How do you store your pearls?

Lillyfuzzysocks. I love that safe!

Hisano's grandmother's chest sounds wonderful.

I had a gun safe in my last house for my pearls (which I left in the house) ...still kicking myself for that

My son has been insisting that we get a large gun safe, but we already have a small safe and once it is closed, it tends to stay closed, so I end up wearing something else. My sister in law has the wall mirror that opens up to an impressive jewelry showcase, but I do worry about things falling. Hers also locks and is embedded into the wall so it isn't so obvious that it hides jewelry. I'm trying the compartment storage right now and have one out and the rest in a container. However, I'm not reaching for that either so I keep wearing the same pieces over and over again. It would be nice to be able to hang up all my pearls, but I don't want to restring more than I have to.

Maybe some of our larger pearl sellers could come up with collapsible/recyclable boxes for delivering pearls, with inserts that could transfer into a drawer tray or wall mount? (Buy the tray or mount separately). Each insert would need the ability to securely hold 2 or 3 similar sized pieces, rather than just the one that comes in the box. Nice design challenge for someone...

A safe or a vault sounds great, but I don't think I'll ever have quite that large or valuable a collection - my main worry is just keeping it all where I can locate and wear it regularly.

I finally added one two many pearl boxes and could no longer shut the drawer... so I came up with this - based on two sizes of muffin tins and a silicon chocolate mould for the earrings/rings. There are still a few pieces that don't fit and some more expensive pieces elsewhere, but this is great for the every day collection.

IMG_0534 copy.jpg

There is another thread here where I think where I mentioned we converted an extra closet to a walk-in safe, with alarmed fire proof safes within the safe and attached to our system. My brother has now done the same, and uses gun safes, he collects antique swords and knives and other such weapons...I think his wife would rather fill it up with jewelry though (she is newly introduced to pearls and loving it)

Back