Royal Wedding Pearls

Miriam Reed

Beneath all the elaborate hats, pearls were very much on display among the guests at the Royal Wedding on April 29th. I haven't seen a thread with the pics yet, so I'll post some of them. I like Sophie Winkleman's South Sea pearl earrings. Sophie Winkleman - South Sea pearl earrings at Royal Wedding.jpg

more pearl pics

more pearl pics

The Princess of Kent
Princess of Kent.jpg
Maria Theresa Grand Duchess of Luxembourg Maria Theresa Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.jpg
Princess Victoria of SwedenPrincess Victoria of Sweden.jpg
Princess Ann Princess Ann.jpg
Camila Parker Bowles 7187-amp-camila-parker-bowles-1a.jpg
Princess Maxima of Holland Princess Maxima of Holland.jpg
Charlene Wittstock Charlene Wittstock.jpg

Now I'm about as far away from a "royal watcher" as could possibly be but it was disappointing to not see a pearl necklace on the pride.

You have made a fantastic job collecting these pics !
Looking at these ladies' selection, I cannot resist saying to myself " less is more", I mean earrings and necklace do not go together IMHO.
Being myself a collector, I always put on earrings plus necklace, plus bracelet plus ring, and OMG looking at me in the mirror I think, that's too much.
I was lucky enough to attend to the famous Christie's big sale in Geneva last november, where the biggest pink diamond in the world was sold (46 M dol !) the girls intended to show the jewelry on sale wore "only" one piece with a black dress and, besides being lovely without jewelry, they really looked great because they only wore one piece ...
I shall be glad to share opinions here ...

Last edited:
113269645_8.jpg

I agree with Pattye and Anna. The dress and fabric were so rich that there was no place for jewelry.
"Less is more"..........

and "someone else" with pearls at the wedding ;)

Attachments

• 113287834.jpg
    113287834.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 50
Thank you for showing all these pictures! I was wondering about the guests jewelry when I briefly watched them arrive at the church but it was hard to see anything but the hats :)

At least there was one wearer of keshis!

- Karin

And the bride did have some pearls sewn into the trim and buttonholes. Pippa's dress had the same buttons up the back as the bride. I woke up the AM after and thought,"I just have to see Pippa's dress again!" So I Googled it and found hundreds of sites that felt as I did about it.

Miriam, thank you for the pearl-specific version of the Royal Wedding photos. It's very nice to see the photos collated to showcase the pearl jewellery. I have to say, I was distracted from thinking about the jewellery by the many hats and fascinators of the day.

The last time I ever paid attention to a Royal Wedding was Charles and Diana's bash but even then I have scant recollection of that, being barely five at the time. (Oops! Now I've gone and given away my age!)

I do think pearls are THE wedding gem and I think a properly set pearl earring or well-strung strand can make a huge difference.

My favourite pearl item of the above would have to be Sophie Winkleman's South Sea pearl earrings. Classic and timeless.

Even though the bride wasn't able to wear pearls I dare say that she was looking quite the gem that day.

I don't own enough pearls to observe anything but the one-piece rule but it does make sense. It's so easy to get it wrong with jewellery and forget that less can be more. I like my pearls simple and haven't had the courage to wear pearls strung with anything else but pearls.

I think I need to look through the Beaders threads here for ideas.

Last edited:
Was Sophie Winkleman photo shown here, taken the day of the wedding ?

One piece works well when you're young and practically a gem yourself.

A suite of jewelry is appropriate whenever it doesn't overwhelm the outfit or the wearer. And if it makes the wearer happy, then all rules are out the window.

Life is too short not to enjoy your jewelry. Wear your best whenever you feel like it or you'll never get that darn cost-per-wearing down, right? :)

One piece works well when you're young and practically a gem yourself.

A suite of jewelry is appropriate whenever it doesn't overwhelm the outfit or the wearer. And if it makes the wearer happy, then all rules are out the window.

Life is too short not to enjoy your jewelry. Wear your best whenever you feel like it or you'll never get that darn cost-per-wearing down, right? :)

Absolutely!

I am totally into pearls with jeans, for instance. That even have a group named something like that on Facebook.

Eccentricity was a lot harder for me to display when I was young, but I went right ahead and did or wore whatever I liked. For instance, at one time I owned about 350 hats and wore them at every opportunity. Being happy is just compensation for being the offbeat person that doesn't blend in. :cool:

Back