Cassis and Flame

SteveM

Just to share a little beauty this evening. Delving ever further into the marine treasures of Indonesia I have received this among a small lot of Cassis Cornuta pearls today.

Attachments

• Top&FlameX.jpg
    Top&FlameX.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 44
The flame looks like a closeup of a feather. You did very well! ;)

My focus on Nautilus has caused me to delay my entry into Cassis long enough to kick myself a few times, but I don't think I've missed any examples nicer than these. Larger, for sure. But regulars here know that BIG moves me little.

Not insignificant, these are 20.2 and 15.4 carats respectively.

Cassis offers a tremendous value when compared with Queen Conch, and in much warmer color tones that remind one a bit less of jelly beans?

Attachments

• Cassis20.2-15.4x.jpg
    Cassis20.2-15.4x.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Gem Geek you nailed it!! Dreamy Indeed!!! . Just imagine falling into that flame only to be engulfed in a soft velvety calm and peaceful feeling.

Cheers

Ash

The color and size remind me the melo melo, and the flamme the tridacna or the nautilus pearls ...
From which part of the globe do these specimen come from? Any picture of the shell?

The color and size remind me the melo melo, and the flamme the tridacna or the nautilus pearls ...
From which part of the globe do these specimen come from? Any picture of the shell?

Cassis Cornuta is the Giant Horned Helmet (much better the scientific name!), habitat similar to Nautilus (Indo-Pacific) but extending farther to the west across the Indian Ocean. It is typically 350mm (14 inches) or larger. It is CITES listed (endangered), like Tridacna, but remains a sustainable subsistence food for the natives of the remote, tiny island (and others like it) where the pearls were found.

Yes, the color is similar to albeit much softer than melo-melo. The flame structure is very similar to melo, conch and some Tridacna, but not at all like Nautilus, as Nautilus does not produce this type of aragonite microstructure.

Attachments

• Cassis cornutaX.jpg
    Cassis cornutaX.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 49
That is fascinating! Sometimes I wonder how you found these links. Thank you for sharing.

My wife also enjoyed the link and is convinced about the sentimentality of these creatures. When the pearls are eventually set and worn, they will warm the heart as well as the eye!

I am glad someone knew about this! Makes you wonder what kind of other stress chemicals happen to other mollusks.

I was asked for a side elevation of this thread's subject pearl. This shot serves to complete the picture, with additional illustration of the many ways that aragonite crystals can be arranged to produce beautiful pearls (be sure to zoom in on the screen for best appreciation).

Attachments

• 05-SideX.jpg
    05-SideX.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 49
Incredible flaming structure Steve... quite a find!

Back