Linda's Lowly Beading Adventures

Thank you all! Next I strung some petosky stones, which are a type of fossilized coral found in Michigan. One summer I visited friends on Lake Michigan, and we walked along the lake looking for petosky stones. The ones I found were not as nice as these...
petosky_stones1.jpg
and a close up:
petosky_stones2.jpg

Those petosky stones are really pretty. I have never heard about them before.

Those petosky stones are really pretty. I have never heard about them before.

I agree. I had seen other varieties at the Tucson Gem Show, but these have a unique character on their own. Love that kind of creamy-bone color.

At a weaving conference last year, there was a knitter making shawls with those petosky stone patterns.

Inspired by Charlotta, here are gold south seas and blue akoya pearls... neck shots when my lazy lump of a daughter gets up.
blue_akoya_and_gss.jpg

That's a cheery strand! Is it the gssp strand you got at Ruckus two years ago?

Amti, the strand I got at the Ruckus is a little bit deeper gold. I strung it with sunstones. This strand, and the blue akoyas, I got fairly recently from Kong's. I couldn't resist putting them next to each other, and taking a picture:
ruckus_goldens_with_blue_akoya_gss.jpg

Linda, the strand is beautiful! And I love how the silvery-blues play with the rich golden colors.

Oooh, that's so pretty, Linda ... the blues and golds just glow against each other :) Well Done!

Thank you, everyone! I got some nice akoyas from Kong's Pearl, and couldn't figure out how to string them. Then I got some Ethiopian opal beads, and that was that:
akoya&opal1.jpg
And a close up:
akoya&opal2.jpg

Wow! The opals and Akoyas are genius. The sun stones are great with the goldens. This is amazingly beautiful stuff, Linda. I’m going to re-read your thread to find out if you’ve already written about what inspires you, because I’m dazzled!

Do you visualize these combinations in your head, or buy strands you love willy-nilly, and then lay them together until you get a “that’s it!” moment?

Last edited:
Back