Husband looking for xmas present for his wife

Siouxchief

Hi all,

My earlier post didnt seem to appear so will try again, maybe its because I had a link in it. Anyway I am looking to buy a pearl necklace for my wife for Christmas. I would just like a single chain of pearls and I would like white ones a bit like this photo

http://media.tiffany.com/is/image/Tiffany/28828292_918565_SV_1?$EngagementItemXL$&defaultImage=NoImageAvailable&&

to give you an idea of size relative to a real person so not huge things as my wife is a petite 5’2”. I am in the UK so I would need them delivered by Christmas if coming from the states (I have factored in VAT). Hopefully looking at the pic you can give me an idea of this size and length.

I think my budget is around $700 but I could go up and down from this to be honest depending on advice. If I can get a great quality necklace in your opinion for $400 then I would be interested in getting a matching stud pearl earrings to match but if you think I can only get a really good quality necklace for $700 I will blow it all on the necklace. Any links to suggestion online would be welcome.

Cheers

Last edited:
I just popped across the street here in London to Tiffanys to see the sizes and i found it very difficult to see much difference in size even up close between 6.5 and 7.5 I know the experts on here will disagree though but to the untrained eye they looked the same. Anyhow i think I will go for either of these two sets attached but probably the bottom set as I dont think pearl paradise do a two piece set as i dont think she also needs the bracelet. Is it really worth the extra from AA to AAA in your opinion?

I also tracked down the original pic and funnily enough they say its a 6.5-7

http://www.tiffany.co.uk/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=28828292&mcat=148204&cid=129074&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+129074-s+-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+&search=0&origin=browse&searchkeyword#p+1-n+10000-c+129074-s+-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+false+2-lr+-hr+-ri+

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,

Why don't you try to look at akoya pearls on Pearl Paradise website? They also have some pretty amazing metallic freshwater - both graduated (released today) and white ones (under Freshdama). That would be a slightly different look from the akoya but more value for your money. Freshwater pearls are greatly appriciated by many of the members here on PG.

You can safely be tempted by any of the websites belonging to vendors who post here. They will have links at the bottom.

- Karin

Hi KarinK, that first top screenshot is from Pearl Paradise but unfortuntely they dont do two piece sets of Akoya. I will check out the freshwater ones but i think I am keen on the Akoya.

Cheers

Siouxchief,

A lovely and thoughtful gift! If AAA is still in your budget, it will have fewer blemishes. A set is carefully matched for color, so good to get pieces at the same time, but if your wife never wears bracelets, or doesn't like them, then no need.

Your budget will definitely go further with PP (compared to Tiffany), and PP can advise you which overtones will look good on your wife, based on her coloring. (via life chat or email).

Thanks pattye, my wife didnt have much growing up so i like to treat her now. Here is a link to the two sets I was thinking about as the earlier attachment I think isnt readable. Top one is PP. Might consider the AAA now...

https://db.tt/c2FViFVl

What a thoughtful gift for your wife and I am sure she will love it! Akoya pearls are lovely and I would definitely go AAA if you can squeeze it into your budget.

Siouxchief -- akoyas are beautiful and I am sure she will love the double set Think about the overtone you want -- rose versus silver versus ivory. Here is a link to how akoyas are graded:

Future neck and ear shots would be appreciated by us! We love to see the pearls worn!

Last edited by a moderator:
The classic look is a white body color with silver or rose overtones. I would not get cream unless you know for sure that wife prefers that color. :) Oh, and what a great gift!

Thanks ladies for the tips and especially the heads up about the overtones. After looking at that link I think I will go for the silver overtones for the classic look. My wife is pale skinned as we are both of Irish descent so hopefully that will work. I think i will go for this set

with white gold and AAA and I found a 10% discount code which is handy. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back