GIA vs. EGL certification?

mrsadm

I happened across a listing on ebay for a string of pears advertised as "natural saltwater pearls" (which I have learned are extremely rare). The listing had a certification from EGL that the pearls were genuine and worth $12,000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Edwardian-Natural-Pearl-Necklace-Large-Platinum-Diamond-Clasp-19-/332155677444?hash=item4d56056b04:g:LsQAAOSwuxFYvMJa

I have heard of GIA of course but EGL was new to me. In a few Google searches, it seems there is at least from some folks a bit of controversy about EGL certifications.

I wondered if anyone here has had any experience with GIA and/or EGL? How important is it to have a certification for your pearls? Perhaps it would help with a potential insurance claim? Thanks very much.

P.S. I see the seller is a member of "American Society of Jewelry Historians" which is another organization I have yet to learn about.

Linda

EGL is another lab. They are known for grading diamonds. They are also known for grading stones a grade higher than GIA, which is why many diamond buyers only accept GIA certificates.

I've seen dubious and subjective pearl certificates from EGL.

GIA are infinitely more objective and transparent in their methods.

I'm sorry..I just don't trust most of these eBay sellers. All those positive reviews were on HER purchases..not from people who bought her items. So they are for shampoo and cologne etc.

If you insist on eBay..you will most likely end up with a dud.

I don't know that I would trust them to verify natural pearls.. Do study up on Natural Pearls - is that what you are looking for or are you just trying to find a deal? If you want a deal..just wait for sales at any of the websites we've provided. Thats going to be the best deal.

Wonderful advice Katbran. I will also say that getting to know what natural pearls really look like will help tremendously. Knowing the differences between the various types of pearls is a study in and of itself. There is a ton of really fantastic information contained within this forum, and if you have questions...ask.

I'm sorry..I just don't trust most of these eBay sellers. All those positive reviews were on HER purchases..not from people who bought her items. So they are for shampoo and cologne etc.

If you insist on eBay..you will most likely end up with a dud.

I don't know that I would trust them to verify natural pearls.. Do study up on Natural Pearls - is that what you are looking for or are you just trying to find a deal? If you want a deal..just wait for sales at any of the websites we've provided. Thats going to be the best deal.

Thanks, Katbran, I am not insisting on ebay (no way!), nor do I have any particular yearn for natural pearls. I wanted to learn what the certifications meant and find out if folks here think they are useful or valuable to have.

I am really REALLY careful about buying on ebay. I've learned much about that from other collecting areas (I could tell a few stories!). I have purchased a few pearls from some sellers I found out about here, the list of online trusted vendors, and have been very happy with them.
Linda

I used to be a member of the American Society of Jewelry Historians, a great group, but most of their events are in New York and I live in San Diego. EGL gives "easy" grades for diamonds and there are several EGL labs, so the certificate could be from a European or Asian EGL laboratory instead of the US EGL and still and be legitimate, or it could be faked.

Back