A little help would be very much appreciated.

On the top strand the pearls seem to be more uniformly lustrous. The middle and bottom strands have some more lustrous pearls and some less lustrous pearls.

Also the overtone colors are more distinct and varied on the top strand. For example, compare the 9th and 10th pearls from the right on the top strand. One looks a bit pinker, the one next to it a bit greener. Photos tend to emphasize this-- it may not be as obvious in normal lighting. I happen to like this quality in a necklace.

Another vote for the top strand! It look very pretty. She's a lucky girl!

Me Too - Top strand luster is nice and sharp !
Though I have to say as others have , since you are in the UK and if you want to see them soonish you could contact Wendy at Pearlescence in UK and she could send you a photo - if you like you can buy and return if they aren't want you wanted..be a quick way to take a look.

Last edited:
Top strand hands down!!! Keep us informed -- we love to travel the pearl journey with you!

Well I've emailed back saying I wish to buy the top strand, I can just get it delivered to a friend.

Many thanks for the advice from everyone!

This is a very friendly and welcoming forum indeed!

Thomas, let us know what you and your girlfriend think of the necklace, and a neck shot (or two or three) will delight us!

Thomas, let us know what you and your girlfriend think of the necklace, and a neck shot (or two or three) will delight us!

I will do! As a heads up this will be in June as thats when I plan to give it to her.

Pearl 2.jpg

Ok maybe throwing a slight spanner in the works I was sent three Freshadama strands to consider also. However with the lighting change I honestly think the AAA strands look better from my perspective . I know I'm wrong; but are these actually $80-90 better from your perspective?

Thomas, in my experience the Freshadama are going to be more perfectly round, but it's probably not a difference that you would see on the neck -- you would see it if you were to inspect the Freshadama next to the AAA. I'm not sure if the luster is significantly different, perhaps someone else knows about that -- it would be easier to see with a photo of the Freshadama and the AAA side by side.

Here is what I think:

While I would never tell anyone to exceed their budget, you may have years to regret getting the lower quality.

If you amortize the extra $80-90 over the years she will wear it, it is very little more to pay for getting the best.

Here is what I think:

While I would never tell anyone to exceed their budget, you may have years to regret getting the lower quality.

If you amortize the extra $80-90 over the years she will wear it, it is very little more to pay for getting the best.

Took your advice and purchased the top strand of the Freshadama's today. Thanks for the all invaluable advice.
Went into a normal retail store today and for ?200 what I could have purchased looked to be vastly inferior. Would be curious to take the strand I purchased into a store and ask them to value it to be honest.

Here is what I think:

you'd be surprised. I was in a B&M store and saw some UGLY freshwater pearls, a long endless strand of those circled potato pearls. I usually don;t mind inexpensive pearls, they can actually be fun. But the price tag on these was like $600 and they had NO luster at all, looked like little pebbles! (I wont even mention the tahitian strand the jewelry lady was trying to get me to buy at neiman marcus $30,000 for something so lifeless)The beauty of some of these online vendors is the amazing quality that you get for literally pennies on the dollar some time!

Back