Pearl Grading Lab Course?

MelT

I have finished my online course for the graduate pearl diploma. My dilemma is putting the Lab class on hold as I am going to Hongkong on Sept for the Trade show. I live in Sydney and have to travel to Hongkong GIA or to Singapore to do my lab class. I am wondering if going to the trade show will give me enough experience this year. I am a bit guilty spending money on the whole lab class trip ,... thinking I could use that money to buy more pearls in the Trade Show :)

You would learn so much more at the show than at the class. Things may be better now, but when I attended the grading class a decade ago, the instructor knew very little about the subject. The show is a true pearl education.

MelT,

Congrats on finishing your online course!

Is there a chance the Pearl Grading course will be given somewhere in Australia in the coming year or so? I agree with Jeremy that the show will be more valuable. Unless this part of the course has changed greatly, it is mostly discussion, looking at sample pearls and not a pass/fail with a test.

You'll learn more by going to the show and experiencing the pearls...unless you have no confidence whatsoever in your pearl abilities and need the paperwork to boost you. The show is about like being thrown into a swimming pool. I know my jaw really did drop like a cartoon when I walked into the pearl hall the first time. There'll always be someone from the forum to help you find your feet though, I'm sure.

I decidely agree with Jeremy, Pattye, and Wendy. Travelled all the way from Tel Aviv to NYC for the lab and was very disappointed (even though New York is always fun). However, I had no choice since the lab was a requirement for the GIA Pearl Certificate.
I complained then. I don't know if they made any changes, but it might be a good idea to bring this to their attention again.

Thank you for your great advice. Although I have finished the course I immediately realized I still need to learn a lot more, will start collecting pearl resource materials and read more, as well as start my AJP as soon as I can :) .... I have called the Gemological Association of Australia before I began the course to ask if they offer a pearl course and they told me that they cannot find someone who knows enough to teach.

Wendy I think it is not just my jaw that will fall, I will probably freeze :D
When I visited Greenhills market, I was wondering around half zombied through the narrow halls and getting so confused and overwhelmed that my husband had to be the voice of reason and sense of reality snapping me out of my state... at the end he had to chose which one he liked for me and helped me chose one before we miss our dinner booking...:)

Re Australia Gem assoc
That's absurd. Plenty of pearl professionals who could deliver, including several who are members of this forum

With pearls, there is little better than getting stuck in (Bring a list though and try to stick to it just a bit)

MeIT, I've just finished my course too...and am going to leave the lab grading course for now. For me, I don't feel it's something I would use very often in my work. Definitely seeing, touching a wide variety of pearls is the way to go...now we know what to look out for ;-)

I'm in the same boat, too. I'm going to Tucson to see as many pearls as I can. Anyone else going there?

Re Australia Gem assoc
That's absurd. Plenty of pearl professionals who could deliver, including several who are members of this forum

With pearls, there is little better than getting stuck in (Bring a list though and try to stick to it just a bit)

They have a pearl course on the list of their courses but they are no longer offering it. Maybe when she said they couldn't find someone to teach, they mean a local person here in Australia.....
Yes, a list is a must!

I'm in the same boat, too. I'm going to Tucson to see as many pearls as I can. Anyone else going there?

There is a Tuscon thread :) Usually PG people attend the Starck lecture then go for a pearl walk. There's also a dinner planned. I've never been - only dreaming :)

- Karin

Thank you for your great advice. Although I have finished the course I immediately realized I still need to learn a lot more, will start collecting pearl resource materials and read more, as well as start my AJP as soon as I can :) .... I have called the Gemological Association of Australia before I began the course to ask if they offer a pearl course and they told me that they cannot find someone who knows enough to teach.

Hi MelT - I am in Sydney too, and did the lab component of the GIA course in Hong Kong a few years ago. I think by the end of the first hour, the instructor was referring all questions from the group to me - they honestly didn't know much about pearls at all! The GAA is responsible for a piece in Jeweller Magazine here mid last year which perpetuated the belief that all freshwaters are ringed, chalky, misshapen and treated - so much for the collective knowledge there! It is disconcerting to say the least! PM me if you would like to meet at some point!

Nerida.

Last edited:
Thanks Nerida...
I feel the same about the lack of knowledge about pearls here...Got my pearl earrings valuated for $2000 and only said as "cultured pearls"....I was disgusted....the earrings are 11.5-12 mm, AA quality but I think one is Freshwater and one might be a south sea (stress on the might) and they are only set on plated white gold....which disintegrated as soon as I wore them... I would not value them more than $100....

The GAA might require that the person has one of their diplomas before teaching, or have other requirements, like being on their staff, but gave the easier to explain excuse.

Nerida would be awesome! :)

How much does the lab day cost?
My problem with courses run by some businesses (after many years in higher education) is that people don't fail them. A course is not really valid if it is pitched or organised so no-one ever fails...because then the only real criteria for the qualification is the ability to pay the fees.
It's not good that the instructor was passing questions to Nerida when she did the day (Nerida is incredibly knowledgeable about pearls). The tutor/instructor/facilitator should know their stuff.
Blaire, if an organisation requires you to have their diploma as against some other which seems to be at the same level then it means that they have not any equivalence and in education terms are pretty much worthless.
And any organisation supplying education has a duty in ethics to provide the best tutors they can, not just someone who works for them who's turn it is.

I thought the lab day was pretty woeful. It wasn't really the instructor's fault, either - this was the accepted level of knowledge, obviously. That said, I did learn a little - mostly about colour grading of Tahitians... can't say its something I have used since, but it was interesting.
The GAA here hasn't run their listed pearl course for some time, to my knowledge. I haven't really investigated it for quite a while now. I have written for a couple of trade magazines (as I said in another thread) but the general knowledge base of retail jewelers in Australia regarding pearls is pretty low. I speak with jewelers every day of the week, and I haven't had one yet who seemed to be truly up to date in their knowledge. They know a whole lot more than I do about manufacturing processes etc, and I always feel like a naif in that regard! I figure it is the obligation of anyone who is in the industry and who does have some knowledge, to share it - that's how I learn about other gems!

The Lab class is really not practical for us who live outside the US .The GIA Hong Kong charges $500 fee for the class, plus we have to pay for air fare and as well as accommodation for at least 4 days because the Hong Kong schedule is on a Wed. and Friday from 6-9pm....

Back