Lovely silver blue inherited pearls

Shadhavar

Lovely silver blue inherited pearls

Trying to gather info on estate pearls. My grandma’s 1980s inventory has these listed as blue pearls, it was a pin and necklace; the necklace is unstrung now, plus there’s a couple matching loose undrilled pearls. Grandma spent many years in Indonesia/Thailand and my understanding is they were likely acquired during that time (50s/60s). I’m trying to figure out what kind exactly and estimated value.

Had them briefly looked at at a rock show and they thought they’re very nice cultured pearls (using loupe), good luster/beautiful color the photos don’t quite do justice. We got interrupted though being it was a busy place, so I didn’t get to ask for any more info on type (beyond being cultured), value, etc. the folks at the show weren’t really pearl people from what I understand, they knew enough to determine being cultured and shiny. there don’t seem to be any pearl-savvy appraisers nearby, is it worth the expense to assess professionally? other than I know Grandma had expensive tastes in many respects, I don’t have excess to spare, hence researching online and curious to get some thoughts.

I have a 36" strand just like the ones you have pictured. Mine are 8-9ishmm thick nacre and excellent luster. They came with a 14K heavy white gold clasp. I got them at just a fraction of what other strands were selling for. When searching for a strand, it seemed that most baroque Akoyas like mine were selling for around $500/18" used/vintage in good strung condition with a 14K gold clasp. Yours definitely need to be restrung. They would look lovely with light-blue silk thread. Here is a photo of mine. The photo is a bit overexposed, they are a lovely silver blue color.
Hope this helps.
I have a 36 strand just like the ones you have pictured. Mine are 8-9ishmm thick nacre and excellent luster. They came with a 14K heavy white gold clasp.
I have a 36 strand just like the ones you have pictured. Mine are 8-9ishmm thick nacre and excellent luster. They came with a 14K heavy white gold clasp.

Maybe ten or so years ago akoya wholesalers in the Hong Kong show just sold white white white. One or two had maybe a couple of blue strands and a gold sort of apologetically in a dusty corner and they were soooooo cheap. Then akoya folk noticed that people wanted natural colour freshwaters and within two years tops colour were right there with whites (and the prices had soared!).(drat)

Back