Help please! Buying pearl pendant for mom, mikimoto or pearlparadise?

laobai

Hi everyone!

I just received my first paycheck today and decided to get my mom a pearl pendant. I know absolutely nothing about pearls and have sorted out some options below, but I need some advice from those who knows about pearls! Please give me some suggestions : )

Initially, I want to get this one from Mikimato, 7mm AA , 18K
http://www.mikimotoamerica.com/categories/pendants/pearl-and-diamond-pendant-yellow-gold.html

Then, I found a similar style on PearlParadise, with the much lower price, I could get a 9.5 AAA, 14K
http://www.pearlparadise.com/Romantic-Collection-White-Akoya-Pearl--Diamond-Pendant2415.aspx

But I also found one on Tiffany and fell in love with the design...It's 9-10mm, but freshwater instead of Akoya
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...params=s+5-p+1-c+287465-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

So now I am stuck between these three, Mikimato is the most expensive, but the brand seems to have a very good reputation. As I have said above, I know nothing about pearls so the big difference in price just made me very confused...I don't know if I should go with the Mikimato, or get a bigger one from PP? Will the quality make a big difference between these three? Help please : (

Thank you so much!

I am sure which ever you chose she will treasure! I would go with the PP 9.5 AAA. I have a AAA akoya rope from PP and the pearls are incredibly beautiful! For me, the size of the pearl on the Mikimoto pendant is just too small (and I am petite and very thin). The Tiffany one is very pretty, but I have a sterling silver Tiffany necklace and it tarnishes easily. It has to be cleaned frequently and a polishing cloth doesn't always do the trick. You would have to be careful cleaning around the pearl.

She isn't going to sell it on, so there is no need to consider the additional value/cost of the brand name, therefore go with the one which you think best expresses how you feel about her. And that is the one you like best.

Laobai,

Whatever pendant you choose, your Mother will cherish it because it came from you! That said, 7mm pearl is a petite size, but if she usually wears more dainty jewelry, that could be perfect.

The others are both lovely pendants, but I agree with Litgeek, the Pearl Paradise would be my choice, set in 14k gold, a great value, and gorgeous pearl!

Laobai -- Speaking as a Mom whose first born is leaving for college in a few weeks, let me say you are a sweetie to be thinking of your Mom! You have chosen a perfect gift.

I've made many purchases from PP and think you will be very happy with a purchase from there. They also have a generous 90 day return policy, no questions asked (although I can't imagine your Mom would part from that gift!).

Let us know what you decide, and it would be very sweet if you could post a "neck shot" (only neck with necklace, not face) of your Mom wearing the pendant. Although I would certainly understand if she shied away from such a request. But it would be heart-warming to see.

Have fun deciding!

Wanting to buy your mother a present with your first paycheck-- the thought is something she will treasure always, no matter what you get.

I would go for a larger rather than smaller pearl as well.

And I would avoid silver as it will tarnish, and the chemicals in tarnish-removing jewelry cloths ought to be kept away from pearls. (I sometimes use silver findings in pearl jewelry I make for myself, but am very careful when I polish the findings.)

I totally agree, I would get the one from PP. I honestly think your mom would love whatever you get her. :) The one from Tiffany's is nice but with it being sterling silver, she would have to polish all those little nooks and crannies. The design would make it difficult to keep the polishing cloth from coming in contact with the pearl. I think it is so nice that you want to buy your mom such a lovely gift. She is lucky lady and she raised you well. ~d

I also agree on the PP pendant, it is lovely and you can be assured that you will receive quality merchandise! Personally, I wouldn't pay the extra $$ just for the brand name, but I know that some are label-conscious. The tiffany pendant is lovely too, but I feel a little more casual without the diamond. Would this be an every-day piece for your mom? If so than maybe the more casual is the way to go...personally I think that, while the silver will tarnish over time, it is a design that would look just as pretty a bit oxidized from the tarnish, so maybe it wouldn't matter so much? I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can't go wrong with any of them, you mom is sure to love whatever you choose, they are all gorgeous :)

Go with the pendant from Pearl Paradise.

It's just as wonderful, if not more so and a better value.

Looking at the other two choices you are paying a premium for the name.

I think you're incredibly sweet for getting your mom something with your first paycheck! I'd love to hear which you chose and how she reacted (I'm sure she loved it, the question is whether or not she cried :) ).

Between the Mikimoto and the PP, I think you can't go wrong in terms of quality - it comes down to a matter of taste and personal style. I prefer the minimal setting of the diamond on the Mikimoto pendant, but I personally like the larger size of the PP pendant (like so many others in the thread!). Small, dainty pendants are extremely versatile, and especially fashionable now, though. Tough call! If I wanted the best of both worlds, I would give PP a call and see if they could do something customized, which seems like it could still be less expensive than the Mikimoto. Good luck!

I'm wondering what I've done for my mother lately, now.

(oh, the diamond in the Mikimoto pendant is a little bigger, which could account for some of the price difference, in addition to the Mikimoto name and retail markups)

Hi there and welcome!

I am going to vote for the Pearl Paradise pearl. While Mikimoto has a valued reputation, you pay a very high price for the name (and a rather small pearl). Pearl Paradise's quality is excellent and I don't think you would be disappointed. The Tiffany pendant is a lovely design, but the sterling silver, as others have noted, will make cleaning the pendant and chain difficult as pearls and silver cleaner don't mix!

My preference is always for value for money, without sacrificing quality, and I think you will get that with PP.

Best of luck on your choice! You make your mother proud!

Diane

Back