The Debate: Tissue or Bead Nucleation? The Pros and Cons of Each

As far as my pearls go. They sit in the safe.
Mikeyy, have you read here about pearl care and that they might get dried out in the safe? :eek: Maybe you can figure out something better so they stay properly humidified-----see you in Tucson!

Pattye
so many pearls so little time

pattye said:
Mikeyy, have you read here about pearl care and that they might get dried out in the safe? :eek: Maybe you can figure out something better so they stay properly humidified-----see you in Tucson!

Pattye
so many pearls so little time

Thanks Pattye

The Debate: Tissue or Bead Nucleation? The Pros and Cons of Each

To the original question. The Debate: Tissue or Bead Nucleation? The Pros and Cons of Each. I guess that depends on what side of the fence your on. If your a purest. And your only concern is your love of pearls the choice is obvious. If your a farmer and your profit margins are directly related to the amount of round symmetric pearls. Again your choice is obvious. And if your in the nuclei business once more your choice is made for you. :D

maybe not, maybe they see it as a sort of Mollusk plastic surgery?:p

I read somewhere that natural pearls are found in the mantle of the mollusks. I wonder why tissue nucleating the mantle wouldn't work? I know that beads in the mantle didn't work in various experiments, but I never heard of any experiments with tissue only nucleation.

Lacking that, keshi are solid nacre and sometimes they are really plump and smooth. I would like to see more keshi produced in p margaretifera. (sp?) I think keshi has all the advantages that natural and tissue nuked pearls have except they are invariably baroque- which I happen to love.

I've read that the mantle tissue of the Akoya oyster is thinner than the mantle tissue of FW mussels and can't tolerate the implant. I don't know if this is true of other oysters besides Akoyas.

Are you talking bead plus tissue implant or a tissue only implant? I know the former does not work - am curious about the latter.

Are you talking bead plus tissue implant or a tissue only implant? I know the former does not work - am curious about the latter.

I'd be interested in the answer to this myself, even given that growing an all nacre pearl in an akoya would be time consuming.
In addition, does anybody know if keishi are ever grown on purpose in akoya?
barbie

The problem is the chinese flooded the market with low quality pearls and gave the general public the impression that freshwater pearls are bad and "saltwater pearls" are good.

Take Hyundai for example, they are making some decent cars these days, but they pumped out so many garbage cars over the years that this is what they are known for. Its a similar situation with CFWP.

Its just a matter of changing the publics perception of the product and china has made a lot of progress since my last post.

As Caitlin mentioned, we now have gem quality CFWP all over the place, where 2 years ago they were not so common.

what they were advertised to be when I later tested them myself using XRF and a number of other techniques.

I'm just curious but what kind of tests do you do to test for quality, besides looking at them?

Back