Tahitian pearl industry's perfect storm

Josh

Hi everyone,
Sorry to have been quiet these last few months. Been working hard on a number of different things but thought I'd peek my head in and give a general birds eye view of the situation down here. I have been asked by a number of you what's going on so I thought I'd tried to sum it the best I can.

In 2005 we experienced the lowest point of our industry up 'til that point. Prices spiraled downward to under the cost of production for most farms. Old-schoolers who hadn't been keeping up with the times closed doors and the larger, industrial operations were left standing as well as the dedicated medium and small farms. Production dropped and the following years saw pearl prices climb to a level that gave producers their confidence back so production went up again. Buyers clued in and price erosion took over again in '07, once again forcing prices below the cost of production. This time though, they didn't stop there.

All this yo-yo-ing in my eyes is the natural result of an uncontrolled market. Lack of structure leads to anarchy and the buyers, local or international, are the first to lick their chops. This isn't an accusation though, it's just what happens. I'll be the first to say that as a farmer, I am at fault for not being proactive in the change. In 2005 I did get involved but that's another post, probably in the thread about the "GIE is no longer."

The x-factor that has kept the price of pearls in a state of freefall here in Tahiti is the world economic crisis. It has made for what I think of as a "perfect storm." The downward dip of our yo-yo was given massive inertia by the world wide phenomenon of people putting their wallets away. Lean times and worry being the most frequent currency.

So this time the carnage is being taken to whole other level. The big guys are in serious trouble with reports of some of the top producers throwing in the towel. This is devastating to the industry's labor force, pushing many people back to the main island of Tahiti in search of employment. No one is sheltered from this storm but there are still people making pearls. Those who have the capacity to get away from the local market and those with rock bottom production costs (read: sketchy employers with lots of family "help").

The support of everyone on Pearl-Guide who has bought pearls either directly from me or from one of my many retailers has really been the deciding factor that has kept me in business. I am eternally grateful to Jeremy for bringing us Pearl-Guide and to all of you for supporting it. In Sarah Canizzaro's wonderful words: Thank you. More please.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty tough situation for all concerned, Josh, and our thoughts are with you all. So many industries are facing unparalleled difficulties at the moment.... but when whole communities rely on your farms, along with compounding issues from within, you do indeed seem to be in the middle of a 'perfect storm'. I wish you well, and in my theory that ethics wins - trust that you and your Kamoka family will somehow ride this out.

Yes, it's been really tough everywhere, even where people thought they wouldn't be touched. The good news though, the love for Tahitian pearls hasn't diminished. Hopefully things will begin to bounce back soon.

>The support of everyone on Pearl-Guide who has bought pearls either directly from me or from one of my many retailers has really been the deciding factor that has kept me in business.

I realize you don't know me, Josh, I'm new here. But I wanted to say that I agree pearl-guide is your best advertising. First I found pearloutlet, then found this board while researching some purchases from pearloutlet. Since then I've made a few purchases here and there, but mostly, hubby and I have begun making purchases for our twelfth anniversary (which is a little over a year from now and is supposedly the 'pearl' anniversary). I'm saying this, because the very first thing I decided is that I want it to be all pearls from your farm. So in my case, I can definitely agree that pearl-guide has been excellent advertising for you. :)

Nice to meet you,
--Pearl

Last edited:
Josh, I am sorry to hear you going through it over there- hang in there!

It is so very frustrating, Josh, to work hard for something you love only to be subject to such wild swings that are beyond your control. As somebody with lovely Tahitians from you through your valued resellers, I want nothing but your success so that I, too, can can continue to get beautiful pearls from you.

Hi Josh--I have indirectly purchased your beautiful pearls. I have more on my list. Good luck. May we all weather this Gargantuan financial hurricane intact.

I'm getting my bag together to leave for Hong Kong in an hour and just wanted to say that I'm feeling really good, especially after reading the uplifting words above this post. Knowing the support is there really makes an incredible difference. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Good luck in HK and hang in there :)

DK :)

Back