Faceted Pearls, Examined.

I like them, but in small quantities, like for earrings or pendants. A strand would be too much for me. A fab pair for earrings has been on my 'want' list for a while.

Where can we buy them from?

I agree. I like the idea of the faceted pearls for earrings or a pendant or ring, but not as a full necklace. I think they would "read" as fake as a whole strand. I could see them as a single faceted pearl in a necklace of round pearls that contrast in color, as an accent. Given how expensive it must be to facet them, that's probably the only way we could afford them anyway. Win-win.

I really like them, and that bubble like illusion they get is really cool in person.
faceted-tahitian-pearl.jpg

Not really a fan of the faceted strands of Freshwater, but dark pearls can be pretty sexy...

faceted-pearls.jpg

Do they hand facet the pearls with a machine like drilling pearls, or is it fully automated? Or hand faceted with a hand tool? Hope my question makes sense.

That drop is gorgeous. It's going to make an amazing pendant.

I agree, the dark pearls look better faceted than the light ones. It brings out the colors in the dark pearls.

Still not a fan of an entire strand, though.

I think a pendant and earrings in black would be faboo. ♡♡♡

Do they hand facet the pearls with a machine like drilling pearls, or is it fully automated? Or hand faceted with a hand tool? Hope my question makes sense.
They do it by hand on a wheel, like diamonds. Diamonds can be automated, but I don't think pearls can. :)

I saw a faceted Tahitian drop pearl in person, just once. The optical illusion of convex curves is fascinating. Just beautiful!

I suppose this creates a new opportunity for pearls with surface flaws. I personally prefer the look of carved pearls to the faceted ones. But I haven't seen them in person, so I suppose I shouldn't judge...I've been known to change my mind a time or two!

What a great observation, JerseyPearl! Superficial flaws would just be carved off.

Actually, I thought the faceted pearls were invented to shave off the flaws. Just like mounting diamonds in pearls is used to hide a flaw.

Back