New Freshwaters

Pearlgully

A few days ago, I received this email from Jack Lynch (Sea Hunt). I spoke with him and he's going to send me more information which I'll post. Those of you going to Tucson can see these in person.

"These are a new type of freshwater pearl on the market that I will be featuring in Tucson this year. They are large (13 to 20mm) and very beautiful. Pictures below. I will be at the AGTA show, Tucson Convention Center in a new booth location, #422. I hope to see you there. I am working with the GIA pearl lab in Thailand and Dr.
Elisabeth Strack, of Germany, on an article for Gems & Gemology about this new method of cultivation. Here are the beauties...."

Attachments

• P1000302-1.JPG
    P1000302-1.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 57
  • P1000298-1.JPG
    P1000298-1.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 65
I am working with the GIA pearl lab in Thailand and Dr. Elisabeth Strack, of Germany, on an article for Gems & Gemology about this new method of cultivation. Here are the beauties...."

Beauties indeed! Can you give us a hint?

Beauties indeed! Can you give us a hint?

I just spoke to Jack. Unfortunately, he's not able to write up anything now because he's so busy getting ready for the Tucson show but he did fill me in via the phone. He said,"The mollusks are nucleated with muck". That's right....... "muck" as in dirt..... I kid you not! By the time the pearl is harvested, the "muck" has dissolved leaving a hollow center. Amazing technology..... what will the Chinese think of next! Because of that hollow center, drilling those pearls can be quite messy and stinky (a lot of brown liquid). He told me the nacre is very thick.

He sent a few to the GIA in Thailand for testing and I believe he said that Nick Sturman is writing an article about them.

Gail

Last edited:
I am in AWE! Talk about edgy! I love Jack's pearls. They had a purple freshwater-I mean saturated purple, necklace I've never forgotten.

Thanks for sharing, Gail. They are so beautiful!!! I'd love to see them in person...nah... I want a strand. :)

The paper will also be very exciting. I am looking forward to reading it. These pearls with their baroque shapes are very lovable- polar opposite of the tame white pearl necklace.

Now THAT's what I'm talking about! Can't wait to learn more. Thank you for sharing these stunning photos with us!

Ma-donna! And no web site for Sea Hunt. How I wish an online retailer offered this.

Is this kind of pearl named yet? Any suggestions?
(Still getting over 'pondslime.') There must be a romantic name for them, like sugared almond, or fairy pearls. For heavens sake, dont mention the muck, or the smell. They are too ethereal!

I am in Asia now and I saw some strands of those yesterday. I don't think they were as large as described here, but they were very interesting. I passed on them yesterday because only about a dozen strands were available, but I may go back today and pick up a few.

Oh, Jeremy, I hope you do pick some up!

So, all you lucky "mucky" ducks :D going to Tucson...... make sure you stop by Jack's booth on your pearl walk to see these pearls in person and please take lots of pictures to post for the rest of us.

Gail

The colors are gorgeous! I would love to have a few of those to make a tin cup.

Back