Pearl earrings online vs store

Martini

My girlfriend needs pearl earrings for her mother's birthday (July 31st). She would like to spend under $1000. We went to a jewelry store today and she kinda likes the earrings in the pics below, but she would rather have them in yellow gold.

What do you guys think of the two pairs we found in the store today? The tanner looking pair are $800 and the whiter looking pair are $850.Can you tell by looking if those are good prices? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 37
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 32
Are the settings platinum with diamonds? The pearls appear to be freshwater buttons. If you're looking for value, this isn't it, unless there is something about the settings I can't see. Buttons typically retail under $100 and can be purchased for a lot less than that online - as little as a few dollars a pair. They are priced at high-end retail.

They are white 18k gold and no diamonds. Thank you so much for the info, guys. My girlfriend has already found something she likes on Pearl Paradise for 300 and change. She is going to call them and ask if they have a matching pendant.

They are white 18k gold and no diamonds. Thank you so much for the info, guys. My girlfriend has already found something she likes on Pearl Paradise for 300 and change. She is going to call them and ask if they have a matching pendant.

Great news! Please come back and post her photo wearing the pearls, or an ear-shot and a neck-shot if she is shy. :)

What color metal does she prefer generally?

Will she want the metal color to coordinate with a necklace?

I think they both look nice. I have some pearls set in white gold, others in yellow.

There's a pendant in the second link. Her mother has pieces in both white and yellow. We're just looking to see what most people think goes better with white pearls.

I love them both, so I'm not much help. I wear either, depending on the rings I want to match. By the way, she has great taste in the design! :)

Thanks, folks. She's npw also considering the rose gold. She's pushing the button tomorrow.

Martini, what a unique and beautiful choice! You really can't go wrong with any of the gold colors, but I'm partial to the rose gold too ... and that might be a nice change. Have fun with your choices!

That's a beautiful setting! As far as gold color, that is a personal preference. Does she have other pearl jewelry and if so, what color are the settings? You may want to get a color she doesnt' already have. Does she look better in yellow, rose, or white gold, and what color does she wear the most? Is there a special occasion she wanted the earrings for? Perhaps these questions will help you narrow your choices.

I'm glad you chose not to go with your first choices. When you compare a good quality pearl to one that is just average, the differences are very easy to see.

Back