Sourcing Indonesia pearl farm

jihyeu

Hi Everyone

My name is Tony from Taiwan and I am new to this forum. I and my Indonesian partner are starting a startup pearl retail business.

We are looking for Indonesia pearl farms we can procure a batch of AAA~AAAA pearls. Our internet research comes out few famous places but we would like to explore more.

Since we just start this small business, can anyone recommend trustworthy and good price farms/wholesale we can buy from?

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi Tony,

There are quite a number of farms in Indonesia, but unless you plan on buying an entire harvest, and you have the ability to process the pearls yourself, you're on a wild goose chase. It would be like deciding to open a gas station and planning to go to Saudi Arabia to visit an oil well to source the fuel.
a batch of AAA~AAAA pearls
This doesn't really mean anything, as there are no standards in grading.

Here are three auction booklet snippets from an auction happening this week. This is how South Sea pearls are purchased from farmers, and if the buyers do not understand exactly what each of these mean, relative to the producer as each grades differently, and what the market price is or should be for each, they cannot participate successfully. And the buying is very competitive. The buyers are all experts in what they do.

Auction booklet snippet 1.pngAuction booklet snippet 2.pngAuction booklet snippet 3.png

I discussed the grading issue briefly with Jewels of the Trade a couple of months ago here -

Thanks for your advice jshepherd!!

you're on a wild goose chase​

In your opinion, should I connect with Wholesale directly? I have contacted two wholesaler in Lombok. However when I mention I want to visit the farm, both told me I cannot because the farm is not harvesting season and closed now. And they will bring the pearls to me for me to inspect.

I would wonder if this is true? I am learning this industry and I don't want be ripped off.

Do you have any suggestions how I get pearls for my business?

Thanks!!!

Your best bet is to go to one of the shows, either in Japan or Hong Kong. This is where most buyers meet with wholesalers and where you will have the most options. If you're buying for retail resale, this is where you will find separated lots, loose pairs and singles. It's much easier to compare when there are hundreds of wholesalers and many producers all in the same space.

They tell you this because they are concerned you will go to the farms directly and not buy through them, thus losing their commission. As Jeremy mentioned, you'll need to buy whole harvests to have half a chance. This will include good pearls, bad pearls and everything in between. Many farms in Lombok are small, their production is small and they sell to local people that sort, grade, mix with other harvests and then on-sell. Best recommendation is to visit larger shows in the beginning until you can buy volumes.

Most pearl farms around the world sell complete harvests (usually by auction). They aren't set up for people turning up to negotiate over each pearl. The person who could make a deal with you won't probably even be at the farm more than once every few months. Even the farms which sell some pearls direct to retail will sell most of their output via auction.
Even if you did buy a complete harvest, are you set up to sort, classify, match, drill and otherwise prepare all those pearls for retail selling? Your initial post talks about AAAA pearls and that alone gives away that you aren't really very experienced in pearls. I could possibly just about do it, with bottomless funding, but I wouldn't even attempt it. And I've been in the business more than 20 years.
Pearls are not a get rich quick commodity.

Thanks all your replies. It is very helpful.

I am new to this industry and my background is in finance. I am still learning step by step.
Best recommendation is to visit larger shows in the beginning until you can buy volumes.
Even if you did buy a complete harvest, are you set up to sort, classify, match, drill and otherwise prepare all those pearls for retail selling?
I understand sourcing from farm is not possible at my level. How about the wholesaler? Do you recommend any trustworthy one in Indonesia?

Because my company is based in Jakarta and I visit there very often, I try to connect one in local.

Thanks for your help!!!

It seems to me that, from your posts, you simply don't know enough about pearls to deal in them at the moment. Unless you have a lot of money to lose. Pearls are not a get rich quick commodity. You can't seem to work out how to buy your stock, let alone sell it. And buying pearls is the easy part.
You've been given advice. Then ignoring it when it doesn't suit what you want to do. Jeremy is a world-class pearl business expert.

Thanks all your replies. It is very helpful.

I am new to this industry and my background is in finance. I am still learning step by step.

I understand sourcing from farm is not possible at my level. How about the wholesaler? Do you recommend any trustworthy one in Indonesia?

Because my company is based in Jakarta and I visit there very often, I try to connect one in local.

Thanks for your help!!!
I didn't realize you were in Indonesia. I thought you were in Taiwan. Your original post makes a lot more sense to me now.

There are a number of wholesalers located in Indonesia, and if you're only going to be selling Indonesian South Sea pearls, you'll probably be fine sourcing there. I don't personally know any of the wholesalers there though. If you're intending to branch out into other types of pearls as well, the Hong Kong jewelry show is your best bet.

Atlas is a great company and a producer, but again, they sell their harvests at auction. Years ago I met with their team and purchased a large lot of pearls from them, but now they hold regular auctions.

Thanks Jeremy, Pearlescence for your opinions.

I thought you were in Taiwan. Your original post makes a lot more sense to me now.

Yes, Jeremy, I am Taiwanese and I still have my daytime job as finance advisor in Singapore/Jakarta. So many of my colleagues are from Indonesia.

I like pearls and I do look for making side money by trading. But as a beginner and with limited budget, my goal more focus on finding a right wholesaler, not being cheated by freshwater or low quality products. At least in the end, I can still keep these pearls.

I found these two wholesaler, do you happen to know them?

Anyway, thank you for all your answers.

I don't know them personally. It's always difficult to tell from a website presence.

This is a company that has presented at Asia World Expo in HK and has a contact in Jakarta:

Hi Everyone

My name is Tony from Taiwan and I am new to this forum. I and my Indonesian partner are starting a startup pearl retail business.

We are looking for Indonesia pearl farms we can procure a batch of AAA~AAAA pearls. Our internet research comes out few famous places but we would like to explore more.

Since we just start this small business, can anyone recommend trustworthy and good price farms/wholesale we can buy from?

Thanks a lot!!!
Hii, I am from Indonesia also klu mau bisa saya bisa share yg ada di siapa tau bisa kerjasama bisa Email ke saya klu masih berminat

Back