How to tell if pearls are natural

The lab report from Bahrain means it is the real deal. Cultured pearls are wonderful and the price means less heartache if you were to damage or lose them. You can't be sure if they are natural just by looking unless they are mounted in antique jewelry, and even then pearls sometimes must be replaced and might not be original. I would focus on buying what you find to be most beautiful to your personal taste.

I think the main reason for this necklace in your link being so expensive is the size of the natural pearls. Yes, natural pearls are expensive but this kind of price is unusual. You should be able to find a good quality Basra necklace for $1000-$2000. A certificate is always good to have, otherwise buy with someone you trust. One natural pearl seller I have only heard good things about is Bodecia on Ebay.

Hi Natural wonder
Those two necklaces on ebay are probably a tad overpriced; the one you posted has large pearls but they are far from round. The other one is round, but probably over priced as well. "Natural" pearls are its own field; a tiny corner of the cultured pearls world and it is good to be knowledgeable before you start buying them.

A very tiny 2-6mm natural necklace fairly round, can be had from sellers like KariPearls for around $3-6k- a kind of ill-shaped (according to the natural pearl purists --I love them!) and gold-tinged one is for sale on Bodecea's website for under $800. Get it certified and the value will about doubled.

The best natural deal of the day, anywhere, is the natural Mississippi pearl necklace at Kari's for $2,300.

If I could pay it off in 6 months, I would get it immediately, but there is no chance of that - or of someone buying it for me, LOL, (any volunteers?) -so I hope someone here grabs it. It is the best natural MI pearl necklace I have seen in 9 years. I saw one in a Texas store for $10k- 9 years ago, but it was about 30 ". Seriously, this necklace has me in a state of pearl lust!!

so that's my 2c. If you get into natural pearls -and you can- let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Yes, Pattye! We need to mention the Pearl Collector more often. He has a couple of large cluster pearls on the sale page for 80 bucks. Great for a flashy ring or a pendent! I don't think he does PayPal, though.

Caitlin,
Are you looking at those oyster pearls? I love them! I'm drooling over the large one! Druzy Design had a cluster pendant years ago I feel in love with and have never forgotten. I'm quite certain THE PEARL COLLECTOR has a secure check out with credit card; some peeps won't use paypal and dislike it immensely.

I am looking at the oyster clusters cluster pearl.jpg( http://www.thepearlcollector.com/natural-oyster-pearl-3-92-ct/ ) There are two more of these, but this is my favorite.

Paypal is one option of many, but I like Bill Me Later. I wonder why a buyer would dislike Paypal? I know some sellers don't like it, but Kojima has it and so do the
etsy shops, such as yours, and Sheryl's, and others I can't think of just this second, but it is all of Etsy....... I do not like to leave my credit card number at a lot of places, so I use places that use PayPal as much as I can.

Last edited:
Thank you, bluelotus777 and Caitlin,

Although none of mine have been certified as yet I do have a no time limit guarantee on my naturals.

Natural Wonder, I do think that natural pearls are the absolute best but am totally prejudiced that way but my second preference is quality freshwater pearls, non nucleated. Both types should last many lifetimes with a little care. Nothing like having an all nacre pearl or pearl necklace.

I am adding a sneak peek of a natural pearl necklace I have bought. Needs restringing with knots etc. but I think when finished properly it will look stunning. This necklace is not listed on my eBay site Caitlin and probably won't be for a while so no harm in adding an unfinished photo. It is a double strand of natural Arabian Gulf pearls which I have been asked for before. Have had smaller necklaces in doubles and even 5 strands but these are larger so I am rather excited and wanted to share.

I have also been doing some candling of pearls but I still need to get a Mac compatible microscope. Results so far have not been bad but with a camera the view is not as good and it is hit or miss. Will add some of my attempts to Candled Natural Pearls when time allows although when I get my USB microscope the results should be a lot better.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Attachments

• a1 copy.jpg
    a1 copy.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 39
Back