luster over nacre thickness?

gssp newbie

Community member
View attachment 29009View attachment 29010View attachment 29011
hi all, i saw this 10mm gssp with such luster... its almost begging me to buy it (lol... to me anyway...:p)... however i was told by the seller that the nacre is not as thick as the higher priced ones they sell... can anyone give me feedback whether this gssp really has thin nacre and should i buy it?

photo 1 is beside wssp for contrast of color. the luster of the wssp is likewise good.. photo 2 is a closeup of the gssp..

comments on the wssp are welcome too! the two combined would make a lovely ring or pendant!

Speaking as someone who doesn't own any gssp: I thought ssp nacre is supposed to be thicker than the nacre of all other pearls.
Seems to me that even if it's thinner than the nacre of some of his other pearls, it ought to be plenty thick enough to be durable.

Maybe he's just trying to bump you up to a higher price point?

The two pearls look well matched to me.

my only feedback is that if you don't want that wssp, I DO!

I have to agree with Pearl Dreams that my first thought was that the seller wanted to direct you to something else - maybe something that she would have a harder time selling. Those pearls are both very pretty. :)

thanks everyone! btw, i gave in...

luminous, i am so sorry... i was soo greedy.. i took both!

now thinking if i should put both on a ring setting or a drop pendant..

oh dear, i think i am far too addicted now!

Good call- I missed the thread yesterday, but you made the right decision I think. :) The luster looks gorgeous on both pearls! Generally SSP have a nacre thickness of 2.0mm or more- they have a longer cultivation period, more time to acquire nacre... I highly doubt you'd be seeing that quality of luster or richness of color if they had thin layers.

oh dear, i think i am far too addicted now!

You won't get much discouragement from that addiction here! So, be warned-----I am still unable to break that addition after 9+ years, lol..... there are always pearls I have not seen before- just when I think,"I can't keep collecting pearls like this!", I see something new like those blown-out-gonad giants with incredible color and luster, sigh.....

Caitlin - Thanks for the laugh today (one of those good-old hardy ones)!!! I think you could get away with saying that ONLY on a pearl board!

finally.... the wait is over... Ta~daaa!

20140630_132024.jpg

went to my local jeweller to have the pearls set. i gave him my design and he had the ring hand~made. my jeweller likes the design too he made an extra and put it in his gallery..:)

That is a beautiful, beautiful ring. Please enjoy wearing it, and thank you so much for sharing the picture of the final ring. It was definitely worth the wait.

It is to die for!!!!

Congratulations on another beautiful pearl jewelry of yours :)

Back