Pearls make buying clothes easy!

Sea Urchin

I usually find clothes shopping annoying but jewelry shopping, now that is completely different. :) I just bought winter clothes for my pearls instead of myself and then it was easy. Solid black. Solid gray. I think it looks great with a long strand the same color and then I'm done. Woo hoo! Anybody else like that look, basic same-colored clothes and accessories with matching pearls?

Last edited:
I totally agree with you. :)
basic colored clothes in gray, black, white and nude are perfect for the winter season.
I love to wear my pearls ,they highlight every outfit.

oh definitely! fabulous jewellery makes dressing up so much easier. It also brings out the uber feminine side of a woman. The type of jewellery one wears definitely speaks of the personality of that person!

:D

I went black this fall. I own two black dresses, one pair of black pants and some black long sleeved t-shirts. That's it. For color I have a small collection of second-hand cashmere cardigans from eBay. My jewelry never looked better and it's so much easier not to get tempted to buy more clothes. I just need to ask myself if the piece in question is black. If not - then I don't need it and I can spend my money on pearls instead :)

- Karin

You are so so clear, Karin! When you have that kind of fashion clarity, you can really simplify. I admire that! Kind of like Danish furniture, eh? I have loved Danish furniture since the 1950's or so, for its simplicity and clarity of purpose. What kind of shoes? More than one pair? You just became my fashion guru....LOL xox

Yes, agree with you all, black is a super backdrop for our pearls/jewelry! Most of my wardrobe is now black, maybe 5% other solid colors. Makes for easy dressing. Hopefully the jewelry is interesting enough that the outfit is scarcely memorable.

Karin & Sea Urchin & Rach, I love your ideas, too! Wish I had figured out the black thing when I was much younger. Have you noticed just how many shades of black there are? :)

Being known as the woman who always wears pearls is a good thing!

Hisano, how perfect to have a dedicated workspace with a cool history.

p.s. You all are sooooo much more fashion savvy than I was at your age~

Last edited:
You are so so clear, Karin! When you have that kind of fashion clarity, you can really simplify. I admire that! Kind of like Danish furniture, eh? I have loved Danish furniture since the 1950's or so, for its simplicity and clarity of purpose. What kind of shoes? More than one pair? You just became my fashion guru....LOL xox

:D
Some years ago I decided to own only the clothes that would fit in my drawers. A little before that I decided that pants were uncomfortable and began to wear only dresses. Going black (after a spring of homemade colorful satin dresses) allowed me to limit my wardrobe even further. The two black dresses are identical, H&M, and the pants are black cargo pants with a string. I like to wear beaded vintage cardigans with them - of which I own three that I am forever reparing :)

I do love shoes but I have very sensitive feet so I spend a lot of time trying shoes when the seasons change but don't buy many. Not a single new pair for the fall season, and I love the coats I have owned for three (Desigual) and four years (black custom made shearling, stylish though not that warm, so I layer with a black half circle cloak when cold). But I have bought kasumi-look-alikes, corals for two bracelets and natural blue akoyas :) I also redesigned the FW klonks and the pondslimes to suit me better, and all the pieces look amazing with the clothes. I guess I play dress-up every day :D

Hisano, I love the idea of your desk.

Neutrals are extremely useful, but geez, they're soooooo NEUTRAL!!!! My family went to Portugal one year and I was the only person in a crowded restaurant who didn't have a black coat, who was wearing any color at all. Literally, people - No color. All Black, and it wasn't a funeral dinner, either, or a formal dinner. Deeeeepressing.

Just like the USoA Supreme Court, I can represent the Minority Opinion, :)

(BUT, guilty admission - it is so easy to dress neutral, and I do it too, when I'm in a hurry or at a loss)

Last edited:
I think, Lisa, it depends on what you do with the black. If you have great jewelry it is admittedly one of the best ways to draw attention to what you're wearing. Think Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's :)

- Karin

Honestly, I get all that. I don't mean to offend anyone either, or be stupid. There are ways to look at things, micro and macro.

One person in black, up close - you can see fabric texture, sheen, etc and jewelry. Fair enough? Now fill a whole room with folks dressed in black, and what do you see from across the room? A room full of black.

Still, there's room for everybody, right? Nobody's stuck in concrete, not everyone reacts viscerally to color or lack thereof, and I know neutrals can be accented or juiced up with color. Plus I don't mind​ being in the minority, it's ok :), its fun and fashions cycle, but the Little Black Dress is forever (except, darn it, not so much forever when we 'age' past the little size 6! My closet has too many sizes in it, grumble )

Last edited:
Hi Lisa,

I do agree with you! and I am quite the minority. I'm not too big a fan of very dark colours, though I admit that quite a lot of times for meetings I do end up wearing them because I haven't quite made up my mind what a jewellery wholesaler/retailer is supposed to wear! Personally I love pastel colour dresses, lace, and really, all things girly. I tend to keep my accessories simple, and if I am going to wear a bold piece of jewellery, I just make sure that I wear solid colours, but it does not have to be black!

Ha Ha - a room full of black -- I'd disappear! Well, except for the pearls... :cool:

With that glowing smile of yours you will never disappear Blaire!!
I love dressing in black... my recent splurge was a Helmut Lang black dress that I bought on sale and I wore it with bunch of my pearls at the Hong Kong show...I love wearing black because I can look somewhat distinguished! (especially when I need to look like I know what I'm doing when I'm at the HK shows :p...but once in a while I love being colorful:)

Oh, this is fun! Wish we had a pic of you in the Helmut Lang.

Speaking of fun - One of my all-time favorite scenes in a movie is in Runaway Bride. (Starring Julia Roberts and some guy)I believe one of the guests asks which side for the groom (he's from New York City), and the response was like "Guess!" The scene then cuts to the inside of the church where one side of the aisle the guests are dressed colorfully and on the other side everyone is ultra-sophisticated in black.

One of the best moments ever in a really good film.

Of course, now I want to ask "Why do men always look sexy in a black, or very dark, well-tailored suit?" Oh well, the mind wanders...

Last edited:
I think that if every one around me was always wearing black, I would have gotten pink dresses :-D That would accomodate most of my pearls as well...

- Karin

Ha ha ha hahahaha...giggle.....Too funny, Karin!

We were too busy buying pearls and I don't have any picture of the dress but I wore these Fireball earrings with it and got lots of compliments:) photo.jpg
This is my favorite pair of pearl earrings right now.

Amazing colors on those pearls, Hisano. I can see how they would really stadn out against black!

- Karin

Ooooooh, absolutely luscious! 'Dollup of whipped cream, please!'

Back