Curious ad from Tiffany's

Mikeyy

Pearl Diver
A couple of things. First I always find it curious that there is no "Pearls" tab in the catagories at the top of the page. But there is a diamond tab. Personal gripe I suppose. But the other thing in this ad is that they want to sell a $25,600 strand without telling you what type pearls you are buying. The ad simply says "Cultured Pearls" These are the specifications

Pearl diameter 9-9.5mm. Double-sided clasp.

Hard to argue with them. It does appear to be pearls and a clasp. :D

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/Ite...+2-c+-r+101323352-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+&search=1

... they want to sell a $25,600 strand without telling you what type pearls you are buying. The ad simply says "Cultured Pearls" These are the specifications

Pearl diameter 9-9.5mm. Double-sided clasp.

Hard to argue with them. It does appear to be pearls and a clasp. :D

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/Ite...+2-c+-r+101323352-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+&search=1

Silly Mikeyy! You don't speak Tiffanyese. (No one seems to be getting my sense of humor these days so I guess I need to put in some sort of face ;).) They are selling THE SIGNATURE CLASP attached to some pearls. See the ad? Their offspring franchise Iridesse has the same size pearls with the lesser known signature clasp for around $10,000.00 a strand if the economy is putting a cramp in your pocketbook.

I think its a great deal and you're all crazy for not jumping on it.

sigh....I am absolutely in love with my gem quality strand from the Pearl Outlet and would rather buy 50 strands than one of Tiffany's (give me time to save up a bit...lol)

That is quite disturbing knowing how much a strand of simple oval pearls actually cost

Tiffany chocolates are bleached. This says copper and bronze too. I guess it's always possible they are mixing natural color and chocolates. Still, let's say the 2.7 ct. diamond clasp is worth $3K retail. That means each pearl is $1,100 retail! I'm sorry, but it better be natural all the way for that kind of money.

That is downright obnoxious. Unfortunately it is engrained in many souls psyche's they must have Tiffany's or Tiffany's pearls for that matter. If it doesn't come in that Tiffany's blue box, it just isn't up to snuff.

Hopefully in this economy prices like Tiffany's will be a wake up call. Shoppers that do the research and due diligence will be rewarded/reassured because of threads like this and come to realize paying 900% higher for a box just doesn't make sense anymore.

Every seller around the world needs to remember that things are worth what someone else will pay for them.
If someone wants to pay that much for something from a brand, that is their right.

Every seller around the world needs to remember that things are worth what someone else will pay for them.
If someone wants to pay that much for something from a brand, that is their right.

Excellent point Wendy! The market segment that Tiffany sells to does not mind paying for a guaranteed level of quality and service. That client doesn't want to know about pearl grades, nacre quality, or any other quality factor. They know they are paying a premium price for a premium piece of jewerly.

Tiffany as a company has recognized the rising popularity of pearls and the vast variety of pearls and pearl jewelry by creating Irridesse. Irridesse carries pearls of many different grade levels as well as many varieties of pearls and pearl jewelry. I think that Irridesse is great for promoting Pearls and pearl jewelry.

I agree with you. Just because we are able to gleefully purchase inexpensively online, doesn't mean that there isn't a place for full-retail price fine jewelry sales. Being able to take someone to a fine jewelry store to select something special is a romantic occasion that should never disappear. (At least until a man takes me to one!) ;)

Blaire, you are such a romantic! How could any man resist you?

Blaire, you are such a romantic! How could any man resist you?

This is from the woman who saw me when my ankles were covered with mosquito bite welts and swollen from being on my feet for two days without sleep! :eek:

I give up on the Tiffany site, as it is taking forever to load :rolleyes:

DK :)

It is great that Tiffany's sell to their market at exorbitant prices because it does help maintain the value and allure of all pearls, especially important for us pearl vendors! yes, the markups seem obscene!! But whilst Tiffany's and others are out there spending their millions and millions on marketing, it broadens the appeal of pearls generally - and that is something , particularly in this economic climate, that we all need. No allure, no desire for pearls = no market = no jobs = no farms... eventually equals no pearls!!

Back