Hillary Wearing a Serious Set of South Seas at Her Confirmation

you beat me to it but I did see that this morning. It actually got me thinking, we see a lot of big strands in politics these days but do we see much in the way of matching earrings?

Well, it does look rather like Hil has on pearl earrings. Often the hair style obscures the earring from the angle the photo is taken, unfortunately. Some women who have a serious pair of diamond studs prefer them with a strand of pearls. Personally, I prefer pearl earrings also.

beadjewelry_hillaryclinton.jpg

An old photo of Hillary Clinton with matched earrings. She sure knows how to wear them.

"She sure knows how to wear them."

Absolutely. :)

yes, there is also another photo of her wearing another set of smaller SS I would imagine. I have it in my pearl workbook.

Agreed- I was watching highlights of the confirmation hearing last night on the Rachel Maddow Show (Love her to pieces btw!), and couldn't help but comment on how fabulous she looked... despite all the pants-suit jokes that have been made, I do believe that Hillary knows how to put together a look! Serious and elegant at all times.

aww well I take it back, she does have a nice big pair of earrings to match.

I tell ya, large pearl strands are what all the powerfull women are wearing these days. Besides Nancy Pelosi, great strands have been seen on Condeleeza Rice, Michelle Obama, and others. It will be fun to count the pearl stands we see in the pictures from the inauguration and inaugrual balls.

Some close-ups from yesterday's hearing on the NY Times website -- gorgeous pearls (but not matching earrings):

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/01/13/washington/0113-CLINTON_index.html

That's exactly what America needs--not an ascetic leader like Gandhi or Marcus Aurelius, but a leader who wears a gargantuan, in-your-face pearl neckace when her nation faces a titanic financial crisis. Politicians sure are a hideous lot (oh, outwardly as well). Kerry, Clinton, and the "pelican-guy" (in the photo at the URL, above) remind me of charicatures in a James Ensor painting.

I'll take the beaders, online pearl sellers, Tahitian farmers, and yuzu-seed-seekers any day.

Hillary's pearls would look much nicer as a collar for a Flemish giant rabbit! Perhaps, she will donate her neck weights to a needy animal shelter? You think?

Last edited:
That's exactly what America needs--not an ascetic leader like Gandhi or Marcus Aurelius, but a leader who wears a gargantuan, in-your-face pearl neckace when her nation faces a titanic financial crisis. Politicians sure are a hideous lot (oh, outwardly as well). Kerry, Clinton, and the "pelican-guy" (in the photo at the URL, above) remind me of charicatures in a James Ensor painting.
I'll take the beaders, online pearl sellers, Tahitian farmers, and yuzu-seed-seekers any day.
Hillary's pearls would look much nicer as a collar for a Flemish giant rabbit! Perhaps, she will donate her neck weights to a needy animal shelter? You think?

All this may well get pulled because folks keep it apolitical around here, but I can't help myself: Clinton was the first female partner at the third oldest law firm in the United States. She is a formidable legal scholar and has earned the right to wear things she enjoys.

Rabbits come and go. None of them helped normalize the presence of smart women in tough, influential fields.

All this may well get pulled because folks keep it apolitical around here, but I can't help myself: Clinton was the first female partner at the third oldest law firm in the United States. She is a formidable legal scholar and has earned the right to wear things she enjoys.
Rabbits come and go. None of them helped normalize the presence of smart women in tough, influential fields.

Hear, Hear! The woman is tough as nails. I wish (oh, how I wish!), that she'd consider nomination to the Supreme Court- I cannot imagine a more stalwart crusader for women's rights in our corner. SOS will have to do for now, but I hope that someday she'll consider the chance to have a life-long (and beyond) impact on the causes that are so dear to her, and women in the US.

And she looks great in those pearls!

Putting politics to one side, I admire her for being a strong woman. She worked hard to be where she is, and is financially independent. She can wear whatever she likes and be proud of it IMHO :)

DK :)

Love Hilary to pieces. fantastic to see that she is going to be so hugely involved in the new administration.. btw, I've been putting my money on Chelsea Clinton being your first female president for some time now.

Yes, I think Hilary has earned the right to wear her pearls. And let's face it, if the Michelles, Hilary's, and Nancy's of the world (along with lots of other famous formidable women the world over) didn't wear them, then every normal woman wouldn't have the role model, wouldn't aspire to wear pearls, and wouldn't keep the beadmakers, cottage industry pearl vendors and online vendors in business now, would they?
So I say go for it Hilary. And yes Blaire, she has had to put up with a lot. Tough woman - I love her for it!

Last edited:
Yes, I think Hilary has earned the right to wear her pearls. And let's face it, if the Michelles, Hilary's, and Nancy's of the world (along with lots of other famous formidable women the world over) didn't wear them, then every normal woman wouldn't have the role model, wouldn't aspire to wear pearls, and wouldn't keep the beadmakers, cottage industry pearl vendors and online vendors in business now, would they?

Very true, and one other thing-- I don't think most people a) notice her jewelry or b) have any idea what they cost if they do. Perhaps I'm underestimating the average pearl knowledge base, but I believe most folks on the street think "fake" long before they think "conspicuous consumption" when they see pearl jewelry.

If Hillary wants a seat on the Supreme Court, I think she'll get it. I never thought she'd overcome the decade of snark about her to perform well in a national election, but now I don't think anything short of a catastrophe could remove her

IIRC Jeffrey Toobin, the guy who wrote The Nine, told Terry Gross before the election that he expected a democratic president to nominate his/her opponent for the court, half to reward talent, half to prevent them from mounting another formidable campaign four years later. :)

Last edited:
Very true, and one other thing-- I don't think most people a) notice her jewelry or b) have any idea what they cost if they do. Perhaps I'm underestimating the average pearl knowledge base, but I believe most folks on the street think "fake" long before they think "conspicuous consumption" when they see pearl jewelry.

I totally agree with you Lauren. Pearls are seen as a standard part of a classic wardrobe and doesn't neccessarily convey excess. It's true that most people do not have an understanding of what they are worth. When I worked in sales, clients were often surprised at the cost of pearls.

I think its funny how you will see women of power wearing significant pearls, but if you were watching the Golden Globe awards, you didn't see many starlets wearing pearls if at all.

Back