re: SSP?

Jeangrey1

Community member
re: SSP?

Hi,

I bought these from my trip to Aldevinco Mall in Davao City. The seller told me that they are "gold" SSP. Problem is, the color started to fade, only then was I told that they were "enhanced" :( Bought them for about USD800.

I would like to know if they are indeed SSP.

some particulars:

1. 16.5-17mm diameter
2. gritty to tooth test.
3. enhanced :(

Thanks in advance :) View attachment 25030View attachment 25031View attachment 25032View attachment 25033

Attachments

• IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 24
From the little I know about SSP's, I'd say they're big enough to be that as they feel gritty. I guess shell pearls would flake rather than fade too. It is common for golden SSP's to be dyed as that colour is worth quite a bit more. You really need to know your vendor to make sure they're not treated.

Brick and mortar shops always charge more than on-line pearls stores because they have more expenses. If you compare what you paid to Pearl Paradise' website, you'll quickly be able to tell if the price matches. If you paid less than golden SSP's in these settings would cost at PP, something is wrong.

Did the seller offer you a refund as the pearls are misrepresented?

- Karin

Hi Karin,

Unfortunately, she told me that to replace the discolored pearl ( which is the pendant-closest to my body :() I have to pay Php 5,000.00 additional for it. Problem is, when I was there, I wasn't able to find anything close to the shape and size and color of pearl among her stocks :(. I think the discoloration worsened when I forgot to remove my necklace during gym showers and when in the field :(( . Is there a way to rescue the pearls? or at least return them to their original color (if it's adviseable)... Thanks so much. I really love the size and color of these pearls that when they faded in color I felt disappointed :(. I think I overwore them :(

They should not have faded in color. It sounds like the color may have been painted on, unfortunately. I am not even certain what you have there, but I am certain about one thing; any farm could sell a quality South Sea pearl that is 16.5-17 mm and round for much more than you paid for the set of four. Only pearls considered unsaleable or faked (either due to quality, by treatment or plain faux) could be purchased in that range.

Thanks for the info,Jeremy.

About the pearls, I will talk to the seller if they can be replaced :( but I think it will entail more money. I will not buy from them again :(.

JeanGrey1

JeanGrey, after the post from Jeremy you might also want to consider what you would even the pearls replaced with. Doesn't sound like another set would be any different if a single good pearl is much more expensive than your four :( If possible, maybe you can look in her inventory for something nice that doesn't look like it should have cost five times as much. That might be genuine. And you can take photos before deciding and tell her you'll be listing them here for us to help you judge. You can also give her the link to this thread so she knows what's being said. If she doesn't want to work with you on this you might consider naming her here so others who take the time to check on-line and find this post won't make the same mistake.

- Karin

Back