Tahitian pearls - Destroyed!

jshepherd

So this was sent in to us for repair this week. Two Tahitian pearl-on-leather necklaces worn for about 10 years, and apparently never taken off!

This might be the worst damage I've ever seen! The nacre is worn completely down to the nucleus.

Tahitian worn down to nucleus.jpg

And the leather lasted all that time! I would have thought the leather would wear out before the pearls.

Yeah, I'd like to know more about the condition of the leather if the necklaces have never been taken off.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did they expect to get repaired? Because the pearl would just have to be replaced, and you'd want to replace the leather thong also, so basically it's a new necklace, right?

There is no repairing on this, lol. I find it amazing about the leather too, but maybe it was replaced earlier. I've heard of something like this happening with Tahitians on leather before (I *think it was Josh who told me about it but I could be wrong), but I've never seen a pearl that was completely rubbed down to its core. Other factors, like cologne or sunscreen are likely in play, but WOW!

Was it worn by a guy with a rough neck? I'm really curious. It wore down so barrel shaped, like it was sanded.

Yeah, I'd like to know more about the condition of the leather if the necklaces have never been taken off.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did they expect to get repaired? Because the pearl would just have to be replaced, and you'd want to replace the leather thong also, so basically it's a new necklace, right?

It is an easy repair: reinsert the nucleus in a shell, wait a while, harvest and it is as good as new ;)

Hahah Lady_D!

Seriously though, this could have been a really crappy pair of Tahitians, with less than stellar nacre. But I suppose it also reinforces the notion of "nothing lasts forever" (even though DeBeers would like us to believe otherswise). I say good for the soul who wore those pearls down that way...clearly they were loved.

It is an easy repair: reinsert the nucleus in a shell, wait a while, harvest and it is as good as new ;)
Ha!! Love this Lady D!!

It is very odd - I agree the leather must have been replaced . Could have been super cheap tourist stuff ?? Can they even get their hands on thinner than allowed nacre pearls ? That's just amazing. Thanks for posting.

Hahahaha! Nice one! But the oyster might go "Bleh, yuck!" on that 10 year old pearl leftover and find a way to chuck it out of its system! ;) :p

Well darn, I guess I can't wear my Tahitian on leather every day. I like simply jewelry that I never have to take off. I knew the pearls would wear down in time, but just thought the luster would fade. Never thought the nacre would wear like that. Very interesting!

Could be a surfer? You know how fine the silt-like ocean sand is that floats up around your feet when you even take a step? Imagine that being lashed at you, at speed. What do the surfers say?

Also, I’m def not a surfer, but I wore my first Akoya strand down to the MOP bead wearing them everyday for 10yrs. They were antiques to start, though.

Last edited:
Wow, I just came across this post, and can’t believe my eyes! Hope this necklace had some sentimental value!

Tahitian and South Sea pearls generally have the thickest nacre of all bead nucleated pearls, especially compared to Akoya. I've never seen anything like this in all the years I've worked with and worn Tahitian pearls and observed others wearing surfer-style pearls on leather. There's more we need to know about this necklace!

Back