A little help would be very much appreciated.

Thomas

Hello,

I am currently researching buying my girlfriend a year anniversary present and have become almost set upon an 18 inch Pearl Necklace as I have seen her admire a couple.

After a fair bit of research I have began to understand the grading qualities etc and have seen a couple I have thought looked promising.

I have a budget of about $250-300 and the ones below are ones that I personally have considered, but I really have little to no idea what I'm doing so any advice would be appreciated.
For reference she is 21, 5,8' , brunette and she does not currently own any pearls . (I read on here that people say different sized pearls for different ages.)

http://www.amazon.com/6-5-7-0mm-Fre...r_1_4?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1430179775&sr=1-4
Having looked at this site for a couple of days and read a few threads I realise a few of you question the authenticity and ethics of this seller and therefore I have become rather confused as to where to proceed.

http://www.jared.com/en/jaredstore/...lace-360550002--1/100237/100237.100239.100255 These I can get for $250 as I know a friend who works there, therefore is this a really good deal?

I did try and use the search functions for : Budget $250 and a couple of other searches but really couldn't seem to find an answer so decided to make my own post. I hope as someone who hasn't posted before I have not overstepped the mark.

Regards,
Thomas

Congrats on the relationship milestone! Pearls are a wonderful way to celebrate. I would shy away from a chain store or Amazon for this purchase...you will find much higher quality at reasonable prices by the highly respected vendors: Pearl Paradise. They are all currently running specials with discounts being offered. I suggest you check them out...I have personally purchased from several vendors who regularly post on this site and I can say without a doubt that you will get the most for your budget purchasing from them. If you don't know where to start, try Pearl Paradise...their customer service is excellent. You can give them your price point and ask them to share photos of options. If you are unsure, there are many here who will gladly offer opinions on options. Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide!!

I noticed that you are considering freshwater pearls. For the same price and size, you can upgrade to akoya pearls from the vendors frequently mentioned in our threads.

Last edited:
I recommend getting her freshwater pearls (FWP) in the 7-8mm range; 7.5-8.0mm is even larger overall.

1. For one thing, she is fairly tall...6.5-7mm may seem disproportionately small on her.

We joke about Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome (our way of saying that as time goes on, we become dissatisfied with smaller pearls and want larger ones.) Better to start off a little larger.

2. You can get more bang for your buck with freshwater pearls than you can with akoya pearls.

3. FWP can be worn every day. There is no bead inside, so the nacre will never wear through. Akoyas do have a bead inside which makes them less suited for constant wear.

With your budget in mind, this is the one I suggest:

7.5-8.0 mm White Freshadama Freshwater Pearl Necklace

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-135-75-80-mm-white-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

The "Freshadama" pearls are earring grade pearls that have been drilled and strung into necklaces. They are very lustrous and nearly round.

Use the 15% discount code and it will be well within your price range. Spend a bit more and you can get matching studs.

Welcome, Thomas, Pearl Dreams has spelled it out for you perfectly! You will get amazing jewelry for your $$. I agree with the size suggestion also. Please do let us know how it goes. We do recommend that you call PP and let them know you've been discussing your purchase here on the forum. This way you can have any other questions answered by a real person!

What a thoughtful gift Thomas!

Well I really appreciate the time taken to reply by everyone! Special thanks to Pearl Dreams!

I was possibly hoping to spend a little bit less and the 18 inch is $345 + P&P. Unless you believe the 18 inch will be too much? I am unable to find a 7.0-7.5 necklace on the website, are these not regularly available?

In regards to calling them, we are kind of in a long distance relationship as I actually live in England at the moment so calling could be a slight issue. I would be looking to purchase when I fly over at the end of May, does that website ever have sales on after Mothers day etc?

Thanks again for all the help, it is sincerely appreciated!

Thomas, do you see the 15% off code at the top? With the 15% off it comes to $293.25 for the 18 inches. Shipping is free with the USA but since you are traveling back to the USA in May you could ask them to hold it for you (returns are free for 90 days in case you or she don't like it after all, or find something else. Only custom work is not returnable.)

If that doesn't work for you, use the Live Chat feature online instead of phoning....I'm sure they can work out something with you. PP are very accommodating.

As to the length-- that is another thing. Some people prefer the shorter lengths depending on the necklines they tend to wear. If she tends to wear more closed necklines, 16" may work, if she is slender. 17" is a nice compromise length that often works better for me than the full 18". If she likes more open necklines she may prefer the 18".

A consideration: You can always shorten an 18" strand if it is too long, but it will be harder to find matching loose pearls to lengthen the shorter necklaces if they do not suit her.

Whatever you buy there will need to be declared when you re-enter the USA. There's a generous amount you can import into the USA before paying duties, but if you are bringing other things it could add up. See here for more information on US duties:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...free-exemption

Another thought if you prefer to keeping costs down is buying a classic pair of earring studs instead of a necklace.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/c-47-wh...-earrings.aspx
Unless her ears are very petite I would aim for 8-9mm or 9-10mm. (A consideration-- if she spends a lot of time on the job on the phone, studs can be a problem, unless smaller; dangles may be better.)

Last edited:
Thomas, this one is $220, plus you'd get the 15% discount off of that.

Pearl Paradise is huge and well thought of, so they're a good bet. That price is for the 18 inch AAA. AAA is a tiny step down from their "freshadama" line but it is still very nice. If it were me, I'd rather have the AAA quality and a bit larger pearls. They used to list the pearls like 6-7mm or 7-8mm but then they started making them more specific, and listed by the half-millimeter. There's a noticeable difference between 7-8 and 7.5-8, for example. I don't know why there aren't 7-7.5 listed on the site.

If you wanted to add the earrings, that would be another $105 minus the 15% discount with the MOM15% code.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-10-75-80-mm-aaa-white-freshwater-pearl-stud-earrings.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-22-75-80-mm-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

Or, I second PD's suggestion of contacting Wendy at Pearlescence in the UK:

http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/index....h/192_24_75_81

With Mother's Day coming up, I'd worry they may sell out and go ahead and get them. You can use the pop up chat function on the site if you go with PP, and if you want, they'll email you a few photos to choose from. I have no idea if they'd hold them for you if you paid for them. Otherwise, I guess you could have them sent to your girlfriend with strict orders that she can't open the package! They have a very generous return policy, 2 or 3 months. And no, I don't work for any of these companies, lol. I just like to shop at them a little too much!

Good luck!

P.S. If you're not used to buying jewelry, they'll also ask if you want the clasp to be white gold or yellow gold? (I'd go with whatever color metal you usually see her wearing).

Last edited:
That's a good point, Sea Urchin. AAA are a tad less round and lustrous than the Freshadamas, but if you are not comparing side by side it is not so noticeable.

And let's face it-- if she is a pearl lover she will eventually get more pearls! :D We didn't stop at just one, did we?

Thomas, this one is $220, plus you'd get the 15% discount off of that.

Pearl Paradise is huge and well thought of, so they're a good bet. That price is for the 18 inch AAA. AAA is a tiny step down from their "freshadama" line but it is still very nice. If it were me, I'd rather have the AAA quality and a bit larger pearls. They used to list the pearls like 6-7mm or 7-8mm but then they started making them more specific, and listed by the half-millimeter. There's a noticeable difference between 7-8 and 7.5-8, for example. I don't know why there aren't 7-7.5 listed on the site.

If you wanted to add the earrings, that would be another $105 minus the 15% discount with the MOM15% code.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-10-75-80-mm-aaa-white-freshwater-pearl-stud-earrings.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-22-75-80-mm-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

This looks fantastic and just what I'm looking for! Thanks again for all the advice and help.
As someone who has no idea about pearls would I notice the difference between AAA and the freshadama?
The 18inch one is probably what I'll be looking to order. I'm a little confused as to what I'd speak to them and enquire about now though with all this feedback!

If I emailed them and asked them to send me photos of a couple of options in this bracket could I upload them here and you advise me as to which is the best or is that not allowed?

I think you'll probably get help faster if you use the chat function on the site. I'd just say you're interested in an 18 inch AAA white freshwater strand and can they send pics of a few strands for you to choose from. The differences between them will probably be subtle but personally, I like to see before I buy anyway.

I think the difference between AAA and their "Freshadama" would be subtle and she'd be very pleased with AAA. As I said, I'd rather have larger pearls! Also, we can always, always, always find ways to "upgrade," so no reason to push your budget further than it comfortably stretches, in my opinion.

I'm sure you'll get advice if you post the choices here. We love to give advice! :)

Last edited:
Great, well having spoken to Megan she has said she will email me a couple of strands in the next couple of days, so as soon as they come through I will upload them onto here for the expert opinion!

We will happily give you our opinions if you post photos. We love seeing pearl photos-- and we love sharing our opinions! :D

But at the end of the day, you are the expert on what you like and what you can afford.

Well I was emailed a picture of these three strands!

Opinions encouraged and welcome please!

Potential Pearls.jpg

I like the top strand best for luster.
The middle and bottom strands look very nice as well but the luster is not as high. The center one is more silvery and the bottom has a bit more rose in it.

They all look good, though. Choose the one that your eye keeps going back to. You will be looking at it on her. :)

I like the top strand best for luster.
The middle and bottom strands look very nice as well but the luster is not as high. The center one is more silvery and the bottom has a bit more rose in it.

They all look good, though. Choose the one that your eye keeps going back to. You will be looking at it on her. :)

I tend to agree with you!
The quote with the photos said; "You will notice the distinct overtones in these 3 strands. The top strand is rose dominant, the middle silver and dominant bottom is ivory dominant (with some rose)."

Apart from Lustre (to me basically the top one is the shiniest ! ha), is there any other distinctive features that I should notice? They all look relatively uniform in sizing .

Back