Golden Akoya Pearls

Thanks for all the comments.

We are 80% ready to pull the trigger on them. I told Ueda-san when we were first examining them that I thought the best way to make a decision was to ask people here what they thought!

But whites.... well, I think the RIGHT whites are far from boring - thinking here of Jeremy's beautiful untreated white akoyas that I saw at the ruckus - they were magnificent. And with a black dress, the beauty is not in the white, but in the amazing range of overtones.

That's right. I'd forgotten I pulled those out when you were here. We've had some for a while, but the challenge has been to photograph them in a way to show the true color, and explain the color. That's why they are not on our site. We've kept them for in-house customers.

That's right. I'd forgotten I pulled those out when you were here. We've had some for a while, but the challenge has been to photograph them in a way to show the true color, and explain the color. That's why they are not on our site. We've kept them for in-house customers.

:( I didn't get to see them (eye candy only). Boo hoo. But...I'd prefer the exotic FW first since I am not in the market for white strand anymore... I think. :D

I saw our local newscaster (Asian) wore a GSS strand on TV recently. She has darker complexion than mine; and she looked magnificent in it.

I would love a strand and matching earrings in a larger size. Yum!

Jeremy,
If you decide to carry this line and have more than one shade of gold, it would be interesting to see them on Pearl Paradise models' wrists. I am thinking of showing light and dark gold against 3 skin colors like the white akoyas' overtone photo. Just a thought!

Jeremy,
If you decide to carry this line and have more than one shade of gold, it would be interesting to see them on Pearl Paradise models' wrists. I am thinking of showing light and dark gold against 3 skin colors like the white akoyas' overtone photo. Just a thought!

I second this kind of strategy. If there is a range of tones available they really will look different on various skin tones/undertones and you would be able to demonstrate the versatility to the online market. Now I'm really thinking about earrings in a rich, deep gold but I digress...

I'm an example of someone who is pale yet, because of the tones in my coloring, I really do look better in yellow gold and wear (small amounts of) higher karat because of this. Either that or a matte texture in white metals. The reason I mention this is I'm imagining you could show how the pearls are set off not only by the wearer's skin tones but also by the metals against which they are set. Sandblasted gold can be a way of getting some depth to the color complement without getting into higher karats. Likewise different textures of white gold or sterling could really be stunning in otherwise simple pieces like bypass rings or a pendant.

Are there photos of some of the other untreated examples? Also, are gold akoya baroques any part of the production?

Last edited:
There is some demand for the natural-color akoya, especially in Japan. The Madama, as it's called, is more expensive in Japan than they hanadama. Madama is the hanadama term used for the blue-silver-rose round strands that have been certified.

A couple more questions, and please pardon my digression (must be something in the air):
To be certain I understand, does Madama indicate a certified untreated strand? Are these ever exported or are they strictly available in Japan?

Those pearls are absolulty stunning!
As a lowly beader I could do so much this this colour.
Yellow gold is very popular, combined with gold pearls it makes a striking and complimentary effect.

From what I have seen in Asia - gold pearls appear to be quite popular.

From those images - it looks like the quality is getting back to what it used to be - bring it on :)

Hanaleimom: I am not in the market for white strand anymore... I think. :D

But you will be when you find the right white strand. I love good whites...
Now I am pretty fairskinned etc but I think I can pull of GSS pretty well. I find it amazing how it isn't just one type of skintone that works with each pearl hue.

I've come back a few times to relook at these akoyas - they are a gentler colour that the ones I had... mmm, wish I had been sent these instead!

hey, nice pearls. stunning deep gold colour.

What are they in though, they look like eggs arranged on a tray just like I just got from the farm?

What are they in though, they look like eggs arranged on a tray just like I just got from the farm?

That was my first impression. Then I saw gold liquid. But if you look to the left, you can see the whole pearl. I think because they are too metallic plus Jeremy probably didn't photoshop to take the yellow cast off from the overhead lights.

I love these! I happen to look much better in yellow gold than white or platinum so I would definitely be interested in these!

Hanaleimom: I am not in the market for white strand anymore... I think. :D

But you will be when you find the right white strand. I love good whites...

Nerida, maybe so. Now you've stirred my curiousity to compare my white freshadama to the good white akoya that Jeremy has. :)

Now I am pretty fairskinned etc but I think I can pull of GSS pretty well. I find it amazing how it isn't just one type of skintone that works with each pearl hue.

I can't figure out lighter or deeper gold is better on me. But I kept going back to this thread to look at these.

Golden Akoyas

Golden Akoyas

They are lovely, the only thing that would keep me from buying is that the price will be rather high, if they have the same quality as Hanadamas. What sizes would be available and of course - what would be the price for 8,5 - 9 mm?

They aren't in anything. They are just a few strands lined up on the showroom table. I shot just a rough shot to quickly post here in order to make a decision yesterday.

Heidi said:
A couple more questions, and please pardon my digression (must be something in the air):
To be certain I understand, does Madama indicate a certified untreated strand? Are these ever exported or are they strictly available in Japan?

Madama is the Japanese word for the best quality in silver/blue rounds. The silver blues aren't usually round. They're baroque or semi-baroque. Even the certified madama strands I've seen show some uneven pearls. Ueda-san explained why briefly yesterday, so I'll ask him for clarification today. He said they are blue because of something that happens in the pearl sac, which is why they are not round either.

The madama are exported, but the primary market is Japan where they're very popular. The production is low too, so nearly all of the rounds are bought up by Otsuki Pearl.

I don't think I would call them untreated either. Coming from Japan, it is hard to get any pearls that have not gone through any sort of treatment. This goes for South Sea pearls as well as akoya. Typical treatments would include maeshori (preprocessing) and polishing. What makes the natural colors different is that there is no color addition or bleaching. Normally, akoya will always be bleached, and then pinked.

The hanadama certificate for the natural-color strands have one line in the notes section absent from all other hanadama certificates. It says "no indication of color addition."

Hey Jeremy -- I just used your picture on my computer as wallpaper! The pearls look awesome in a huge picture -- thanks.

Back