Help Me Choose!

Renna

Community member
So...

It's my birthday this month. I will have officially lived a quarter of a century, and I am going to spoil myself by purchasing more (what else?!) PEARLS. No one else is going to buy them for me so I'm going the Kuzco route. ("It's my birthday gift to ME! I'm so happy." TuT )

I was torn between Tahitian, white SS, and gold SS. The heavens saw fit to be merciful to me...turns out that PP has low inventory of gold SS right now so I only have two to choose between. Really, it's for the best, although I have a nasty feeling I'm going to get one of each anyway.

Moving on to the best part, GLAMOUR SHOTS! Lynsey from PP selected some pairs for me, and I present them without further ado.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/14k86j6.jpg Tahitians. I'm debating between the banded baroques, second from the bottom (11-12 mm) and the smooth, greeny-blue drops fourth from the bottom (9-10 mm). I'd put them on either the Classic or Threader setting.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/qoaob8.jpg South Sea, aren't they beautiful?! The very bottom pair is a whopping 11-12 mm, but I already know I like the very first pair best (10-11mm). I'd put them on PP's blossom setting, in white gold...to me they look like snowdrop buds with the teardrop shape.

Also, I don't like the pair, but isn't that rosy pearl on the right side gorgeous?! I've decided I like a very smooth ripple in the pearl, it's pretty without being distracting.

Please share your opinions, and enjoy the photos! :)

Renna

P.S. Click the links, you can zoom and see the pearls a lot better than via attachment.

Attachments

• 14k86j6.jpg
    14k86j6.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 34
Yea, Renna! Happy Birthday!

Yeah, yeah, the banded Tahitians second from the bottom!

Last edited:
Hello Renna,
Wow..they ARE lovely...like the elegance of the pearshape against the slightly angular fittings :) whichever you choose, they are sure to make your birthday gorgeous!!

You could do the 'heart test'. Imagine for each pair how you will feel if that pair was sold to someone else and no longer available. The one you cannot live without is your choice :)

- Karin

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's so much fun to look at options set out so nicely.

You can't go wrong! Please share ear shots when you receive them and Happy Birthday!

I think they are all wonderful. I tend to go for tbe ones that have a lot of green. :)

You could do the 'heart test'. Imagine for each pair how you will feel if that pair was sold to someone else and no longer available. The one you cannot live without is your choice :)

- Karin

Very good advice :)

4th pair from the top for Tahitians based on colour and shape.

For white SSPs, I prefer the shape of the bottom pair.

DK :)

FURTHER ADVICE NEEDED. Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies thus far; sadly, I become easily attached to inanimate objects so "heart test" doesn't always do it for me....but it does help ^^

Thanks, dkan, I actually think the last pair of white SSP are lovely, but I can't afford them. I was estimating price based on the PP website's prices for finished jewelry, I didn't realize they'd be charging by pearl + pearl + finding, which is significantly more expensive. The larger SSPs were out of my range even by my first guesses and now I'm 100% certain they're over the top. Someone richer can love them. ;) Besides, l think teardrops flatter my (very round) face a bit better. I get self-conscious about wearing circular earrings cuz I swear it makes it worse. XD

ANYWAY, the question I had for you all --

I love the banded Tahitian on the right side, second from bottom, but not so much the one on the left. Do you think it would be okay to ask them to hold that one, or buy it and have them hold, and wait patiently to see if a better match for it shows up? I don't wear a lot of green and I like the teal, green, and eggplant tones in the right pearl, I think it will go well with just about everything I have, but the left one seems almost totally green. Is it likely that a better match will turn up over the course of a few buying runs? Or should I just stick the pearl I don't like on the side where my hair refuses to be tucked behind my ear and will cover most of it anyway?

Thank you all!

Teardrop shaped pearls are earring winners. :)

You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to match such a distinctive pearl. If it were just the color, no problem. Getting the same color, the same size, the same shape and the same rings might take a couple of years or never happen at all. I would wait until they get a new lot of loose pearls and can match up some new earring pairs. Maybe your heart strings will quiver! :)

What about saving the photo and getting put on the wish list for Spring?

What is it you love best about that pearl? Shape, color? Write it down, develop your ideas.

I think the Tahitians you are looking at are gorgeous! Remember that photo was taken in a light box so in regular lighting they will probably look like a closer match. I have a lovely pair of blue/green baroque Tahitian dangles from PP and one of them has this gorgeous pink on the top half of the pearl. I have grown to love the individual beauty of each earring and think they look fantastic on...there is no doubt that they are real. If I were you I would give them a try...they look like a lovely match to me!

Good consolation - realizing there are pearls in future harvests that'll please you more!

FURTHER ADVICE NEEDED. Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies thus far; sadly, I become easily attached to inanimate objects so "heart test" doesn't always do it for me....but it does help ^^

Thanks, dkan, I actually think the last pair of white SSP are lovely, but I can't afford them. I was estimating price based on the PP website's prices for finished jewelry, I didn't realize they'd be charging by pearl + pearl + finding, which is significantly more expensive. The larger SSPs were out of my range even by my first guesses and now I'm 100% certain they're over the top. Someone richer can love them. ;) Besides, l think teardrops flatter my (very round) face a bit better. I get self-conscious about wearing circular earrings cuz I swear it makes it worse. XD

ANYWAY, the question I had for you all --

I love the banded Tahitian on the right side, second from bottom, but not so much the one on the left. Do you think it would be okay to ask them to hold that one, or buy it and have them hold, and wait patiently to see if a better match for it shows up? I don't wear a lot of green and I like the teal, green, and eggplant tones in the right pearl, I think it will go well with just about everything I have, but the left one seems almost totally green. Is it likely that a better match will turn up over the course of a few buying runs? Or should I just stick the pearl I don't like on the side where my hair refuses to be tucked behind my ear and will cover most of it anyway?

Thank you all!

I agree with the point that the photos are what we call glamour shots. They won't look quite like this most of the time in real life. It does seem to me that the left pearl has a lot of colour other than green, especially around the middle. I guess I also don't get the point of the need to wear green with a green pearl :) I have a pair with a mostly green and a mostly bronze pearl and I wear mainly black with mainly pink accents. No problems at all! In fact I think wearing green would make the pearl look more bland. You need contrast to make jewelry look its best I find - unless of course you are covered in emeralds and wear a dress in exactly the same colour...

- Karin

UPDATE!!!

My slowness is only halfway my fault, in fairness to myself. Holiday rush and one of the banded Tahitians turned out to be a surprise full-drill so that added a few extra weeks....I got them just before Christmas and have been enjoying sinus infections ever since.

BUT THEY CAME, YES I ENDED UP BUYING BOTH because I'm completely pathetic, and as a final bonus my parents bought me Tahitian studs for Christmas. ^__^

I still need more, of course, but I love, love, love the ones I have and have been wearing them all constantly. Aaaand in the final spot of good news, I got a camera courtesy of really good deals on Black Friday. So -- ear shots to follow; we'll see what happens!

UPDATE!!!

My slowness is only halfway my fault, in fairness to myself. Holiday rush and one of the banded Tahitians turned out to be a surprise full-drill so that added a few extra weeks....I got them just before Christmas and have been enjoying sinus infections ever since.

BUT THEY CAME, YES I ENDED UP BUYING BOTH because I'm completely pathetic, and as a final bonus my parents bought me Tahitian studs for Christmas. ^__^

I still need more, of course, but I love, love, love the ones I have and have been wearing them all constantly. Aaaand in the final spot of good news, I got a camera courtesy of really good deals on Black Friday. So -- ear shots to follow; we'll see what happens!

Yes, ear shots please! We'd love to see them on you!

Yay! I am looking forward to your ear shots. I loved looking through your options again just now. Those glamour shots make me salivate.

Back