GSS set, aka, "There's no such thing as a free lunch":

BAS

In the Fall, my bff from college treated me to a sushi lunch so we could catch up. Over lunch she admired my baroque silver/blue akoya set, wishing she had pearls other than "black and white" (Tahitian and WSS). She wished she had golden pearls. I asked her if she was serious, because I knew Hisano and Jeremy were heading to HK soon, and her wish never had a better chance of coming true. Yep, she was serious.

I contacted Jeremy and Hisano and lo and behold, they found two extraordinary strands. My friend chose one, leaving the truly exceptional strand available. Mind you, both strands were absolutely gorgeous. But as a pearl collector, I knew the one she left on the table was a once-in-a-lifetime strand. I was never drawn to GSS, but I fell hard, real hard, for this deep golden round strand. Here's Jeremy's casual shot from HK:

GSS strand in HK.jpg

I ended up buying this strand and a pair of (even deeper) golden ovals for earrings:

GSS strand with drops.jpg

Here are both strands pre-strung. Mine is the outer strand:

GSS strands 1 and 2.jpg

Last edited:
Then came the fun of choosing a clasp and designing findings for the ovals. I was fortunate enough to meet with John, Hisano and Jeremy at PP the next month to discuss options. Hisano and I ended up with "sister" diamond toggle clasps for our GSS strand and tin cup. John used 18 carat gold for the findings and toggle clasp. I wanted a simple, classic and elegant design:

GSS clasp discussion John and Jeremy.jpg

GSS clasp 1.jpg

GSS earrings and toggle clasp.jpg

GSS toggle close-up.jpg

GSS earring dangles with diamonds.jpg

Toggle Clasp Sisters!

GSS stand and earrings.jpg

GSS toggle clasp sisters.jpg

GSS strand with drops.jpg

Attachments

• GSS toggle with my strand and Hisano's tin cup.jpg
    GSS toggle with my strand and Hisano's tin cup.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I haven't received the strand restrung with the toggle clasp yet, but here are glamour shots courtesy of PP and Jo:
GSS glam shot 1.jpg

GSS glam shot 2.jpg

GSS glam shot 3.jpg

And finally, a few neck shots (with a temporary ball clasp). First with my Golden Lantern pendant, then with a robe and with a blue nightgown:

GSS with lantern.jpg

Attachments

• GSS neck shot.jpg
    GSS neck shot.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 32
  • GSS strand with robe.jpg
    GSS strand with robe.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 35
Thank you pattye, Pearl Dreams and suchi. I can hardly wait to see the strand with it's new toggle clasp! My friend is likely getting the same clasp for her strand.

How spectacular! I haven't had an urge for GSS pearls... until about now. Those are gorgeous! Congratulations on a purchase you'll always be happy for!

I can actually feel the luxury through my computer screen. They are gorgeous and you are as well BAS.

Oh, my, BAS!!! Those GSS are spellbounding!!! Congratulations to you & your friend for such beauties! PP knocked it out of the park with these!!

Those goldens are just beautiful. Love the findings to. Such a gorgeous strand.

I agree with my other Pearl guide Sisters, your GSS pearls are magnificent. I love the beautiful and oh so easy to handle clasp. Your earrings are so beautiful and special. Enjoy your goodies.

Wow those are gorgeous, and so is that pendant. I didn't even know a diamond toggle clasp was an option. I love a good toggle. Easy to use, and if made right, it won't come undone until you want it to. Plus, yours will sit diamond side up and not flip on you. Love it.

BAS, both you and those incredible GSS pearls are luminous and beautiful! The pearls really are once in a lifetime, and that clasp is breathtaking!!! Wear your new lovelies in great good fortune, dear :)

Those are stunning, BAS, and just right for you. I'm thinking of your Madamas, in particular. Enjoy these, as I'm sure you will.

Back