls currently for sale $7,850. My strand is 7-7.5mm white Akoya and the clasp is 18KYG and also has a Gold "M" Charm.
Mikimoto Clasp 1893.jpg

I have not noticed any scratching on my Mikimoto strand, but I do store it in a pearl folder where the charm is dangling freely from the pearls as pictured above. I do not store pearls in pouches where they can rub against each other.

My anniversary 1893 Mikimoto round clasp with a diamond push button, DOES have the "M" charm.
Here is what it says on the Mikimoto website:
You can always identify Mikimoto jewelry by our trademark, which is either the outline of an oyster or the Mikimoto name engraved on every piece. This engraved mark can be found in the following locations:

• Necklaces and bracelets: back of clasp. They are also fitted with a signature M charm. As the clasp is the only place in a strand or bracelet where the Mikimoto trademark is engraved, it is not possible to appraise a strand or a bracelet as genuine Mikimoto without it.
  • Earrings: on post, earring nuts or back of earrings
  • Rings: inside the shank
  • Pendants: on the back of the bail
  • Brooches: on the underside of the brooch
This was posted on forum.purseblog.com
I though it was very interesting! Good information...

Hi! I know this is a super old thread, but I am a huge fan of Mikimoto pearls and can help.

On the "M" charm, it started in the 2000s, and the "M" first was first at the first position (the first pearl after the clasp). I have a necklace where my "M" is in the first position and that necklace was purchased in 2008. The newer necklaces have the "M" charm in the third position. You can look at the Mikimoto website and old photos to see the difference.

On your strand, I would recommend you send it to Mikimoto to do two things:
1) Have it restrung and 2) Get it appraised.

I say this because they will confirm the exact size and grade of your necklace. Your pearls are Akoya, and the largest these pearls get is 10mm. An 8mm is a great size, but if they are 8.5mm, there is a bigger jump in price. Then when you get to 9-9.5mm, there is even a greater jump in price. So... you should know if they are 7.5mm-8.0mm or 8.0-8.5mm.... it makes a difference. The other thing they will tell you is the grade. AAA is the best and A1 is the lowest. That said, if your pearls are A1, it still means they are in the top 3% (something like that) of all pearls. So don't worry if they come back A1... really, you just want them to be confirmed as genuine Mikimoto. I have purchased A1, A, AA... and quite frankly, I some of my A1s look prettier than my A, so I wouldn't get hung up on that. The grade will also affect the pricing.

On pricing, the restringing is very reasonable. It is priced by the inch, and last time I restrung mine, it was $4.00 per inch. You can also purchase an "M" charm. They are about $110.00 each. Also, if you wish to lengthen your strand, Mikimoto can match your pearls and lengthen. Just imagine they can do anything, so while they are restringing them, it would be the time to make any adjustments (e.g. add the "M" charm).

Congratulations on your Mikimotos! I love love love MIkimotos and I am sure you will too. I bet they will not be your last strand either! Mikimoto pearls glow and are well worth the price. You got a great price on yours!
Thanks for posting this! I have wondered about when the M charm started as well.

Back