Pearl Farm in the Sea of Cortez

D

dmclaren

I have a very nice photo of one of the Mexican Pearl farms in the Gulf of California. They are growing some 200,000 Rainbow Lipped Pearl Oysters there in Bacochibampo Bay...nice spot next to an American-Canadian wintering hot-spot. Close to the border, only about a 4 hour drive from the US-Arizona border.

Attachments

• Bacobay.jpg
    Bacobay.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 47
Sign me up!!!!, The Pictures are Georgous!!!!! ;)

Ashby

Pearl Harvest 2005- Gulf of California

I will attend a Pearl harvest this week. Hope to catch the action on film and photography as well.

If someone is interested I might post some pictures. :)

My apologies...it took me longer to post the photos than I had expected. Here I have quite a selection of the newest batch of Sea of Cortez Pearls.

This photo shows Mrs. Enrique Arizmendi and Manuel Nava, founders & owners, inspecting their Rainbow Lipped Pearl Oysters for Pearls. Next to them, some of their Yaqui Indian workforce.

Attachments

• Nava EAC cosecha.jpg
    Nava EAC cosecha.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 51
More Harvest

More Harvest

This photo shows the harvest size (4 years of age) for a Rainbow-Lipped Oyster.

Attachments

• Ostra 4.jpg
    Ostra 4.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 58
Inside a Rainbow-Lip Oyster

Inside a Rainbow-Lip Oyster

This is the internal anatomy of the Rainbow-Lip Oyster. Notice the large abductor muscle and the very strong thread-like bissus. Never seen another oyster species with such a thick bissus before.

According to the farmers, the pearls are lighter colored this year.

Attachments

• MVC-044F.JPG
    MVC-044F.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 55
Finally: Pearls

Finally: Pearls

A handful of the most simetrical pearls in the lot. This is a photo taken under direct sunlight. The pearls still have a protein residue, so they look dull.

Attachments

• Cosechita.jpg
    Cosechita.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 57
Pearls under indirect sunlight

Pearls under indirect sunlight

The same pearls that I had in my hand on the previous photo, with indirect natural sunlight.

That is all...had some problems with the exposure rate of my camera and I ruined most of the photos I took. Better luck next year I guess.

Hope some of you found the photos interesting.

Saludos,

Diego Moreno

Attachments

• cosechita2.jpg
    cosechita2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 50
Great pictures! I think these pearls would make great designer pieces because they are quite unique.

Thanks so much for those pictures. Please keep posting all you can!

I think it is worth mentioning that the Yaqui are among the best pearls divers in the world with a long history of association with the pearl indusry in the Sea of Cortez- going back long before the European arrival. I am :D so glad to see this industry reviving in Mexcio!

How did you get to see the farms? Are they still doing tours? I would really love to visit that farm. I live just north of the border.

Last edited:
unique Designer Pieces

unique Designer Pieces

They are more than suitable for unique designer-style jewelry, but their only con is that they are still expensive. And considering that this year the production will barely be of 3 Kilos (a Hurricane destroyed about 50% of the Pearl Farm in Bacochibampo) these can indeed be considered the World's Rarest Pearls, maybe even the World's Rarest Gem (I would have to check on this...an answer anyone?).

I have this 18K white gold ring with 1 ct of diamonds, the central piece is a Round, Gem quality Sea of Cortez Pearl (12 mm). Quite a stunner...but most people down here cannot afford it.

Saludos

Diego Moreno
Perlas Únicas

Attachments

• Ezra.JPG
    Ezra.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 52
About Yaqui Indians & Mexican Pearls

About Yaqui Indians & Mexican Pearls

Yes. Yaqui indians were considered the best and hardiest of Pearl Divers in Mexico. Quite a unique race. Now they are the main workforce in the modern Mexican Pearl Culture. I guess that it is a match made to stand the test of time: the Pearl and the Yaqui.

At least 3 of the Yaquis have been trained to seed mabe implants. More will follow, I guess.

The Guaymas pearl farm still offers Guided Tours. So it is a matter of arriving there. The main problem now is the heat! They are doing about 117 F!!! (45 Celsius) and it will be much worse later in the summer. Better visit in fall-time, winter. Lots of different activities between October and June. They don't shun visitors. The farm is only about a 5 hour drive from Tucson, AZ.

The La Paz pearl farm is somewhat remote, you better have a guide to get you there and it anything but fancy. A small open-mouth estuary, with floats on the surface. Not much to see. You can visit, but first have to call the owner. I plan on visiting next September.

I am very interested in the future growth of the Mexican pearl industry. As long as there aren't any repeated misfortunes in this industry, I believe this industry will thrive. The allure is in the uniqueness and color which are just gorgeous. I am actually planning a trip to La Paz, so this would be a great opportunity for me to visit this farm.

I Will Love To Be There

I Will Love To Be There

dmclaren said:
I have a very nice photo of one of the Mexican Pearl farms in the Gulf of California. They are growing some 200,000 Rainbow Lipped Pearl Oysters there in Bacochibampo Bay...nice spot next to an American-Canadian wintering hot-spot. Close to the border, only about a 4 hour drive from the US-Arizona border.
:) GOOD FOR YOU
LOVELY PICTURE OF A BEAUTIFUL PLACE
WHEN WILL BE THE BEST TIME TO BE THERE ?

Harvest Time and Recent News

Harvest Time and Recent News

Hi Flora,

Best time of the Year to Visit is usually between October and May, since temperatures range between 10 to 28 degrees Celsius, from July to September we are usually in the high 40's (Celsius) up to 50 Celsius! (around 110 Farenheit) with high humidity (50%).

BTW, Diego Moreno used to be affiliated to our company because of the Pearl Farm we had begun to develop in Cozumel...but the farm (and everything else for that matter) was destroyed by Hurricane "Wilma" (2005). He no longer works with us and may not even participate in this forum... Nice chap, good friend, kind heart.

Harvest Time will take place soon enough. I will keep the forum posted. Also, the website is under remodelation...I am more valuable as a Pearl Farmer than as Website Manager. For all of those that visited our (my) website over the years: Thank You! I hope it was useful or educational. The new website will have a sleeker -modern- interface...I hope all our visitors will like it even better.

The change will take place in about 3 more months...no later than August. So please visit us at: http://www.perlas.com.mx/

Douglas McLaurin
Perlas del Mar de Cortez
Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico

Sea of Cortez Pearls 2006 Harvest is Out!

Sea of Cortez Pearls 2006 Harvest is Out!

Hello to all!
I am quite happy to be back in our forum. Pearl harvest season has been good to us, with larger, rounder, better cultured pearls...as well as many natural pearls (sorry: all sold out). The colors in the pearls are stunning, their natural luster superior to those of the 2005 harvest.
We've been extra busy this year, trying to build up our "defenses" to this year's hurricane season...so I apologize in the delay.

Hope you enjoy the photos...BTW, I've included a link in our webpage (perlas.com.mx) inside "Recent News and Events"...it is a small video where we are actually harvesting an incredibly beautiful "flame" colored NATURAL pearl. The pearl measured some 9mm, button shaped...already has an owner.

Hasta la Vista!

Attachments

• Pearls Harvest 2006 colorful BAR small3.jpg
    Pearls Harvest 2006 colorful BAR small3.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 46
  • Pearls Harvest 2006 Small1.jpg
    Pearls Harvest 2006 Small1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Pearls Harvest 2006 BigSB small4.jpg
    Pearls Harvest 2006 BigSB small4.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 48
Love the Pics!

Love the Pics!

Hi Douglas,

I absolutely Love the pics!

Ash

great work Douglas, the colors on the those pearls are amazing! I can't wait for these to go mainstream.

Back