Pearl Farm in the Sea of Cortez

Oh yeah, doesn?t someone here have an abalone pearl called La Panda? Off topic, sorry.
Really, the pearl is very nice and Knotty deserved the honor as the instigator in its acquisition. The question is what sticks. La Panda would appear to have legs?

Back to those marvelous Sea of Cortez creations!

Sorry, I honestly didn?t know that it was Knotty Panda that named it. There?s quite a few members with the word "Panda" in their name, and I wasn?t sure so would rather not guess and be wrong.

That true blue is truly amazing - I want it real, real bad! Ah, envy...

That true blue is truly amazing - I want it real, real bad! Ah, envy...

I've seen a lot of beautiful things on this site, but this last batch from Douglas has to be making everyone dream of owning some of his pearls.

I'm planning on buying a lottery ticket tomorrow! ;)

Cheers,
Blaire

Yes, Blaire, I think we are all exhibiting signs of pearl lust/greed/envy (only4 other sins, right?)...

I'm there! I'm not sure I have felt the pangs quite this badly before!

Hello Friends:

Just wanted to let you all know that we started a "Cortez Pearl Blog-site" at http://www.perlas.com.mx/blog/ (in english, but there is also a version in Spanish at: http://www.perlasshop.com/blog).

Will try to make it different from other nacreous-blogs so I hope you give it a try. Hope you like it...but if you don't, please do indulge in some "oral maeshori" techniques with the largest pearls you can find. Ok...this last part was a joke (please laugh) ;)

Anyway, yet another hurricane is heading this way ("Jimena", was rated as level 5 a few hours ago) so I have to go back to the farm and secure as much as possible.

Gotta go!!!:eek:

Just wanted to let you all know that we started a "Cortez Pearl Blog-site" at http://www.perlas.com.mx/blog/ (in english, but there is also a version in Spanish at: http://www.perlasshop.com/blog).

Anyway, yet another hurricane is heading this way ("Jimena", was rated as level 5 a few hours ago) so I have to go back to the farm and secure as much as possible.

Hi Douglas!
Great story about ”Virgen de la Soledad” and the pearl.

I just heard that "Jimena" was rated 3.

OMG!! Those pearls are really, really gorgeous!!! Fabulous, oh how I wish I could run down there and buy all of them....wish I could! I'm sure I"ll dream of them, esp., that blue lovely! and the Reds! I really love them.

My "Hurricane Jimena" Report:
Originally a scale 5 hurricane, eventually lashed the coast of Baja California Sur (La Paz & Cabo area), went upwards to Cd. Constituci?n (near Loreto)...but everyone was tracking the "Eye" and everyone forgot about THE BODY.
The body was making its way towards us, Sonora, and Guaymas took the brunt of the attack: "Jimena's" arms, legs and torso fell on us like a demon. We received 711 mm of water in only 36 hours of non-stop rain (our yearly average for the Sonoran desert is of 180 mm). Needless to say...our city has been battered, our municipal services destroyed and leveled: no drinking water, no sewage, electrical services still down in 30%, phone & internet is erratic.
Look at these pictures (courtesy of Goggle Earth) of how Jimena's eye was in Baja, but how the cloud coverage was in Sonora. One thing is for sure: you can't ever trust a hurricane.

The farm, our Pearl Farm, survived with only minimal damage but our main office's building is still without electricity and water.

The damage to our town was horrendous...this link will take you trough a "Tour of Destruction"...mind you all, I did not take the photos nor made the selection, but some photos are quite interesting: photos of fishing vessels on the street, yachts on a boulevard, bridges torn down... http://www.elvigia.com.mx/Galerias/tormenta/index.html

Anyway, this latest event is -for many- the equivalent of a "cherry on top". Jeez! It has been a very bad year...

Attachments

• Huracan Jimena2 [320x200].JPG
    Huracan Jimena2 [320x200].JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Huracan Jimena [320x200].JPG
    Huracan Jimena [320x200].JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 48
Looks hard to live in Douglas - but my grandmother used to say - health is health and everything else is just money.
You have not mentioned injuries or deaths so I am hoping for none - in which case the builders in town will be happy and busy bunnies

No real problems with friends nor relatives, but the overall damage to the city was the following:
4 dead
9 missing
200,000 people suffered house damage
50,000 people were sheltered until yesterday
5,000 still in shelters today
Over 50 million pesos in damage to basic infrastructure (water, roads, sewage, electricity, etc.)...something like $4 million dollars... is needed just for basic repairs.
It will take between 15-25 days to regain water distribution and 30-40 for sewage lines.

Douglas - thinking of you and your friends as lives and community are slowly rebuilt.

What terrible devastation, and so tragic to hear that lives were lost. I'm so glad that you and your friends and family are safe, Douglas, and that the farm wasn't severely damaged. Wishing you and your city a speedy recovery!

Sheri

Back