Natural Color, Deep Gold, High Luster, South Sea Pearls from Pearl Paradise

Alex

There is a bit of a story to these pearls…

I first asked Jeremy if he could source a pair, back in January 2012. The first ‘nearly pair’ appeared fairly quickly after that, but they were not quite ‘deep’ enough.

Another pair appeared, but still not quite right – then Jeremy took the search out on his travels – Vietnam, Asia, Hong-Kong, and Japan

On we went, looking and waiting. There were a couple of moments when it seemed the pearls had been found – but they turned out to be colour-treated

Then one of Jeremy’s SSP suppliers said they would try and help. We were in September now. We were looking for 11-12mm

Eventually, ‘The Pair’ appeared at 10.8mm. There was a second pair at 12.2mm, but again, they were not quite ‘deep’ enough

It was October now, and the Xmas clock was ticking, so having waited 9 months, we took the plunge at 10.8mm

Then came the settings – had wanted emeralds from the beginning, but had not given much thought to it, as I thought it would be easy…..

There were many available settings with diamonds - but with emeralds……. noooo

Spent ages on the Kailis and Stuller websites, and elsewhere, but still noooo

November now, and back to the PP range. Jeremy suggested asking Takayas Mizuno to help (he is the one who made Hisano’s ring)

He started with ‘Allure’ – taking the diamonds out, and trying to re-set with emeralds, but the stones and setting were too small – it couldn’t be done

We looked at ‘Eternal’, but they didn’t seem right

So we tried again with ‘Rapture’. This time it was possible, and Taka used round cut (diamond) emeralds, so they sparkle a bit more than usual

Taka did a fantastic job – the top plane of the stones is entirely level, despite the cradles underneath having additional capacity as you work your way back up the setting. The re-set prongs are also meticulous, despite the expected variances caused by re-working soft metal on such a small scale

We were in December now, and it was back to Jeremy to drill the pearls and set them, and then on to Chenai who set-up the fastest Fed-Ex transit I’ve ever seen from LA to London, despite her being buried under the PP Xmas rush

When I first saw the pearls in person, I was speechless – I’d never seen Gold South Seas in ‘the flesh’ before, and can see now why they are so sought after – they almost look too good to be true, as if they are faux - their natural colour is absolutely extraordinary, and the luster is out of this world

One of the pearls is ever so slightly darker then the other, although you can hardly see it with the naked eye. But I kind of like this as it shows them to be truly unique organic gems – no two ever quite 100% the same. This same very slight difference is also there on BV’s Sea of Cortez and Kamoka pairs

Anyway, the story ends happily, as they made it under the tree with about a week to go – having been a year in progress

There was a brief ‘dog-house moment’ when BV opened them, as we had made a pact this year, re pressies, and she thought she was getting soap, but I think all is forgiven now :)

She absolutely loves them, and they have already have had several outings. There has been some murmurings in the pearl drawer, with some pearly noses being put out of joint, but I think an ‘agreement’ has now been reached with the Sea of Cortez, and the Kamokas…….

I was going to wait until the spring, when the light changes and the garden comes back to life, to take some picis and post them, but we had some extraordinary late afternoon winter sun the other weekend, so I went out and took some picis – and here they are. They are all taken outside in shade, with a couple taken using flecked unshaded light

Thanks again, Jeremy, Taka, and Chenai

Attachments

• 0801 a.jpg
    0801 a.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 0801 b.jpg
    0801 b.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 0818.jpg
    0818.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 0819.jpg
    0819.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 0829 a.jpg
    0829 a.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 46
  • 0829 b.jpg
    0829 b.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 52
  • 0829 c.jpg
    0829 c.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
and here are a few more, taken a bit closer-up

Attachments

• 0861 a.jpg
    0861 a.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 0861 b.jpg
    0861 b.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 0861 c.jpg
    0861 c.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 0864 a.jpg
    0864 a.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 0864 b.jpg
    0864 b.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 0864 c.jpg
    0864 c.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 0864 d.jpg
    0864 d.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 55
here are some proper PP pictures of the pearls

Attachments

• PP 1.jpg
    PP 1.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 48
  • PP 2.jpg
    PP 2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 48
and here is one taken of just the setting, whilst Taka was working on it

Attachments

• PP 3.jpg
    PP 3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 43
Very nice!

Not something I can wear as yellow does not suit me, however, they are lush!

Thanks for the eye-candy!

DK :)

Sure doesn't look like soap to me... :D I'm guessing BV didn't mind too much :)

Funny, I got emeralds too for Christmas - only without pearls so they don't belong here.

- Karin

Lovely! I love the pairing of emeralds with the deep gold -- they look like deep yellow-orange pears...

Gorgeous golden pearls! They're well worth the wait I think :)

Lately it's also been kinda hard for me to get deep golden pearls, especially since gold comes in so many shades so I can understand the difficulty to find the perfect pair. The pairing with emerald is lovely too, I agree that they look like orange pears :)

Congrats Alex on these beautiful custom Dark Golden SS earrings. I bet your wife if thrilled with your selection. Thank you for sharing them with us. I hope you can come to a ruckus and we will see these in person. LillieFuzzySocks

The setting with emeralds is unique and beautiful, one of a kind, but the pearls are perfection. :) Very lucky lady!

Wow Alex! You take fantastic pictures of the fantastic pearls you buy from the fantastic people on this forum.
Glorious!

Stunning pearls and earrings. Those goldens are gorgeous.

Thank you for sharing those beautiful pearls and photos with us. And, may you continue to be inspired to give pearls to BV. I so enjoy your projects.

Alex!
Wow! a whole new subject! I hope you do it again in the proper light!

I have run out of adjectives, so I'll just say, Wow!

Such a romantic story -- what a lucky woman. I like the golden pearls teamed with emeralds which make the pair look unique, yet classic. I'v e never seen pearls that colour before.

Back