My First Bead Show Purchases

Daddys Little Pearl

First bead show for me today, and I was literally blinded by the light. So many beads and people and armed with so little knowledge, but I went , I saw, and hopefully I conquered. So here are my photos in sections. First the "cool" stuff: A long large natural color mostly white freshwater stick style pearl the vendor says is new and has not been named yet (at least not to the trade ), I got the last of these as they were very popular , nice group of undyed very large keshi that are a little more lustrous and iridescent than the photos show, I bought the whole hank and people were eyeing me with disgust when I did, and others easily recognizeable. Enjoy and please everyone critique, how did I do. If I bought junk I want to know. No sensitive feelings here,too old to care. Second group to follow.

Daddys Little Pearl

DSCN0118.jpgDSCN0119.jpgIMG 4484DSCN0121.jpgDSCN0122.jpgDSCN0123.jpgDSCN0124.jpgDSCN0125.jpgDSCN0126.jpg

Group two, first a group photo of the very small pearls I bought.Tthen close ups of some saltwater baroque the vendor said were only A grade, everyone else that saw them after I bought them thought they were higher grade; large very white Akoya grade B, definitely low on nacre and almost a little too white for my personal preference, but I am sure I can find a project for these and the price was right, and some freshwater near rounds. I just love the baroques, but I have always been partial to baroque pearls, the second strand of real pearls I ever bought for myself were baroques opera length.

Daddys Little Pearl

DSCN0129.jpgDSCN0130.jpgDSCN0132.jpgDSCN0133.jpgDSCN0134.jpg

Great haul for a first show!!! The stick pearls are called stick pearls and they have been around for at least 7 years, sometimes also center or top drilled and prone to really nice luster.
The ones that were represented as keshi actually have a nucleus implanted (star shaped, coin shaped). The strands of natural colored drops have beautiful luster. Congratulations! The baroque akoyas might not have a very thick coating of nacre, but they are still pretty.

Marianne, I went back to the bead show again today (bet you all knew a new pearl addict would not stay away!), and had a chance to talk at length with the vendor. The photo of what I was calling keshi is a little deceptive, it does make them look like the little pancake shapes that are nucleated, but he said the ones I bought were not and are definitely keshi. They are actually fairly thin and many of them corn flake curved. He did also have the ones that are nucleated. The big long oval looking ones to the left of the keshi in the photo are also deceptive, looking like sticks but they are actually quite fat and also non-nucleated, they have quite a few holes and things going on on some of them, and these are the ones his supplier said are new and have not been named, so they must be different than sticks, which he also had. I will try to do better photos of those two varieties for further observation.
And I have learned a very good lesson at the show as well. this vendor had nearly 100% pearls, all straight from China or Hong Kong, he himself Anerican of Chinese birth, all his pearls mostly B grade on his rounds, some A's, but he knew pearls better than anyone else at the show. He said he quit carrying the higher grades as he does mostly shows and sells to beaders, and they don't want to pay the price for anything above an A if they are stringing to resell, and if they do want the higher grades, he felt they would not buy from him anyway. He had a very good point. So many sellers on ebay and other sites from China have hurt the reputation of the honest good sellers that actually represent their pearls properly. That was why I got a fabulous deal on the Akoya baroques, he said he used to get nearly ten times wat he charged me for them, but now with so many pearls of lower grades being so cheap, no one wants to pay him what they are worth. He said he has lost a lot of money in the past carrying the more expensive pearls. I was impressed with his knowledge, he knew exactly which ones were dyed, which ones were non-nucleated, which ones were natural shades; many other vendors there had much less knowledge about what they were selling. All they knew is they had freshwater pearls and that was that. A friend of mine who has worked for our largest local beading store for many many years knew this dealer well and steered to to him and I was so glad. Will post more photos this evening of round two, probably boring to all the experts on this forum, but it is my "first stash" of pearl beads for stringing so I am feeling a little gleeful (and very broke)

Daddys Little Pearl.

Bead Show round two: just had to have some more keshi, top drilled, in two sizes, much more lustrous than the photos look. Last photo are "peacock" pearls, actually not the real Tahitian ones, bur dyed freshwater rounds, the top group in true peacock colors are actually quite round, grade A, and the lower photo of a more coppery tone Grade B but still quite nice, both approximate 9-9.5 mm. Also bought gemstone beads, but did not show those since they are not pearls. As the show was much quieter, I was able to talk with more vendors and learn a lot more. In and out in two hours, home in time for the football games. Life is good.

Daddys Little Pearl

DSCN0149.jpgDSCN0150.jpgDSCN0151.jpg

DLP, I like your priorities! I have also been loving football season as a time to put together projects while watching the games. (Go Pats!) Lol.

I agree with Marianne, there are some star-shaped-bead-nucleated pearls in pics 3 & 4, and she knows her stuff. You're having fun with them, aren't you, you're a pleasure to read!

In and out in two hours? I'm awestruck.

Back