Tahitian pearl shopping in Hawaii

Wish Iʻd known you were around Hanaleimom, I was just hanging out and would have loved to have pearl browsed on the Big Island. We do have a lot of Tahitian connections here, and Tahitian pearls have been around and known for a longer time than in some parts of the world, as you probably know. There is a woman who sells beautiful strands at our local farmerʻs market, great color, shapes etc. She had a multi-color of Iʻd say 10mm (at least) really fabulous everything pearls for $5000. Her son-in-law has a farm and she goes and gets them. Good price, but out of my range. The stores are very high, although sometimes with a HI drivers license you can get a Kamaʻaina discount, but still expensive. Isnʻt it interesting that people prefer to pay more and buy from a store. Is that a security issue, or just habit? I sell my pieces for literally 25% of what you would pay in a store, and not just a jewelry store. I have them in a fine art gallery on consignment. Yesterday I was in the local bead store and saw a gemstone and pearl necklace similar to mine for 4 times what I would charge. However, the higher end pieces that are the best deals elicit such nerves. I guess you could go to Macyʻs and buy the totally lusterless, flat, grey down right ugly Tahitians I saw yesterday. ughhh. Although my husband bought me a pair of Tahitians from there about 6 years ago, and they are actually really nice pearls. Alooooha:cool:

Wish Iʻd known you were around Hanaleimom, I was just hanging out and would have loved to have pearl browsed on the Big Island. We do have a lot of Tahitian connections here, and Tahitian pearls have been around and known for a longer time than in some parts of the world, as you probably know. There is a woman who sells beautiful strands at our local farmerʻs market, great color, shapes etc. She had a multi-color of Iʻd say 10mm (at least) really fabulous everything pearls for $5000. Her son-in-law has a farm and she goes and gets them. Good price, but out of my range. The stores are very high, although sometimes with a HI drivers license you can get a Kamaʻaina discount, but still expensive. Isnʻt it interesting that people prefer to pay more and buy from a store. Is that a security issue, or just habit? I sell my pieces for literally 25% of what you would pay in a store, and not just a jewelry store. I have them in a fine art gallery on consignment. Yesterday I was in the local bead store and saw a gemstone and pearl necklace similar to mine for 4 times what I would charge. However, the higher end pieces that are the best deals elicit such nerves. I guess you could go to Macyʻs and buy the totally lusterless, flat, grey down right ugly Tahitians I saw yesterday. ughhh. Although my husband bought me a pair of Tahitians from there about 6 years ago, and they are actually really nice pearls. Alooooha:cool:

Hi Waimeamomi,
There was no TAH strands at Hilo's farmer's market, that I saw. You must be talking about Waimea, yeah? I stopped by Black Pearl Gallery on the bayfront next to Cafe Pesto too. They used to carry more strands but I did not see many this year. But I did not ask. Last year she brought out stuffs not on display. I did not really want to waste much of their time since I have no intention of buying. Last year I saw a strand I really liked but it was way out of budget for me. I checked prices of some baroque strands on display as well as earrings and passed. I also stopped by Macy's at PKP and saw some $2K strands that were ugly and lusterless like you said. We passed by Waimea on the the way back from Mauna Kea beach last Monday. The haze was on the west side for hours. That's why I like the east side better, less commercial and touristy, small, old town feeling, less vog, eventhough it was the wild west. LOL. Sending my shaka your way.

Yes, the farmerʻs market in Waimea. The vog keeps shifting, but the lack of trade winds kept it bad the week you were here. Yesterday I was in Hilo, my daughter at Hapuna, and it was drop dead gorgeous in both places. Trades!! Shaka right back at you!

Beautiful pictures and great shots.
The prices...were..uh... a tad high.:eek:

Makes me want to give <<<cyber squeezes>>> to all our online vendors!!

Pat

Thanks for the pics. Cathy.
Wow !
I love the 9k. one too; but I wouldn't turn my nose up at the 72" strand, either....:D

Cathy, I've just come back for a second look at the pearls - got caught up in the nucleus stuff the first time round...

Gorgeous pearls - I agree with everone else that the 9k strand looks fabulous! The 72 inch one seems to be wearing you, though - rather than the other way around!

Great photos! I too like the 9k strand the most.
Looks smashing on you!

Thanks for the photos - great fun seeing your shopping expeditions!

Mike, interesting observation. I am looking forward to seeing the Grade 2/3 nuclei in comparison. It makes sense (regarding not needing a white nucleus when the pearls are dark). I learned something new today.
John

The following is a photo of a cut pearl. You can see the brownish striation at the top of the nucleus.

It is a golden South Sea pearl.

Attachments

• golden-cut-half.jpg
    golden-cut-half.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 35
The following is a photo of a cut pearl. You can see the brownish striation at the top of the nucleus.

It is a golden South Sea pearl.

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for posting the picture.

Mikeyy, same to you too.

Like waimeamomi says, I feel sad. I've re-read the reference material again regarding "pearl nucleus manufacturing" on the left side of the page and understand what Mikeyy was showing now.

Last edited:
The following is a photo of a cut pearl. It is a golden South Sea pearl.
Jeremy, if you have more 3mm+-nacred SS Golds you are planning to chop up, no doubt Pearl-Guiders would be willing to alternatively dispose. Remember, we're not wallowing in vaults of those things here!

(Or did you create two superior Mab?s?)

Hi gang,
Sorry to be out of if for some time now but I'm back for a few days before running off again.
Mikeyy you nailed it. That broken pearl is giant clam for sure. In my sixteen years of experience drilling pearls I have never had one break that was not giant clam. Another interesting thing that that photo revealed is the borderline nacre coating. Judging by the size of the drill hole the pearl looks to be an 8 or 8.5mm. If you need .8mm to legally export a pearl...
I'm not throwing mud at the Pearl Market people and their farming. They also buy from other farmers (me included). The industry clearly needs better control over what nuclei are used and what gets exported.
We use MOP nuclei from Pinctada margartifera AND maxima. It's tough to get the bigger sizes from our black lips but the Maxima doesn't really seem to have a limit to the size. We have some 18mm beads on stock. A proper nuclei, whether made of MOP or freshwater mussel will not explode a pearl like the one in the photo. Pearls without thick nacre can split along stratification lines but they won't explode like the one in the photo. Does any one disagree?

Back