IMG_3841.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 2. Blackish grey south Sea ring size 8, set in Silver
    2. Blackish grey south Sea ring size 8, set in Silver
    44.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3842trim.jpg
    IMG_3842trim.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 42
A wonderful solution to your problem, although I bet you look great with your hair pinned up! :)

I used the ones from Rio Grande for bracelets complimenting necklaces made with the pearl post clasps. This was my first Rio order. How about that! Discovered these clasps quite by accident.

Okay -- this may sound like a stupid question but I'm gonna ask: for the pearl that is hanging from the clasp -- how is it attached? It looks like a head pin is involved? Looks like a very cool clasp. Kate

Cathy, is it possible to string the pearls yourself and put the clasp on just with regular full drilled pearls, or do the end pearls have to be drilled specially?

Pearlcat, Raisondetre,

The drop pearl at the end is mine, leftover from another project. It's a regular full-drilled pearl. When I knotted the necklace from the other post, I used open jump rings to attach the regular ball clasp. I just re-opened the jump rings and attach to the 2 components of the frostlink clasp. The part that is attached to the drop pearl has a peg sticking out of one end of the horseshoe shape, just like any normal pendant with a peg (in this case the peg is on the right side of the 2nd picture from post #2). I used Vigor on the peg and pushed it into the top drill hole, testing w/o glue first, of course. The peg wasn't long enough to go through all the way. To cover up the bottom drill hole, I used a ball head pin, for example this one here http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/ProductPage.aspx?assetName=644678

From the angle of PP's photo, it looks like the horseshoe is completely attached to the pearl, without a gap, on both ends. My 2nd photo from post #2 shows a gap between one end of the horseshoe and the pearl. I would think any round or drop pearl no larger than 9.5mm or so would work. The drop pearl is 9.52 mm wide.

I wish I had taken photo before assembling. Hope that helps.

I will take another close-up photo tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sorry about the previous hasty, flashed photos. Here are a few close-ups showing the gold texture and the gap between the drop pearl and clasp.

Attachments

• IMG_3845.jpg
    IMG_3845.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 35
I used the ones from Rio Grande for bracelets complimenting necklaces made with the pearl post clasps. This was my first Rio order. How about that! Discovered these clasps quite by accident.

Hi knotty, can you show me what you mean by pearl post clasps? TIA.

Aaaahhhh -- I get it. I didn't see the gap so it was a little confusing but your picture shows it very clearly! Your pearls are so beautiful by the way! I may have to invest in PP's clasp -- It think the price is definitely fair. I love the look. I like Rio Grande but sometimes I think their prices are a tad high.

Most of the times, bellafindings.com has the same gold findings as Riogrande.com for less.

Hi knotty, can you show me what you mean by pearl post clasps? TIA.

The post that you glued the pearl onto the clasp, is what I call the pearl post clasp, vs., the clasps which have no post for the pearl.

By the way, has anyone ever used Gorilla Glue for attaching pearls? It's waterproof.

I've ordered several times from Bella Findings and am happy they are willing to sell wholesale to lowly hobby beaders like myself.

Is Gorilla Glue the best option to glue pearls on to posts? I haven't actually used pearl posts yet but plan to in the near future. I want to order some of the gemmy drop pearls discussed in another thread from here http://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com/view/9/4848/ and make some earrings/necklaces out of them.

If anyone has ordered them I'd love to know your feedback. I haven't ordered from that seller yet but they have some interesting stuff. I'm trying not to spend money but am feeling that pearl itch coming on! Kate

Stachura only sells wholesale and their "About Us" page mentions you need to show your credentials.

As I recall, those drops are relatively inexpensive even though they are beautiful. They have a restocking charge, but they waive it if you ask. Talk to Ellie and she will pick you out something special. I've just never had any luck with gluing pearls and Gorilla Glue seems very strong. I might try it with some cheaper pearls so see if it hurts the pearl.

Stachura only sells wholesale and their "About Us" page mentions you need to show your credentials.

I've never purchased anything from Stachura for resale. They will sell to lowly beaders. I have no resale certificate or tax exemption.

Back