Need help from experts - what happened to this WSS pearl?

I have seen this before. I believe it's a fracture of the nacre on the inside. It won't snap off like a tokki pearl though, because the fracture seems to be covered by whole nacre.

No, I just need to buy a couple of simple items, get my cameras ready, shoot, edit...should be done in about 6 months ;)
Kidding...just a couple of weeks.

Haha! Watched your most recent videos a few days ago. I will be very keen to see this one, hopefully by the New Year :p? Meanwhile let me decide which pearl I want to cut open... :32:

I've seen these cracks before and always assumed it happened quite some time earlier as they seemed well under the surface. I did have one drop that I didn't sell as the crack seemed closer to the surface and I was concerned that if dropped it would crack further.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Katbran!

This is what puzzles me most: how can a pearl crack itself inside the shell... it's not like a hatchling is pecking from inside or something... :shrug:

I have seen this before. I believe it's a fracture of the nacre on the inside. It won't snap off like a tokki pearl though, because the fracture seems to be covered by whole nacre.

Thanks for your opinion, Jeremy. Do you think it's only a few layers' fracture, or all the layers from the visible fractured layer all the way to the center? Any thoughts on how this fracture could happen?

I actually have 2 pearls I really want to work on: both are freshwater, one shaped like a shuriken (ninja star) and the other one a large baroque.

I'm first finishing a heavy workload I have for this week, probably will shoot the video this weekend. I promise it won't take until 2026 :shocked:

Back