got tiaras?

kojimapearl

Hello fellow pearl lovers.....
I thought it appropriate to start a thread dedicated to the playful and regal spirit of the TIARA !
I have been meaning to share this beauty. Handmade by a dear friend of mine Katja. (she owns Tutto Amiamo Galleria in Petaluma, California.. and is well know for her whimsical designs).
The body of the tiara is 14k rose gold, with 18k yellow gold bezels and 22k yellow gold accents. There are baroque Kamoka pearls, natural wild abalone pearls and Japan Kasumi pearls, "angel skin" coral and a few little diamonds for sparkle. It is a truly magical piece of jewelry. There is also a lapel pin to match (for the groom)!
Just another way to show your love of pearls and make your special day... even pearlier!

I hope this will inspire some of you to consider a pearl tiara for your wedding, or for just lazing around the house :D.. and that the rest of you will share some other photos of examples of your own favorite pearl tiaras.... both real and imaginary!

Cheers, Sarah

Pearl TiaraPearl TiaraPearl TiaraPearl Hair PinPearl Tiara

Sarah,

Ohhh Pretty, Modern day Disney Princess. Really like it!

Ooooh, aahhhh, gorgeous! Last year I had a garden party themed "steampunk fairies, tiaras optional" - would have fit right in. I must make myself a pearl tiara. I actually would have many occasions to use one. Thanks for the inspiration, Sarah!

Hmmmmm...perhaps to go with my pearly corset I've vowed to make for the 2011 ruckus?

Sheri

To be horribly, mindcrushingly pedantic, that is a billiment, not a tiara. A tiara sits just on the hairline or thereabouts and is worn horizontally. The bit of kit in Sarah's photo is designed to be worn vertically, like an Alice band, towards the back or crown of the head and stand out like a halo.

To be horribly, mindcrushingly pedantic, that is a billiment, not a tiara. A tiara sits just on the hairline or thereabouts and is worn horizontally. The bit of kit in Sarah's photo is designed to be worn vertically, like an Alice band, towards the back or crown of the head and stand out like a halo.
Wendy is perfectly right, of course, but it's still a beautiful, whimsical, creative way to use the pearls. I like the matching lapel pin for the groom!

ok ok... got billiments???
Thank you both for the correction!... and thank you for adding a new word to my vocabulary!
Cheers, Sarah:)

Its a very good word, isn't it! Your challenge now is to use it in a conversation in the next 48 hours! (and not on the forum)

Ooooh, aahhhh, gorgeous! Last year I had a garden party themed "steampunk fairies, tiaras optional" - would have fit right in. I must make myself a pearl tiara. I actually would have many occasions to use one. Thanks for the inspiration, Sarah!

Hmmmmm...perhaps to go with my pearly corset I've vowed to make for the 2011 ruckus?

Sheri

Ooh a steampunk garden party?! Where was I?? J/K ;)
Sure sounds like a fun event tho!

Love the billiment, btw- it's sweet. It's like what Ariel the Little Mermaid would wear for her Quinceanera lol

I agree with GG. It is like something from Oz...

This is my favorite pic of Glinda by the late, great John R Neill

Attachments

• glinda-red.jpg
    glinda-red.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 52
Is the round crown sitting on her head a billiment also, or a different designation? Love these bits of esoterica (correct usage?)!

It is a sort of coronet - a crown-ette. That sort of impractical and probably impossible actually to keep on is popular in fairy tales etc. Queen Victoria often wore a coronet and not a crown. True Crowns are big and heavy and not exactly everyday kit.
Coronets are also crown-ish-s as worn by peers (members of the upper chamber of the UK parliament) and hereditary Lords (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronet)
The whole crowns thing is fascinating
and strict etiquette is that only married ladies can wear a tiara, except on the way to the wedding when a family one can be worn

Wendy: Challenge to use the word "billiment" in a conversation ACCEPTED... insert evil giggles here!
Pattye: YES YES YES... You got it... May the Tiara/Billiment/Coronet Design Contest BEGIN! (hours of fun!)
Caitlin: Thanks for posting yet another photographic reminder of the pearls place in "fairy tales!" beautiful!

OK! It's official then! TIARA/BILLIMENT/CORONET/CROWN Design Contest!

How do these work for "rules"?

1. Design and create the adornment of your choice, using pearls as your primary gems.

2. Other gemstones and materials can be included.

3. Post pictures, detailing the materials used and any design challenges. A picture of you wearing your creation would be delightful!

4. Contest starts now, and will end on Feburary 14, 2011. Valentine's Day will be perfect to make our debut in our new Pearl Adornments!

5. ALL contestants will receive an award (not yet decided on) for participating!

6, Multiple entries allowed.

Any suggestions and comments? These rules can be modified! I hope this will give us something fun to work on through those dreary days of January!

Last edited:
I will donate a grab bag of loose pearls to the winner! Thanks for setting up the contest Pattye! Ooooooohhhhh.... I am very excited to watch this unfold!

Back