Help with how to attach single pearl to chain necklace.

Katbran

OK...I've got the Rolo chain... I've got the Tahitian pearl....now I want the pearl to sit..float..in the centre of the necklace. I figured that one would run a couple of inches of wire through the pearl and loop and wrap..looks terrible. I think I'm using the wrong wire..cause I can't get it to make a loop, wrap it and have the loop small enough that it looks really good. The last wire I tried was Sterling 22g HH .. and it's still seems too big a loop for the 2cm Rolo chain. Is there a technique to this to get the chain closer to the pearl? Maybe a finer softer wire? Or PowerPro and gimp with a small sterling donut bead? Driving me crazy and I've rebuilt it 5 times now....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr All assistance and techniques gratefully accepted !!!!

I think you are on the right track, Katbran. 24g wire is a good weight. Make the loop right at the end of your round nose pliers. No need to wrap the wire 3x unless you especially like that look, strong enough with 1 1/2-2 wraps. Are you using a rolo chain that is about 2mm?

Thanks very much for that info I have every wire except 24 lol Figures !! Not being someone who works much with wire I was at a bit of a loss and didn't want to keep buying in wire till I hit the right one ! Pattye it is about 2mm/2.3mm Rolo chain..... And good to know that 1.5 wraps will do ! Wendy I will post a before and after ! You're right I should have stuck a photo in there but it was late and I was sick of the $&*(&$*(&)@&(&* thing! Thanks very much Melissa..good to know the is hope at the end of this wirey tunnel ! Thanks very much lovely people, saved me again !!

Thanks for that Pattye !!!!!! ..my local suppliers (can you believe that I just found a local branch of a national findings company .... years of paying for shipping from Perth and Sydney....geeeeez Kathleen...it's called Google! ) don't have any in but will have it by Thursday (prob getting it from my guy in Perth lol judging from the mark up ... but no shipping so find for small orders) .. but then I thought .. darn..what hardness... We will see ! I may be writing back to tell you how well it works in 24g Soft. lol

Congratulations on finding a local supplier, Kathleen! If the wire is too "soft" to hold a good loop, you can work-harden it a bit by drawing it through nylon jaw pliers a few times. Look forward to seeing the results. Good luck!

Another option is to use a cap with threaded peg (Secure them with 24h araldite or similar), it provides a very neat effect with little wire work needed.

Here's one I made a few months back

PearlCaps.jpg

Katbran, not sure what a Rolo chain is, but I thought of this bracelet when I read this thread. We used a method similar to what Bernadette has shown except that the pearls on this bracelet are attached from one side only and float around the wrist. Hope this helps. :)

Attachments

• DSC00036.jpg
    DSC00036.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 45
Hi Katbran,

I live in the south-eastern part of South Australia - well east of Adelaide anyway. Just a thought in case you have problems wire working or similar. I have been mean to do a similar necklace. Just a chain with one pearl on it in the style of "add a pearl" necklaces. But if you have a chain you want to use and it would fit through the drill hole you may need to cut the chain in a suitable place near the clasp, thread your pearl on and then get a jeweller to solder it for you. You would need to make sure that any chain used could be soldered. Some are so fine that it would not be possible.
I have not done it but have seen necklaces like this and I doubt a fine chain would hurt the pearl anymore than wire could do or not much :) do see what others say about it though. Just another option for you. I might try it myself for a customer who wants a natural pearl before long. Or I might do wire wrapping for it.

I am guessing you are still up if you are in Perth or thereabouts. Please post photos when you get it done.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Hi Katbran,

I live in the south-eastern part of South Australia - well east of Adelaide anyway. Just a thought in case you have problems wire working or similar. I have been mean to do a similar necklace. Just a chain with one pearl on it in the style of "add a pearl" necklaces. But if you have a chain you want to use and it would fit through the drill hole you may need to cut the chain in a suitable place near the clasp, thread your pearl on and then get a jeweller to solder it for you. You would need to make sure that any chain used could be soldered. Some are so fine that it would not be possible.
I have not done it but have seen necklaces like this and I doubt a fine chain would hurt the pearl anymore than wire could do or not much :) do see what others say about it though. Just another option for you. I might try it myself for a customer who wants a natural pearl before long. Or I might do wire wrapping for it.

I am guessing you are still up if you are in Perth or thereabouts. Please post photos when you get it done.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round p

Hi Dawn ! I'm actually just in Adelaide ! I just found the Jewellery supply place across from the Myer store in town. Nice people..they ordered in the wire for me and it certainly worked better. I may have to find you and get some lessons !! lol

Back