Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

I agree - the pearls in a harvest strand should be from one source. Anything else is a 'pearls off the floor/leftovers' strand

Well, I love my leftovers strand. I waited a very long time to be able to get it and it makes me happy. I think it's beautiful regardless of its humble origins, while I also greatly admire the real thing.

They are real pearls and that is what matters IMO, not whether they were all plucked out of the oysters during the same calendar year. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on this one GemGeek, and Pearl Dreams. It took me quite some time to assemble my harvest strand, graced with the mermaid/octo clasp! This strand, as well as the others I assembled were not done so with left over or off the floor pearls; an implication that suggests their creation was an after thought, without intent. I spent quite some time selecting not only the lots, but the individual pearls from those lots to create the several strands that I have made. Without being able to actually control the content (i.e. not owning the pearl farm) I suspect most strands of this nature are assembled from not only a variety of harvests, but also a variety of farms. I define a harvest strand as a representation of the types of cultured Tahitian pearls farmed.

Your harvest strand is beautiful, Blaire :)

Made my day to see your lovely smile, Blaire ... you look wonderful!

Thank you, everyone for the nice words. It was Josh's first Kamoka harvest strand that put the desire in my heart, but I wanted a long rope, and since I purchased my house, funds for pearls have been small. Seeing all the fabulous SSP harvest strands at the ruckus was just more temptation. Thanks to a tip from lmgarden, I was able to get an affordable long rope with black, gold and silver Tahitian and SS pearls.

I wouldn't want to take away from anyone who has the real thing - they are such treasures - especially knowing their provenance and even knowing the farmers. If I had the wherewithal, I would prefer to buy from them. Pearl farmers are special people and so are the collectors who support them. :)

GemGeek- You look gorgeous in your pearls and they make you happy and that’s what counts! Enjoy that strand- you look fantastic wearing it!

Exactly how I feel, Blaire! I'd love to get allll the awesome collector's items that our fabulous community of pearl farmers create, but juggling tuition for two kids in daycare in the DC area means I can't get all the pearls I want. Yours are stunning and you look so happy in them, and that's the point, isn't it?

I agree - the pearls in a harvest strand should be from one source. Anything else is a 'pearls off the floor/leftovers' strand

While I believe a harvest strand should be from a single source, single harvest, I don't think an imitation harvest strand is a leftovers strand. A faux harvest strand takes just as much work to put together, and is going to look best with quality pearls. It just needs to be described as harvest-style strand.

Blaire,

That's a beautiful strand. And in fairness, I believe that PP called their strands harvest strands when they were made in house (not the Jewelemer ones, but the Tahitian ones that were one of the monthly sales a few years back).

We might be strand sisters. Mine is quite similar. It's become the one I reach for the most.

My favorite strand

While I believe a harvest strand should be from a single source, single harvest, I don't think an imitation harvest strand is a leftovers strand. A faux harvest strand takes just as much work to put together, and is going to look best with quality pearls. It just needs to be described as harvest-style strand.

I'm ok with calling it a harvest style strand, but I think it might be confusing to call it faux. To me that would imply the cultured pearls themselves are fake/faux/imitation.

Blaire,

That's a beautiful strand. And in fairness, I believe that PP called their strands harvest strands when they were made in house (not the Jewelemer ones, but the Tahitian ones that were one of the monthly sales a few years back).

We might be strand sisters. Mine is quite similar. It's become the one I reach for the most.

Sweet strand, Pearl Sis! Yes, I remember Jeremy calling them harvest strands - we talked about how much work they were. Jeremy secretly loves matching pearls! I can't tell you how much I love my necklace and also my baby Edison rope. Happiness does come from pearls!

Well, I love my leftovers strand. I waited a very long time to be able to get it and it makes me happy. I think it's beautiful regardless of its humble origins, while I also greatly admire the real thing.

Your strand is wonderful Blaire and you looked so lovely wearing it! I would never call it a 'pearls off the floor/leftovers' strand. If anyone does it's just sour grapes on their part. It takes a good eye and skill to put a mixture of color and shaped pearls together to make such a lovely strand. Enjoy wearing your beautiful strand :)

Ahh GemGeek, you look so happy and gorgeous wearing your harvest style rope!! I’m so happy that your happy with your new strand! So far I haven’t seen a harvest strand or harvest style strand I didn’t like - and I particularly like yours... wink!

Thanks everybody for the replies about my question to what a harvest strand really is. I thought its a representative of what one type of pearl could be like say a tahitian harvest so it will have rounds, baroques, keshies, drops in one strand. Never knew that it needs to be made by a single pearl farmer from a single harvest. If so the purist harvest strand would soohhh special and soooohh difficult to get and soohh out of the budget for me hahaha.

In the mean time heres a pic of me wearing Cees strand layered with my gold flower pendant and my long dangle earrings. Btw..I am sooo wanting to wear Cees strand that I just literally tie the strand up my neck. It havent been knotted or anything and it doesnt have any clasp..anyway one male workmate noticed that Im wearing different pearls jewelleries everyday and another female workmate asking if my pearls are genuine and asked where I got them cause they are sooooo prettyyy! Well..thats what she said.

Cees strand layered with my gold flower pendant and my long dangle earringsCees strand layered with my gold flower pendant and my long dangle earrings close up

Last edited:
Gorgeous!!!! Those Tahitians are amazing.

JP: Yes, after I used the words "faux" and "imitation" I decided they didn't work because they are real pearls. That's why I finally settled on "Harvest-style."

Ooohhhh I thought I saw collection of pearls off the floor from the collection on your website Mrs. Wendy? It look like leftovers pearls and people just literally pluck it off from the floor on hk gemshow and turn it into a strand/pendant. Is that what you mean by off the floor leftover strand/pearls?

Last edited:
Back