My first time restringing pearls....

CharmedOne

I really wanted to restring the strand of akoyas I purchased from the resale shop but all I had was 8 pound white. I searched and found some but hadn't received it yet, but I really wanted to get it done. So I came up with the bright idea to double the 8, so I had four strands instead of two. It was quite tricky and a pain in the bum but I finally finished it. I saw ways I could have made it easier, some of which I figured out halfway through. But all and all it can out ok. I thought the akoya necklace was 42 inches but I measured it wrong, it was only 32 inches. So in the end the new necklace measures 29 inches. I also made a necklace and a bracelet for my LO's occupational therapist and she really loved it. I really didn't have to knot them because I used the flat pearls (rondelles?) in the last photo. I forgot to get a photo of them but maybe she will wear them on Wednesday and I can take a photo then. Thank you all so much for your help. :) ~d

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 24
  • view from above
    view from above
    23.8 KB · Views: 34
As someone who loves pearls and has never knotted in her life -- I am impressed! If I used emoticons, there would be a line-up of the clappers!

Yes, a standing ovation!!! Looks like you did a wonderful job :)

For a newcomer, you jumped right into the thick of things! They look great. :)

Thank you all so much. I surprised myself, I actually enjoyed doing it and was determined to finish it that night. I thought I was over when I turned my back to answer the phone and realized my 5 year old had gotten ahold of it and was swinging it over his head like a lasso. But once I took a calming breath and I managed to get all the threads untangled. Believe me, I learned a valuable lesson that night. :D

I love it each time someone on this forum learns to knot!!!!! Yea!!!!! It really puts you in a different category, and able to look at old pearls and know what to do! Congratulation on becoming a knotter!!!

Great job for a first attempt!

DK :)

Thank you all! Everyone here is so nice. I really do appreciate all the help and information I have learned on this forum. I think I have a slight pearl addiction :D I have bought so many lately that my husband asked me how many do I needed. LOL As far as my LO goes, for some reason he has taken a liking to the pearls as well. I think he like the way they feel. These are the first ones I have ever owned, so maybe he fascination with them will pass. Sooner than later, I hope!

As someone, "You can never get enough of what you don't need."

There are things we need, and either you do or don't have enough of them. Enough sleep. Enough water. Enough air. Enough food.

We don't need pearls, technically, so we can never have enough of them! ;)

Oh, Marianne, go to the next level, what a great idea!

Charmed, way to go, well done and can I say I'm jealous? What a terrific length to have found!

I must say, I LOVE the way you all think ;) He has always hated pearls for some and I finally decided that that is his issue, not mine. I have always loved pearls. There is nothing else like them to me and I'm hooked now LOL. I wish you could have seen his face when I told him that pearl was his birthstone :p Thank you all for being so nice and helpful. I found some more pearls to bug you all about. I will have to take some photos and post them. Thanks so much again ~d

Back