What size thread for 10-14mm SSPs?

dkan 168

Hi peeps,

Just returned from a week in Hong Kong, and bought myself a bargain South Sea Pearls, silver tone, mostly round and quite good surfaces.

I need to string it myself, and would appreciate advice on what size thread to use please.

Many thanks in advance :)

DK :)

What kind of thread? What sized holes? I don't think the SSP's should have much bigger holes, but in PowerPro I would try both 20lb and 30lb to see which will fit better.

As Caitlin said depends on hole size to gauge thread.

Having said that, I usually use at least four strands of thread when I
thread/knot south seas- it can either be four strands medium, two medium and two fine etc.(really have to see the pearls close up and personal to gauge yours).:(

Have explained on previous threads my thread of choice is an Aussie made kagee thread- like all brands the gauge can differ from brand to brand.

Hi Bernadette!
How do you knot with 4 threads? What is the advantage? After the first time you mentioned you do that, I had to do it on a piece with large holes. It was awkward. Any tips?

Awwww, thanks peeps for the advice and kind words!

Been busy with other aspects of my life, that's all :)

I was thinking about using silk thread, Size E as that's what I already have at home :)

Only way to know is try it. If its too thin for the drill holes, try doubling it or more. When you knot it the knots need to be big enough for the pearls not to slip (tug to check) over them.
I recently bought some south sea baroques that came from Malulu (STUNNING!), the drill holes were quite big, I didn't have any FFF silk, so I used FF silk doubled. I use Guderbrod, I think they vary in thickness with brand.

Hi Bernadette!
How do you knot with 4 threads? What is the advantage? After the first time you mentioned you do that, I had to do it on a piece with large holes. It was awkward. Any tips?

Caitlin, The best way is to practise with large hole pearls/beads and number 8 crochet cotton.
Then move to your normal thread when you feel you have mastered the knots.
I also use tweezers, I find this enables me to get the knot precisely
to the pearl (two swift movements using tweezers)

Dkan, I have found that Tahitian pearls tend to have bigger holes
than the Aussie south sea pearls.

You could try using a drill bit as a gauge to see what the hole size is.
That will give you an indication of what diameter threads to use.

No worries!

I shall attempt re-stringing the strand after the new year using my existing Size E threads :)

I am assuming the drillhole is at least .7mm or larger. If so, E may not work, and you have to go to F. But you can tried double knotting. I have to use a darning needle to get the knots closer to the pearls, otherwise, it's a mess to untangle the double knots. Mainly I've been using Power Pro and for .7mm, I use 30 lb. double knotting or 45lb single knotting. If I don't double knot using 30lb, the knots slipped through the pearls.

I am assuming the drillhole is at least .7mm or larger. If so, E may not work, and you have to go to F. But you can tried double knotting. I have to use a darning needle to get the knots closer to the pearls, otherwise, it's a mess to untangle the double knots. Mainly I've been using Power Pro and for .7mm, I use 30 lb. double knotting or 45lb single knotting. If I don't double knot using 30lb, the knots slipped through the pearls.

Never used Power Pro before, and the drill holes do not look that much bigger than those in my baroque Tahitians, so I shall give Es a go.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

DK :)

I'm just learning to knot, and found I couldn't get the hang of the darning needle (or any other way) to slip the knots until I stuck the needle into my sweat pants near the knee. That stabilized it, and made it a portable aid, too.

I'll master the usual ways, but I was in a hurry to use the necklace, so just winged it.

Thank God for all of you, and your tips!

I am right-handed. Left hand holds the longer side of thread. Right hand is used with darning needle. I use 3rd and 4th fingers to holdthe pearls, index and thumb to hold the darning needle and slides the knot while my left hand pulls the other end of the thread. I hope that helps.

Hi Cathy, you're the petite blond in Hawaii, right? I'm trying to put faces w names.
3rd and 4th fingers of which hand? I'm trying to visualize it... Maybe if I re-read this when I have a string of pearls in my hands I'll get it. Thanks! I'm grateful for All help!

Hi Cathy, you're the petite blond in Hawaii, right? I'm trying to put faces w names.
3rd and 4th fingers of which hand? I'm trying to visualize it... Maybe if I re-read this when I have a string of pearls in my hands I'll get it. Thanks! I'm grateful for All help!

Nope, petite Asian who wishes she lives in Hawaii right now.

Tie the knot loosely and use the darning needle with your right hand to move the knot as close as you can to the pearl. 3rd and 4th fingers of right hand acting like pliers to hold the thread and last pearl that you want the knot to sit next to. So your fingers are like crab claws around the previous knot. To the left of that knot is the last pearl you just slid through. To the left of that last pearl is the knot you just knotted and trying to slide the knot next to it. The 3rd and 4th fingers keep the right hand side of the string stationary. Index and thumb move the darning needle and knot next to the pearl.

Will take pic by this weekend if you need me to.

Last edited:
Hi Cathy,
Yoiks! Sorry about that. ok, cool, I remember that series of posts. Jeremy remarked that you knew just what you were looking for and made quick work of them? I'm going to pop over and re-read them. So, now I have the correct face with the name! Thank you.
Thanks for the elaboration, too. The directions you gave make more sense now that I just finished watching the PP video about stringing. I guess that got my brain working along the right paths for your information.
Lisa C

Back