Christmas Contest

waimeamomi

Natural Pearl
OK, I had so much fun with Terry's contest, I'm going to throw one out. Pick a number between 200 and 657, and the person with the closest to the random number I have now written down, gets the floating pearl pictured here. It will be on 49 strand platinum beading wire with SS beads and clasp. It is like the one on my Pearl Model thread. The pearl is a Kamoka drop about 9mm by 12mm. I will not finish the necklace until I know the winner so the size will be accurate. One entry only and the deadline is tomorrow (Saturday) 3 p.m. HST (Hawaiian time - you must do the math, I'm a theatre major).

Is there a catch - you bet. You must on occasion wear the necklace, (or someone close to you may wear it) and if anybody asks about it, just tell them about my web site. That's it - just help me get the word out that I am here in cyber space! So, play if you wish, have fun and good luck. I'll post the winner Sat. evening. :D

Attachments

• pgfree.jpg
    pgfree.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
OH YAY! I'm so excited... I was only off by ONE number last time (135!)... It's so pretty too. Someone is going to have a lovely addition to their collection!

{Can people not do the whole thing where they add one number to someone's guess, like, if someone guessed 200, guessing 201? That's just mean}

Okay Sheryl - lovely necklace and my guess is 491

426 - my birthday guess!

Hooray - another fun contest! Thanks, Sheryl! My random number generator suggests I try 537. My nonrandom guess would have been 333 but Caitlin beat me to it. Once the contest is over, I hope you will share with us the reasoning behind "200-657" rather than 1-1000 or something - it seems a delightfully arbitrary number range.

My guess is 457. It's possible to have two winners.

Yes, Knotty, are you trying to beat me out of the prize? What if the number is 458??? As first submitter, I claim the right to it! :D :D :D

If there is an even tie, the first poster will be the winner. The numbers were chosen because I do this with my students, and I always give them some off the wall number spread to keep it interesting and keep them from thinking too much. They would be surprised that I used an even number like 200, but I was being gentle for you folks.

Hello. Is a newbie allowed to try?

Hi, my first name is Pearl (literally, it's an inherited name in my family). :) The 'A' in my username is the initial of my last name. I say this because Ms. Caitlin was initially concerned that my username was similar to a routine spammer. I promise that I neither sell, nor make, nor design, anything. (I do not have one artistic bone in my body. I'm a boring physicist by trade .. or at least I used to be before transforming to SAHM.)

How I came here: Up until a few days ago, while I do have a respectable jewelry collection, I never had many pearls. A few akoya pendants (the lowest quality of which is also my most valuable, as it was the first gift my now-husband ever gave me .. 'pearls for a Pearl' he'd said). A tahitian pendant, a tahitian pin, a freshwater bracelet, and a blue lagoon necklace he gave me soon after we married. I've mostly been a ruby girl, as July was both our first date and our wedding date.

A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted another pearl strand. Having just turned 40, I think it was a misplaced mini-midlife-crisis, thinking I should have at least a second strand by now. ;) Went websurfing, ended up at thepearloutlet, stumbled into the Black Friday sale. Got a couple freshwater necklaces, as well as the Vietnamese akoya bracelet (and as of last night, hubby ordered the Vietnamese necklace as well). I found this forum while doing research on the Vietnamese akoyas, and have been reading ... a lot ... I mean *really* a lot ... ever since.

I don't have any questions ... yet ... but if you see my name online often, I'm busy reading. I do intend to get some more tahitians at some point, as well as south seas, probably one of the high quality white freshwater strands as well. Good things take time, but I'm building my wishlist. ;)

I'm also intrigued to have learned how far Chinese freshwater pearls have come. I 'knew', but I didn't realize how far the extent. Although my most precious "Chinese gem" remains our daughter, who we adopted from Yangjiang, Guangdong. ;) I gather there are many here who travel to China regularly. If you remember the SARS scare ... yeah, we do too. We were one of those families whose retrieval of our daughter was delayed while the crisis was contained.

Anyway, that's who I am. :)

And my guess is 382. :)

--Pearl A.

Welcome, PearlA! The more, the merrier on P-G. We have a good time here and learn a lot as well. We also goad each other to acquire more pearls but it seems you are well along that road mentally already! ;)

Hi Pearl_dreams, and thank you. :) Yeah, I admit I'm jotting myself a 'wishlist'. Heh, don't tell hubby. The irony is that we just did some damage at our local jewelry store, only a few weeks ago. It's a mom-and-pop place that we absolutely love, and with their yearly sale taking place in November, hubby said, "Let's get some of your presents for next year awhile. He has a huge, yet still practical heart. ;) This "haul" from thepearloutlet is for Christmas, so I think I'm pretty 'gifted out' for a little while. ...... On the other hand, the summer was so busy that I never made the ruby ring I'd always said I'd wanted for our tenth anniversary. Maybe I'll parlay that into a killer keshi necklace for the eleventh. ;) I need to master the art of rationalization. I doubt that will be hard. ;)

(edit to add: The mom-and-pop store that we've always been very loyal to ... heck, they designed my engagement ring and their store is where hubby officially went down on one knee ... they have one interesting quirk. The one stone they don't do a lot of work in, is pearls. It seems almost providence that I landed on the internet instead.)

Last edited:
Back