Golden Akoya Pearls

jshepherd

What do people here think of golden akoya pearls in natural color? I've been working with a Japanese producer that specializes in natural-color akoya like the blue and natural white, but there is also natural gold of course.

Years ago we carried golden akoya, but they were dyed. Eventually I decided not to carry them for that reason.

Thoughts?

Golden Akoya Pearls from Pearl Paradise

Hi Jeremy

I think these are way too gold to be within the natural color range of akoyas. However, this producer may have a very inbred stock of gold akoyas selected for such color over a number of generations. If they bred the yellow color out of their oysters to produce whiter pearls, why couldn't they bred the white color out to produce these.

Is this Japanese producer producing these pearls in Japan? or somewhere else

Other option is the use of mantle tissue from another species. If this is the case, are they still 'akoyas'?

I like these pearls. I prefer gold pearls to white pearls.
what do you think of them?
H

The color is definitely natural. This is the same producer (yes, Japan) that created the natural white (Okuna) line. A lot of the batch has been lab-certified as natural color. The intensity of the gold ranges from yellow to deep bronze.

I've seen a lot of golds come out during harvests, and a lot of blues as well. Most of the time they're bleached out.

I like them. They're something different.

Other option is the use of mantle tissue from another species. If this is the case, are they still 'akoyas'. H

Ah yes, why not? We did have a hoax about the Siberian
Transgrafts a few years ago. It was mantle tissue from SS's put into freshwater mussels. Supposedly, the cold weather put a fine finish on the pearls...........

The idea does seem plausible, though. SS mantle tissue in a freshwater mussel could yield solid nacre SS in a much shorter time than in another saltwater pinctada- if it could survive without anti-rejection drugs ;).

Does anyone know of any attempts to do this that aren't a fan-t-zee*?

*fan-t-zee = lies by Zeide.:p

fan-t-zee

I love it.

On topic: I am personally very interested in a natural gold Akoya pearl, or many of them as the case may be. I could see these doing well in a variety of sizes and applications but my first inclination is earrings. Just a different take on the classic stud - with the added bonus of an interesting color that's natural. A graduated strand would be lovely too.

I don't wear gold or gold color, but I have come to believe that gold pearls of any species are the pinnacle of pearldom. They are absolutely Royal. I can see gold akoyas becoming a winning market strategy. I am so glad the good colors are now removed before before bleaching. I hope it catches on!

Golden pearls are Yolanda's (Tom's beautiful wife) best look. Golden pearls with 22k gold findings that match is the ultimate-- but goldens to match 18K and even 14k would be fabulous too.Pearls in these fancy colors are on the crest of the wave in Pearls.

I think maybe in a couple of years, there will be significantly less bleaching of otherwise fine pearls. They are so much more organic.

Last edited:
I think they are gorgeous. I am not sure which gold shade is best for me though. I hope the industry recognizes that there is a niche out there like some of us who prefer non-bleached pearls. Color pearls make nice eye candies. White pearls are pretty, but they are not too interesting, IMHO.

I've been speaking with Ueda-san about the golds (he is here visiting for the week), and he tells me that the farmers have been trying to use shells that are more "iro ga nai," or colorless to grow whiter pearls. As it stands, a crop with too many yellows or golds is a crop that won't sell well.

His blue and silver-blue rounds are interesting too. Some have a strong pink tone to them. The color is hard to describe.

I do like the golds, but my favorites are the natural whites (I know, boring, eh?)

Btw, he believes half the farmers in Japan will be closing up shop next year.

For women who wear gold, the golden akoyas would be simple, understated elegance for a dressy event. I really want these to get popular!

His blue and silver-blue rounds are interesting too. Some have a strong pink tone to them. The color is hard to describe.
Got any photos of those?

Last edited:
I do like the golds, but my favorites are the natural whites (I know, boring, eh?)

White strand pops when paired with black dress, not boring at all. Non-white pearls wake up my senses better. What are the sizes of the golden ones? They look like they are immersed in golden liquid because of the shimmer.

Just re-read Caitlin's post. These golden ones would pop with black dresses too.

Last edited:
A little black dress with a strand of goldens would be a different, but stunning, look.

Time for Mia and others in the office, to do some more modeling.

Golden pearls would look great on women at a wedding, (anyone except the bride) or at any time that isn't diamond necklace time! I think they are a great replacement for diamonds, for less ostentatious people, too. Totally more green than diamonds!

If brown pearls swept the market, goldens ought to be able to to equal it.

I think there is a market for them. Golden tones do not look as good on me, but I think it will be a stunner on people with darker skin.

I've been speaking with Ueda-san about the golds (he is here visiting for the week), and he tells me that the farmers have been trying to use shells that are more "iro ga nai," or colorless to grow whiter pearls. As it stands, a crop with too many yellows or golds is a crop that won't sell well.

It was in the mid 90s that they produced 'white oysters' to use as mantle donors (or at least it was when they published it). And they significantly improved the numbers of white colored pearls. The same rationale was used for these earlier experiments, that a crop with too many yellows was not desirable.

Now I wonder if at the same time they were cross breeding 'white' oysters, they were also cross breeding 'yellow oysters'. But why would they want to produce gold pearls if by their own standards, yellow or gold pearls won't sell well... or will reduce the value of a crop

It's interesting to have a gold akoya, but when you hear akoya you don't picture a gold pearl, you picture a white pearl (with or without all their pinks, blues or silver tones). Would be like producing a white black pearl (not that it hasn't been produced).

If there are gold SSP and gold FWP, is it really that good idea to have a gold akoya? It may be... may save Ueda-san pearl farm from closing.

Still not sure where to stand on this. All I'm sure is that I like them
H

I think what is really comes down to is frequency of golds versus whites. Atlas is a white producer, but they do harvest some gold. Jewelmer is a gold producer, but they do harvest some white.

There is some demand for the natural-color akoya, especially in Japan. The Madama, as it's called, is more expensive in Japan than they hanadama. Madama is the hanadama term used for the blue-silver-rose round strands that have been certified.

There was a woman in a suit walking down the street at lunchtime recently. She had on a graduated strand of golden akoya. 5 to 8mm maybe. They were stunning.
I like the new graduation which runs from say 7 to 7.5mm or so. My husband prefers the old style of graduation which would run from 3 to 8mm. He prefers the silver blue.
I like white or gold.

We are not surprised that they have a name and a hefty price tag.
Madama. Good to know.
barbie

I had some golden akoyas sent to me on consignment recently, but I returned them to my supplier - I liked them, but knew I wouldn't find a strong market for them. Maybe that will change in time! I LOVE GSS golds - the nice creamy champagne golds, and yes, they make a black dress pop!

But whites.... well, I think the RIGHT whites are far from boring - thinking here of Jeremy's beautiful untreated white akoyas that I saw at the ruckus - they were magnificent. And with a black dress, the beauty is not in the white, but in the amazing range of overtones.

Absolutely gorgeous! Whereas golden south sea are out of my price range, golden akoya are probably something I could afford. I've been wanting some natural golden akoya for quite some time. As a redhead, gold looks good on me -- so bring 'em on!

Back