Natural Abalone bee brooch

New Zealand Natural Pearl

Hi everybody!
I just realised I have not written here in a long time! But time is flying when you are having fun right? And we had great fun with some interesting pieces which I would like to share with you in this thread! I just have to wait until our customers have confirmed that we can display their handcrafted pieces..but this lady was happy for me to show you her beautiful bee brooch in 18cy yellow gold containing 3 natural abalone pearls (2.7ct total).
A good way to work with is soft wax, that way our end result fits perfectly around our pearls we can be sure it is secure to wear.

bee-brooch-wax-300x225.jpg
finished-gold-bee-brooch-300x272.jpg

What a cool piece of wearable art! Have you done any dragonflies with pearls or gems?

Yes we did a couple of dragonflies and even a squid, using 18ct yellow gold, sapphires, diamonds one 2cm natural abalone free form pearl and stunning Gem quality baroque abalone free form pearls.
dragonfly with abalone 18ctgold.jpg
dragonfly paua and gold.jpg
squid with abalone.jpg
Because natural pearls are so different in shape you have to be creative I guess.. some of our customers call us and ask if they could buy a string of natural abalone pearls... I don't need to tell you that it would be a good investment as well as a big task for us if not impossible to drill and string our free form pearls..so we smile and tell them we have just sold the last one yesterday..
Individual one-off pieces with abalone but also south sea pearls are great to work on, we start with a sketch and work on a design that is wearable and suitable for the pearl.
Have you done any designs for your pearls? I would love to see them!!!

Last edited:
Cute brooch, thanks for sharing!

DK :)

Back