How I made the golden pearl and sapphire necklace.

Hi beaders! I finally had a chance to make another necklace that has been in my head for a long time. It is different and somewhat autobiographical to the extent that even as a young child I loved rocks. My love affair with gem "rocks" continues to grow. In this necklace, I used some rough gems--ones that I love so much like they are.
I was lucky enough to obtain some first mine Paraiba rough from Care, who apparently had collected them since her youth when she accompanied her parents (also gem dealers) on their trips. I mixed it with aquamarine rough, some "rough faceted" aquamarines, small bits of tumbled Larimar and natural turquoise--and of course pearls--small freshwater keshi, and some treated "copper" keshi with boulder/matrix opal as well as yellow, white, and rose gold beads, gold, copper, and silver wire.

I was going to call it my "rockhound" necklace, but think now I will call it "Janus"--for obvious reasons. We have a haunting painting called by that name--same idea of two sided (or two faced).

Thanks for all of your creativity, and your kind support.

Beth

Attachments

• necklace_3_1_feb crp.jpg
    necklace_3_1_feb crp.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 55
  • necklace_4_1_feb crp.jpg
    necklace_4_1_feb crp.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 44
Fabulous!! Janus is the perfect name, and it is a lovely, lovely piece.

Referring to post #12 above:
I am impressed! A novel 21st century use of swags with the combinations of stones in the opal piece. The white pearl, blue stone and roundels have a danceable rhythm to them, esp with the little guys in between. It's a dynamic necklace.

They both make medieval references in the stones and layouts, yet they are very now.

Thanks so much Boo, Pattye and Caitlin: Earth and sky--that may be a better description of the nature of the necklace.

Peace, Beth

Beth, this piece is beautiful.. It obviously is "you" in more ways than just the colour tonings...

That is simply incredible. You and the necklace look like a work of art! ;)

Thanks Skypearl, Blaire, Nerida, and Bernadette!

I am now fantasizing about some really super Tahitians! Humm--I have some nice ruby beads. I wonder how Tahitians would look with rubies--or maybe emeralds --or---????. Something to dream about at any rate!

Peace, Beth

Tahitians with ruby or emerald combo sound lovely! Definitely fun to plot the next project:)

Last edited:
Wow ! Claudenancy,
The Janus necklace is stunning......
And so perfect with your colouring.

And yes, Tahitians team beautifully with rubies.......:)
(I named this Josh and Ruby.....:D)

Attachments

• Josh And Ruby.jpg
    Josh And Ruby.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 41
This thread is amazing. Everyone has such beautiful and original designs. I can only hope to produce something half as nice at some point. Thank you for sharing and opening my eyes to different possibilities.

Well now I am really inspired--not sugarplums but rubies, emeralds, and Tahitians dancing in my head tonight!
Sueki--that is "eat with a spoon" fabulous! What a pearl--what a combination!

Maryd--You are off to a great start. The keishi necklace is beautiful--keishis are the reason that I fell in love with pearls a few months ago--isn't it wonderful the way they speak to you?

Here is "rough" strung variation of the pearl and sapphire necklace that started this thread. I decided to make this one a little longer and did not have enough spacers to finish the back so it will not be finished for a few days. This is the simpler version. I used some slightly larger briolettes and only used two strands (no third strand added in the center). I also did not drop the pearl but strung it in line. The biggest problem I had was having to use different types/sizes of stones and also hole size in some of the beads. The stones are aquamarine (I obtained a wonderful strand at a good price from Ratnasagar jewels), plus tsavorites, apatites, and blue-green sapphires--all briolettes. The spaces are wavy 18k rose gold--hard to find but I really love the color.

The central pearl is a 10+ mm Tahitian-- round and I cannot find any flaws. The four side pearls are all lavendar/teal/ blue overtone Sea of Cortez pearls. I found two fw pearls to use on the back when I decided to lengthen it (awaiting the spacers).

Attachments

• Green drop TPM earrings2
    Green drop TPM earrings2
    16.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 47
Thanks Blaire. I really struggled with this one. I thought it was going to be so easy--it was far more difficult that I thought. The color layout turned out to be very tricky and had to be "edited" many times. There is still room for improvement--if I purchased additional stones, which I am trying to avoid.

Good thing I am now fully retired (as of July 1)--lots of time to edit, but less money. I am trying to string the things that I have on hand, but there seems always to be just "one or two" more things needed to make it right.

Thanks for your thoughtful and generous comment.

Peace, Beth

Back