Please Help!!!

PearlGearl

Hi everyone! I'm totally new to all of this and I needed some help. I have recently come into about 500 or so (I haven't counted yet) natural pearls. I know nothing about pearls or their value or anything. My Grandfather was a jeweler and he gave me a bunch before he died. I got a lot of pieces made that I will keep forever but for the rest of them, I really don't have any need for a few hundred loose pearls. I know they are all natural because he told me those were the only kind he got. They range in size from very tiny to about the size of a dime. They also range in color from pure white to pink. I don't think any of them are perfectly round. I am looking to sell them and I really don't have a clue in the world as to how much they are worth. I know it is hard to give me an answer based on just a rough description but any estimate would be helpful. I'm really not trying to get cheated. I also am having a hard time finding anyone who will buy them. Every place I have looked into only buys wholesale pearls, no one will buy a few hundred from me. Any suggestions? I hope someone can help me!!!

Thanks a million!

Hi there PearlGearl,

Can you put up a close up photo of your pearls, or just some of them? If you do have natural pearls, as opposed to cultured pearls, they could indeed be quite valuable. You might want to take them to a pearl appraiser, not just a jewelry appraiser, as the latter generally knows little about pearls.

Sharon Wakefield of Boise Idaho, is an pearl appraiser and broker. She is trusted by many who post here. Here is her contact info:
208-362-3938 email: sharon@gem-science.com. she does travel, so if you don't connect with her right away, don't give up!

There may be some better options for you depending on what part of the country you are in, such as GIA labs, etc. Do you feel comfortable telling us approx where you are?

I live in Maryland. I'll work on getting a photo up by tomorrow (12/30/08). Thanks for all your help so far.

Hi PearlGearl,

I second Pattye's idea of having a reputable pearl appraiser determine what type of pearls you have as well as possibly valuate them. After which time you will certainly be in a better position to sell them having all of the facts.

If the pearls are in fact natural pearls it will probably be worth the up front investment to have them all evaluated as long as they are in decent condition. Keep in mind natural pearls are very rare and as a result can command higher prices from a specialized niche market. There are certainly designers and collectors out there that seek and design with only natural pearls as opposed to cultured pearls.

Looking forward to checking out the pics.

Steve

Since you live in Maryland, my suggestion is to contact Reston Precious Metals, Inc. in Mclean, Va.; (703) 442-6658 and ask for Ms. L. Berger, she is an expert appraiser and the head of the pearl division. In addition, you might want to send a sample of your pearls to the GIA in NYC for testing.

Gail

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I went to a jewelry store today that said they did appraisals. I was nervous and excited because no one has ever looked at my pearls. She laid them all out on the table (I had over 1000). She said they were freshwater but didn't say whether or not they were natural. She then told me that the store would give me about 75 dollars for all of them. I was shocked. I mean I wasn't expecting a fortune but I certainly was expecting more than 75 dollars for over 1000 pearls. She said that because they weren't in a necklace or anything they weren't as valuable. Is this crap or is she right? Bare with me (since I really don't know anything about pearls) but I'm pretty sure they are natural according to my late grandfather. I know it's hard to say since you all haven't seen them (working on getting my camera fixed so I can post one) but what is a reasonable asking price assuming they are natural?

an you put up a close up photo of your pearls, or just some of them? If you do have natural pearls, as opposed to cultured pearls, they could indeed be quite valuable. You might want to take them to a pearl appraiser, not just a jewelry appraiser, as the latter generally knows little about pearls.
I'll refer you to Pattye's remark which is fully accurate.

All of this advice is excellent, and Gail (pearlgully) knows her stuff and her referral will top-notch. Pictures would give some of the experts here at least a start at what they might be. You might keep in mind that some people refer to pearls as natural when what they really mean is natural color, and your grandfather may have meant that. Be patient and do this right so you will be satisfied that the outcome is accurate, no matter what it is, so that you are secure that you decisions about the pearls are the right ones.
Keep us posted!

For a 1000-pearl lot of unmatched, off-round pearls, the value would not be very high, unfortunately. If the pearls are natural freshwater, they would likely be US fresh, which tend to have more unusual shapes like wings or sticks. If the pearls are Rice Krispie-looking or semi-baroque, they are almost certainly cultured.

What you really need, if you believe they are natural, is a lab cert (GIA or EGL) stating that they are natural. Without this, they are assumed cultured and not of much value, unfortunately.

here are just a few of them... not the best quality of picture but it was the best I could do.

105_0071.jpg

105_0072.jpg

105_0074.jpg

They do indeed look like the early Chinese cultured freshwater pearls.. pretty, but not valuable, sadly.

They are the larger ones. If by drilled you mean do they have holes then yes they're drilled. They are about 30 mm in diameter give or take a mm or two.

Again... new at this. How am I supposed to measure them? I took a string and wrapped it around the widest part then measured that. I guess if I went from end to end they are about 14 mm. ummm at 90 degrees to the drill hole they are about 6 mm. I didn't mean to shock you all with the 30 mm measure... ooops

Ah...diameter. No wonder!
Did everyone else hear the sound of my and Jeremy's jaw's dropping simultaneously albeit at a great distance apart?

Back