Do GSS pearls have metallic luster?

pernula

The GSS pearls I have seen do not have the metallic luster/shimmer as in the smaller round exotic freshwater pearls. But I wonder whether they can? Would metallic GSS be hard to find?

Care Ehret describes some of her pearls as metallic luster. For those who have purchased from her, do you know whether it is more like the metallic luster of say, lavender Freshadama or is it stronger (more shimmer) like the smaller exotic freshwater pearls?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers,
Pernula

SS pearls luster is entirely different than freshwater or akoya. Its a very satin luster. Granted I haven't seen strands in the 1/2M$ range so maybe they do exhibit metallic, but even the beading quality strands I have purchased are clearly distinguishable in how their luster displays.

I would not say for the golden SS but about white SS they often use a word 'platina luster' or platina white colour. Maybe this is what one means as metallic in this case too...

Golden South Sea pearls have have a high luster but I would never think of it as a metallic luster. Metallic luster is something very apparent in the small exotics and a high-quality akoya strand. Occassionally you see it in amazing Tahitian pearls as well, but even Paspaley's T1 grade just has a bright luster, not metallic.

Thanks for the info everyone. What is a Paspaley T1 grade? :confused:

Hi Knotty, I am not thinking about a strand. Probably just a pendant someday. I am thinking for some of these rare and expensive pearls (kasumiga, SS, etc.) I will go along a path of pendant collecting focusing on quality of one individual pearl. I am pretty clueless and have no strategy at this point, though.

Cheers,
Pernula

The T1 grade refers to the orient and luster of a Paspaley pearl. The grading may look something like this, RD1 N (1). This means that the shape is in the highest category, the surface is tight and the luster/orient is highest.
Pearls in this category do not typically go into strands. I have never seen a strand of them, only loose, and I was told by someone at Paspaley that even a small-size strand of them could go for as much as a quarter million on the wholesale level.

These pearls tend to have a shine that leans toward the metallic reflection of some akoya and freshwater. Still not quite the same as the reflection is deeper - not as superficial, so I would still not call it metallic.

Here're a few pictures comparing my tahitian pearls, WSS, Sea of Cortez, and GSS from Carolyn. I would say my dark tahitian pearls provide the best reflection. But the color of the GSS pearls are so beautiful and very close to the earrings 22K findings.
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=DSC00647.jpg
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=DSC00648.jpg

Here's a better picture from her eBay store.
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/Space_Needle/Pearls/?action=view&current=4f40_1.jpg

Last edited:
SpaceNeedle, your earrings are gorgeous! The colors are just awesome. Are those GSS from Lombok, Indonesia?

Thanks for sharing,:)
Pernula

Golden South Sea pearls have have a high luster but I would never think of it as a metallic luster. Metallic luster is something very apparent in the small exotics and a high-quality akoya strand. Occassionally you see it in amazing Tahitian pearls as well, but even Paspaley's T1 grade just has a bright luster, not metallic.

I was going to start a new thread in "show us your pearls", but this seemed an appropriate place to post...I've been in the market for some golden SS klonks for a while, and just bought this strand (which I just strung up yesterday, and man, they feel good on the neck...) last weekend at the local International Gem and Jewelry show back in the wholesale area. In holding the strands up to my skin, I found that the mixed colors looked more interesting than the solid gold color. Anyway, these range from 11mm to 14.8mm, and some of the pearls have a pretty amazing metallic luster. Just wanted to show off my new babies...

Sheri

Attachments

• gold SS pearls 002.jpg
    gold SS pearls 002.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 46
  • gold SS pearls 001.jpg
    gold SS pearls 001.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 40
Shari!

You are living right, that is some strand!! Amazing!! And just lovely on you. I agree that the variation in color makes for a very interesting necklace.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

The golden ones really do have a metallic luster, don't they. That is a particularly nice strand.

Does Paspaley do goldens?

Shari!

You are living right, that is some strand!! Amazing!! And just lovely on you. I agree that the variation in color makes for a very interesting necklace.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Thanks, Pattye - yeah, it was the combination of luster, really interesting color variations, and size that sucked me in. A totally unplanned purchase (my visiting sister practically fainted, I think, but took it all in stride), but fun, fun, fun!!! Thanks for looking...

Sheri

Gorgeous pearls Sheri - I love the gold/white mixed strands -great size too! Well done!

Now that's a strand! Congratulations!

:eek: That's a great buy and they look amazing on you.

Hi Sheri,

what pearls - the size alone, very pretty. How did you manage to buy without your daughter breathing down your neck?:D

p

p

Hi Sheri,

That strand is beautiful. It's the first strand that I see both combination of gold and white. The pearls are beautiful too. I just gasped at the size. What a nice purchase and matching job. Congrats !

Wow, Sheri
Those are some seriously amazing pearls.
Love the mix of colors...don't think I've seen that before.
Congrats!
Robin

Back