The Debate: Tissue or Bead Nucleation? The Pros and Cons of Each

Caitlin Williams said:
Hi Mike
Welcome. Where are you located? What mollusk is the Australian pearl industry using for nucleii? I assume it is Mississippi river drainage system?

Hi Caitlan

I am in Newport Beach right now. And yes the nuclei is made of fresh water mussels. I am shipping shell from Illinois to China where it is manufactured in to beads as you've seen at the Fukui factory. My company is headquartered in Illinois. But its cold there. So I'm here for the winter. And I will head to HK and China pretty soon.

I was commenting on what a good idea this site is. Its about time.

I love pearls too. In fact I don't even like to drill them. But thats just me. :D

Mikeyy said:
Hi Caitlan

I am in Newport Beach right now. And yes the nuclei is made of fresh water mussels. I am shipping shell from Illinois to China where it is manufactured in to beads as you've seen at the Fukui factory. My company is headquartered in Illinois. But its cold there. So I'm here for the winter. And I will head to HK and China pretty soon.

I was commenting on what a good idea this site is. Its about time.

I love pearls too. In fact I don't even like to drill them. But thats just me. :D

Welcome from sunny San Diego. My brother lives in the back bay, by the way.;) I hope you'll stick around and join our pearl-happy group!

Cheers,
Blaire

Didn't have any changes in mind... just wondering. It seems such a long time!

I've learned to ... live with a strand of nucleated pearls in the same room since starting to post here ;) Maybe I should see what happens if I touched one !!?? LOL! I am being ridiculous, in writing, on a public forum :rolleyes: Who knows, maybe the bead-nucleated pearl in cause will just scream and run! :D

GemGeek said:
Welcome from sunny San Diego. My brother lives in the back bay, by the way.;) I hope you'll stick around and join our pearl-happy group!

Cheers,
Blaire

Thnks Blair

I have been bike riding around the back bay lately.(Didn't see your bro yet)

Welcome Mikey! I was interested to read that you do nuclei for the Aussie market. I am a farmer in French Polynesia but also have a secondary activity in the shell/nuclei trade here (SARL Inami). Some years ago I started grafting with MOP from non other than your Maxima shells as well as our Pinctadas. In independent tests run by the gov here they found 3% more A (AAA in American system) grade pearls with these nucs. Using Pinctada MOP's enables us to lay off the overfished freshwater species on top of producing superior pearls. On top of all that it's recycling man, recycling. Cheers, Josh

Hey fella you lookin for a fight.:mad: Kidding aside, been there done that. Really. Its good to meet you though Josh. I'm not here to sell nuclei first of all. And I am not going to tell you what to put in your shell. Their your shell. And besides, I am as busy as I need to be in that dept.

I am here to learn from all of you. I started digging mussels in the Mississippi in 1968 at 13. I could write a book about my adventures in this business. As I'm sure you could.

Here's the thing. Although I love pearls I have never taken the time to learn about the pearl marketing industry. I've been to the HK shows a few times. Other smaller shows. I obviously know people in the trade. But I always new that to do it properly you would have to spend a lot of time at it. Time I didn't use to have so much of. So silly as it may sound. I am at a time in my life where I have the time. And I'm wanting to educate myself in this end of the business. And I don't feel like burdening my friends. If you know what I mean.

So, Any education you could send my way regarding the pearl marketing biz would be appreciated. And I will in turn keep my opinions about salt water nuclei to myself.

Ahahaha! I love it. The red angry man is a welcome change from all those cheesy smiley faces (this is where I duck as rotten vegetables fly towards my head).
Nice to meet you too Mikey. I'm not here to sell nuclei either. It's a tough game to share with the Chinese. The bulk of that business for me is the shells. The Chinese are buying them not selling them.
As for your education in the business/industry of pearls, just read this forum for starters. The need for credibilty here has spawned a source of information that is second to none.
Secondly, you could go to show coming up in Tucson. Then again, it may not be big enough for the two of us. Damn. After talking trash about smilies, I can't use one.

Ahem, excuse me,

Josh, does this mean you will be at Tucson?

Hope, hope,

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

HI Pattye
I thought I read that he was coming here for the show.

Mikeyy
You're based in IL, but do you buy shells from various rivers? What kind(s) of mussel do you use most? Every month or so, I post an article about the rivers and streams where freshwater mussels are dying out. It would be nice to know where they are still plentiful. Any news articles about you? We can post links here.

BTW What do you do with the pearls?

Hi Josh:)
I often put smileys, because people often do not read the tone of a post right and may feel put off. :eek:

SHAME on you guys!

You made me snort!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Who's Larry? And is he available for New Year's?

Josh said:
Ahahaha! I love it. The red angry man is a welcome change from all those cheesy smiley faces (this is where I duck as rotten vegetables fly towards my head).
Nice to meet you too Mikey. I'm not here to sell nuclei either. It's a tough game to share with the Chinese. The bulk of that business for me is the shells. The Chinese are buying them not selling them.
As for your education in the business/industry of pearls, just read this forum for starters. The need for credibilty here has spawned a source of information that is second to none.
Secondly, you could go to show coming up in Tucson. Then again, it may not be big enough for the two of us. Damn. After talking trash about smilies, I can't use one.

Sounds like we'll get along fine Josh. I figure we better have a few laughs. Otherwise whats the point. It looks as if you follow that theory too. Good on ya. Hope to meet you at the show. I'll come unarmed. :D

Caitlin Williams said:
HI Pattye
I thought I read that he was coming here for the show.

Mikeyy
You're based in IL, but do you buy shells from various rivers? What kind(s) of mussel do you use most? Every month or so, I post an article about the rivers and streams where freshwater mussels are dying out. It would be nice to know where they are still plentiful. Any news articles about you? We can post links here.

BTW What do you do with the pearls?

Hi Josh:)
I often put smileys, because people often do not read the tone of a post right and may feel put off. :eek:
Hi Caitlan

The story about shells is too long to post by a dedicated one fingered typist. There are plenty of shells in the states for the industry. Some places were over fished and mismanaged by the DNR and state Fish and Wildlife agencies. While on the other hand there are many states that haven't been open for shell harvests that have an abundance of shell. There have been die offs that were related to agricultural chemicals etc. Many articles you read are written by people associated with the government agencies. You have to keep in mind that there is a contentious relationship between these agencies and the mussel industry. They are focused on the sportsman. And they would be happy to put an end to commercial activity all together.

I have seen the result of gov. and private industry working together in Australia. It can work right.

I would be glad to speak to you some time and fill in the blanks. PM me your number if you like and I'll Explain further some time.

As far as my pearls go. They sit in the safe. I pull them out roll them around and put em back. LOL They have sentimental value to me. I've picked them up over the years. Nothing super special. As I said I haven't really been in the pearl Biz. And all the best ones are hanging on all the girls in my family. Nothing wrong with a little PR. I might need someone to wheel me around if I get old. :rolleyes:

Back