First Pearls Since Finding Forum, and Introduction

MoonSprinkles

Hello everyone! I did not know if there was a better place to make an introduction. Thank you all for all of the wonderful info I have found here during my time as a lurker. I decided it was time to join. I have had a love affair with pearls my whole life, starting with fake ones and gradually moving to lower-end genuine ones. My current best piece is a strand of AA+ lavender 6.5-7mm fw from PP. It came as a set with a bracelet and earrings but I never wore them so I sent the bracelet and necklace to be combined into one longer necklace and should have them back soon!
I bought an inexpensive piece from Catherine Cardellini last night. I know it is low grade, she says so right on the description, but I bought it for a few reasons. One, it is pretty! Two, I want to test out her clasp style as well as the weight of larger heavier pearls. I have severe sensory issues that make wearing jewelry difficult, but I am pretty determined to be able to wear pearls so I want to see if I can get used to the feel of the weight. I thought an inexpensive piece would be a good way to try it. Now I just have to wait three weeks for it to get here!
I hope to grow my collection, albeit slowly and gradually as I save up for awhile for each piece. My budget does not extend to the glorious GSS and Tahitian strands that I see on these threads, (goals!) though, as my husband says, "maybe some day!" But meanwhile I want to gradually gain some high quality and beautiful staple pieces. Any recommendations of "essentials" I should look into would be welcome!
But, if it were not for this forum I never would have found Catherine's site where I now have a long wishlist haha. So thank you everyone and I know I will continue learning and getting inspiration from all of you. I am also currently doing the Pearls As One course so I hope to further my knowledge there as well.
Here is the piece I ordered, for anyone curious. It is dyed freshwater, I thought good for around the house with my children, where I spend most of my time.
1289 Funky and Fun! Dyed Lilac Freshwater Pearl Necklace (1).jpg

Welcome to the forum, MoonSprinkles! Nice to see a lurker come out of the shadows.

Welcome. Those are pretty pearls. There is a place for imperfects indeed! There are others here with various issues with wearing heavy strands. One solution is to use inexpensive chain, or small gemstone rondelles, between the pearls (and fewer pearls, of course). This will lighten up the strand and still allow you to enjoy wearing the pearls.

Those look like fun, and a good way to find out how you like wearing larger/ heavier pearls.

Welcome. Those are pretty pearls. There is a place for imperfects indeed! There are others here with various issues with wearing heavy strands. One solution is to use inexpensive chain, or small gemstone rondelles, between the pearls (and fewer pearls, of course). This will lighten up the strand and still allow you to enjoy wearing the pearls.

Thank you for the ideas! Glad to know I'm not alone....I have issues with pendants as well, not just pearl, in general. I have discovered small and 16" seems to be my sweet spot but I am not sure the shorter pearls look as well on me so I am trying to get used to long strands.

Always a good idea to test drive large pearls to see if they bother you and the best way to do it is buy an very inexpensive strand. If they work out then you can always weigh them on a kitchen scale and then you know how many grams you prefer.

Oh that is a good idea I would not have thought to weigh them!

Congratulations for coming out of lurkville and your new purchase! How big are the pearls? I personally like ropes because you can see the pearls, and have found wire wrapping to be a fun way to stretch my pearls into ropes.

Congratulations for coming out of lurkville and your new purchase! How big are the pearls? I personally like ropes because you can see the pearls, and have found wire wrapping to be a fun way to stretch my pearls into ropes.

Thanks! I also like ropes but 98% of my time is spent at home with my children so I feel sometimes like longer necklaces swing and get in the way. And maybe it sounds silly to wear pearls and other jewelry around the house but I am a stay at home mom so if I only wear things when I go out I never wear them. And I would rather wear and enjoy them, tbh. Of course, I do save some things just for going out!

Forgot to add, the biggest pearls are 12.5 and the smallest are around 10.5mm

Welcome! I'm a relatively new member after being a longtime lurker as well. Everyone here is so welcoming & helpful with answers to questions & ideas. Your new pearls are a beautiful color & I agree with others that getting an inexpensive strand to try out larger pearls is a good way to go. Will love to see them on the neck when you get them!

Welcome! I'm a relatively new member after being a longtime lurker as well. Everyone here is so welcoming & helpful with answers to questions & ideas. Your new pearls are a beautiful color & I agree with others that getting an inexpensive strand to try out larger pearls is a good way to go. Will love to see them on the neck when you get them!
Thank you! I have honestly been amazed by how lovely and helpful people are here, it is so nice! I will post a neck shot when I get them, it could be around three weeks though. They have been shipped it just is supposed to take awhile!

Hi, MoonSprinkles. I'm fairly new to the forum and to pearls. While I mostly lurk on the forum, I've jumped with both feet into pearls. I hope you find yourself able to wear your new pearls. To me, wearing a string of pearls feels like a warm and sexy caress.

Welcome Moonsprinkles! I'm a newbie and the Forum is addictive. Half the fun is drooling over the gorgeous strands you'll see here when the ladies post their pictures.

Hi, MoonSprinkles. I'm fairly new to the forum and to pearls. While I mostly lurk on the forum, I've jumped with both feet into pearls. I hope you find yourself able to wear your new pearls. To me, wearing a string of pearls feels like a warm and sexy caress.

Pearls do feel sexy, I love the silky feel of them, and am hoping to get many more!

Back