Just popping in

ksinger3

Hi fellow lowly beaders! I haven't been here in an age, and what I'm posting actually doesn't have pearls in it. I did consider it, but thought it actually might be overkill. I know, hard to believe. Anyway, here is my latest pair of earrings. They're moonstone briolettes, very small ones...maybe 5mm long, with the final earring length at about 1.5 inches. The wire is 26 gauge 14k gold filled, and the earwires are handmade too, out of 20 gauge. The earrings are hanging next to about 120 hand-wrapped, butted, and fused fine silver links I'm currently weaving into a single loop-in-loop chain. I'm at 6 inches of the 18 inches I plan to weave. It's too fun. I'll post it when I get it done.

Attachments

• moonstone_earrings.jpg
    moonstone_earrings.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 34
I have some identical moonstone briolettes that I've had for a couple of years with the intention of making the same type of earrings (the moonstones are from Carloyn Ehret). I just came across them and was thinking "I have the 26 gauge 14K GF wire now - I should go ahead and make the earrings." Eerie, don't you think? Or maybe we all are on the same wavelength from hanging around with each other...

Now I can see the loveliness I've been missing! ;)

Just lovely - I've gazed at moonstones a lot recently and wondered how they might look in earrings like this. This is a fantastic example!

Thanks you guys! I appreciate the kind words. Sometimes when you show stuff like this to non "lowly beaders", they might like it, but being steeped in the department store mentality of not being hand-makers themselves, and just buying the stuff and not understanding how much WORK goes into it, well, their praises just don't measure up to those of people who DO understand. So many of the things here, when they're posted, I think are gorgeous, but the next thought through my mind is, Lord! That person devoted ENORMOUS amounts of time and attention to detail to that piece!" and then I'm even more impressed.

It's been funny, I've recently taken my chainmaking to show to several co-workers. One guy didn't believe I was going to handmake chain. He seemed almost incredulous that people did that. I was like, Ummm....how do you think people got chain BEFORE machines made them? He was just bemused. I am now widely regarded as completely insane. :)

If any of you guys need a new hobby, (HAHAHAHAHHAAA!) this is the book I've been using. It is awesome. "Classical Loop-in-loop Chains & Their Derivatives" by Jean Reist Stark.

And yes, I find myself wearing the moonstones bunches. They seem to go with a lot of things, and I found I like them for their delicacy. I wish the wraps were better, but that's the first time I've worked in 26 gauge and it IS fairly tricky. I also have a crap pair of cutters and desperately need to spring for another pair. My wish lists at RioGrande and OttoFrei are growing at exponential speeds....sigh. Wish my wallet was!

..... this is the book I've been using. It is awesome. "Classical Loop-in-loop Chains & Their Derivatives" by Jean Reist Stark.

Absolutely the best book ever written on the subject; I've been using it for many years. I'm also a little biased since I've had the opportunity to study with J. Stark when she had her school.

You did put a lot of work into them and they really look great. No one inspects them as closely as we do, eh? You must have supreme patience to make chain. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do! ;)

Oh, Karen, your chain work sounds fascinating! I dare not go in another direction right now, as I am dabbling with stamping, pmc, and simple metalwork----but ------------but am greatly looking forward to your photos.

Gail, you are so fortunate to have studied with a master!

Better tools made a big difference for me--take the plunge!

If you are looking for snip type cutters I recommend CK electrical snips - not jewellery tools specifically but they will cut everything from metal wire to thin silk and stay sharp and accurate for years
Indeed I don't use any 'jewellery' tools - very big and clumsy compared to the 70 year old CK electrical pliers which my later father used for electrical work all his life. I have just his two pairs and that is it for everything I do

I do everything with them. That is all I have, the snips, a pair of pointed nose pliers and a pair of slightly blunter ended ones I use sometimes.
These are some modern versions of my very old ones - mine no longer have the fancy handle covers
ebay items 350244947119
in fact, just do a search on 'ck pliers' and drool. the black handle range are the finest quality I understand
Having looked, I might now have to treat myself!
It seems to me that specific jewellery pliers are very cumbersome by comparison

Looping briolettes can be such a challenge. I forget where I learned my method or maybe I made it up. Can't recall. Anyone have a tutorial? I have a short end and a long end coming up from the pointed top of briolette and snip the short end very short hiding it beneath the wraps of the single loop. Am I doing it the hard way?

I really like that little rondelle at the top of the dangle. Kind of finishes the piece rather than having the ear wire and the dangle.

Pearlgully - count me as officially jealous. That book is so incredible, I can only imagine what a wonderful teacher Stark was. Wow.

Knotty - Thank you for noticing. After I got them done, I almost wished I'd done something a bit bigger at the top. But after I've looked at them and worn them, I find I like them too. Actually though, they're not rondelles, they're irridescent delicas.

As for the chain, I'm at 9 inches of what I plan on being an 18 inch necklace, so I hope to be done fairly soon. I will definitely post pics when I'm done. :)

Ksinger:
I was never sure about moonstone. After seeing your earrings maybe I'll make some. Georgeous.
barbie

Back